Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Brixton food & drink news: new restaurants, bars, pop ups, cafes and more

I’ve just remembered another one! Birdcage at the top of the Ritzy. Wasn’t around for very long but was quite fancy.

Noodle House (chl). The Gallery. Ferndales. SW9. Bamboula. Neon. The Ethiopian. Bahn Thai. Pangea. Then the caffs.

I really liked Helter Skelter. It was way ahead of the curve making the most of all the knackered old tiles and mismatched furniture. But at £40 a head almost 20yrs ago I think I went twice, both times to celebrate housemates' promotions.

It was nothing like now but I don't recall having a problem finding places to eat out. Mind you, I ate out less in general and was up in town a lot more.

My uncle used to describe kids staring into a full fridge and not being able to see anything to eat as having fridge blindness. Nowadays I sometimes get restaurant blindness - so many to choose from but nothing that really appeals right this minute!

I liked Helter Skelter. Places I remember when I was first in Brixton include a place on Acre Lane, where Barrio now is, Bon Ton Roulet in Herne Hill, the Original Restaurant Provencal in Herne Hill before it became Pullens and Cafe Provencal moved to its current location, then Bah Humbug and the original Lounge when it was smaller and further down Atlantic. But I didn't really eat out anywhere except the original Francos in the market. And drink in the Albert back when the landlady banned anyone with a mobile phone because they were only used by drug dealers in those days! And the Ritzy sold big hunks of homemade cake very cheaply, that could sustain you through a good double bill.

Of course. Bah Humbug and Ecco! How could I forget those.

Barrio was Z Bar run by the guy who set up Kiss FM, Mac I think. Although you might be thinking further back.

Of course. Bah Humbug and Ecco! How could I forget those.

Barrio was Z Bar run by the guy who set up Kiss FM, Mac I think. Although you might be thinking further back.
Yes, before it became Z Bar, I think.
It wasn't very good.
Maybe it was Z Bar.

Noodle House (chl). The Gallery. Ferndales. SW9. Bamboula. Neon. The Ethiopian. Bahn Thai. Pangea. Then the caffs.

I really liked Helter Skelter. It was way ahead of the curve making the most of all the knackered old tiles and mismatched furniture. But at £40 a head almost 20yrs ago I think I went twice, both times to celebrate housemates' promotions.

It was nothing like now but I don't recall having a problem finding places to eat out. Mind you, I ate out less in general and was up in town a lot more.

My uncle used to describe kids staring into a full fridge and not being able to see anything to eat as having fridge blindness. Nowadays I sometimes get restaurant blindness - so many to choose from but nothing that really appeals right this minute!

Ferndales is still going strong

Kricket served up a fabulous celebratory meal for my ex's birthday last week. Outstanding tapas style Indian food with ne'er a grain of rice in sight. Highly recommended.

It might be interesting but there's a paywall so I don't know. Apart from anything else, I don't want to give money to the Barclay twins.
I couldn't give much of a fuck what the Telegraph thinks about anything in Brixton, and that title makes me even less inclined to look at the review. I liked it best when Brixton wasn't a regular fixture in that rag for trendy and pricey foodie joints.

I couldn't give much of a fuck what the Telegraph thinks about anything in Brixton, and that title makes me even less inclined to look at the review. I liked it best when Brixton wasn't a regular fixture in that rag for trendy and pricey foodie joints.
Really!!?

I would never have guessed!

Snake: Wild Caper in Market Row has changed hands and the coffee is now terrible.

Ladder: Blank has opened on Acre Lane (opposite where Opus was) and the coffee is excellent.

BB7DF527-A98C-4C1F-9227-3FF48DF05072.jpeg

Blank is not bad. I had brunch there a while back, a sausage muffin and shared a cake. The cake was amazing and the sausage so so. Which was a bit odd, till someone pointed out that it was all vegan and I just hadn't noticed.

Which makes it a pretty amazing vegan sausage !

Alex

Yup - recommended (except if you're eating with someone with hearing problems) - wrote about it on Coldharbour Lane thread.

Has anyone tried the new Vietnamese place on Coldharbour Lane?
It was pretty much empty last night. Its ultra-swishiness sits a bit uncomfortably on that stretch to my eyes, but it'll all soon be completely gentrified anyway.

Sorry editor but I disagree on this. It's not "ultra swishy" - it's just very simple and hard surfaces everywhere. To me nothing in the decor or on the menu screams "this is for the 1%". Not a lot more posh than Speedy Noodle in the look (the food is a million miles better). To me it's the fake-bohemian hanging plants and pretentiousness of the Shrub & Shutter next door that really grind the gears.

Sorry editor but I disagree on this. It's not "ultra swishy" - it's just very simple and hard surfaces everywhere. To me nothing in the decor or on the menu screams "this is for the 1%". Not a lot more posh than Speedy Noodle in the look (the food is a million miles better). To me it's the fake-bohemian hanging plants and pretentiousness of the Shrub & Shutter next door that really grind the gears.
I'm not commentating on the prices - from what I gather they're quite reasonable - but it does present a very stylish, minimalist image to my eyes, which although very pleasant, looks even more at odds on that stretch than the truly awful Shrub & Shutter.

Back
Top Bottom