Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Brixton food & drink news: new restaurants, bars, pop ups, cafes and more

Hope this isn't too self promoting, but Guzzl, the food store in Brixton Village, is having a tasting evening tomorrow between 7pm and 9pm. 10% off everything in the store, a free glass of fizz and lots of things to sample. If you fancy coming along then please do register at so I know how much plonk to buy! You can find us between Full Moon Designs and Champagne and Fromage.
Thanks
Andrew

Because of the recent mass influx of the aforementioned well heeled investors and handsomely backed entrepreneurs, there's clearly no chance for new local businesses without that kind of muscle and on-trend connections to get a foothold.

Pop Brixton pretended to be about helping those sort of community-spawned start-ups but real opportunities proved to be few and far between unless your face fitted. The 'meanwhile' space by Loughborough Junction is good though as that affords real opportunities to locals trying out businesses, rather than the likes of the NZ wine importers, guardian angel property scum and hip, social-media pumped-up food outlets that occupy Pop.

I would agree with this.

"Meanwhile" don't have the press coverage of Turner/ Pop. They quietly get on with utilizing under used space in Loughborough Junction.

I had a bloody great meal here and its refreshing to see a business really making an effort to give something back to the community. Anyone else been?

van-gogh-restaurant-01.jpg

van-gogh-restaurant-05.jpg

Brixton’s Café Van Gogh: a social enterprise serving delicious vegan food in a lovely location

Reactions: ash
I had a bloody great meal here and its refreshing to see a business really making an effort to give something back to the community. Anyone else been?

van-gogh-restaurant-01.jpg

van-gogh-restaurant-05.jpg

Brixton’s Café Van Gogh: a social enterprise serving delicious vegan food in a lovely location
I’ve been quite a few times during the day they’ve got a lovely courtyard and I liked the inside but it looks stunning at night. The food is amazing consistently and lovely staff, it’s a good place to get some work done I’ve stopped there for a couple of hours if I’ve been between visits.

I’ve been quite a few times during the day they’ve got a lovely courtyard and I liked the inside but it looks stunning at night. The food is amazing consistently and lovely staff, it’s a good place to get some work done I’ve stopped there for a couple of hours if I’ve been between visits.
Yes, it's lovely there.

It's a shame that places like this - who really do something meaningful to contribute to the local community - often get overlooked in the foodie media. If Pop Brixton had been full of social enterprises like this, I'd have been as happy as can be!

I don't know if we qualify as "foodie media", but we have reviewed it recently. And we liked it, even though we are far from being vegans.

See here Café Van Gogh
I'm glad you liked it too, but please don't take offence! I was referring to the more popular press/Sunday supplements and all the PR-driven social media froth that seems to surround the opening of some public-schoolboy-backed venture in Pop Brixton or wherever.

PS. I liked your bacon sarnie piece - £2 from Sam's cafe and FIVE quid from Canova Hall!

Unless it is struggling, what's the benefit of it being featured in the popular press? Surely it will just ensure that it is overtaken by postcode / foodie tourists?

any recommendations of where you can sit outside in the evening, in the sunshine, and eat a meal in Brixton? nowhere silly that charges more than a tenner for a decent meal.

Could only really think of the POW terrace but their new pizza menu looks worse than it used to be, and the drinks on the terrace are served in reused, dirty, cracked, student union esque plastic cups.

any recommendations of where you can sit outside in the evening, in the sunshine, and eat a meal in Brixton? nowhere silly that charges more than a tenner for a decent meal.

Could only really think of the POW terrace but their new pizza menu looks worse than it used to be, and the drinks on the terrace are served in reused, dirty, cracked, student union esque plastic cups.
If you want the full middle class Clapham/Chelsea experience, you can graze outside Canova Hall in Ferndale Road. I'm figuring you don't, so for something a bit more Brixton, Kata Kata on Brixton Hill has a nice outdoor area (they're open till 10pm).

If you are happy with pub experience then Duke of Edinburgh has large beer garden/concrete terrace area not sure on the quality of the food, personally a picnic in Brockwell park would always be my pick maybe avoid that for few weeks !!

If you are happy with pub experience then Duke of Edinburgh has large beer garden/concrete terrace area not sure on the quality of the food, personally a picnic in Brockwell park would always be my pick maybe avoid that for few weeks !!
Last time I went to the Duke the 'garden' was almost 100% tables!

Last time I went to the Duke the 'garden' was almost 100% tables!
Yeah they seem to have pushed as many benches in as possible. Understand the place wants to maximize space/profit but kinda ruined the atmosphere with rows and rows of benches. Anchor and Hope had pretty large garden as well.

Any recommendations for somewhere for grub this evening? Am a bit out of the loop with Brixton restaurants. Not curry, but anything else is good.

Any recommendations for somewhere for grub this evening? Am a bit out of the loop with Brixton restaurants. Not curry, but anything else is good.
I was pleasantly surprised by Rosas Thai the other day.

Went for lunch because the also very tasty Italian in Pop was closed.

This, or the Sicilian place opposite (is that where you meant Rushy?)
Yep. Something Trattoria.

Have to admit I didn't particularly enjoy Smoke and Salt. It was interesting and I'll definitely give it another go but suspect that it is targeted at a more sophisticated palate than mine!

Baba G in Pop Brixton is fantastic as well

I really liked Baba G's. It's survives a deliveroo transport really well, which a lot of places don't.

And the dim sum from Pop is really good. Can't remember the name.

Back
Top Bottom