Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Brixton food & drink news: new restaurants, bars, pop ups, cafes and more

Not sure that's correct. I was walking down Lavender Hill towards Clapham Junction on my way to work a couple of years ago, and a couple of builder-looking blokes approached me and asked if there was a working-class caff anywhere close. (Their actual words were, "Somewhere we can get a cup of tea.") I thought I knew the area quite well, but was totally stumped.

'Up the Junction' seemed very distant indeed!
There's not many affordable cafes left in the centre of Brixton any more. The cafe in Market Row seems to be hanging on but I wouldn't gamble on it being there for long.

There are quite a few non-trendy barbers that have opened on Atlantic Rd recently. I walk past them every day and there are more new hairdressers than any other business. They mostly service the non-white community, as far as I can see.
"Quite a few"? How many is that? 6? 9? I've only seen the one opposite the village entrance

Mind you, the part of Atlantic Road south of the Dogstar seems pretty safe from gentrification for a while. Like every business before it (apart from the much missed Kaff) that awful gravy dripping burger chain seems to be struggling (and turning to cocktail-shunting) ad there's considerably less footfall along that strip. There is however, a hyper trendy barbers who moved in a while ago and that dreadful, permanently empty 'trainers curating' Article place.

the new vegan gaff on Brixton Road was open last night, didn't get a look at the menu
But they seem to have gone for a industrial look which will probably appeal to fans of the Crib5 a few doors down.....
image.jpeg

the new vegan gaff on Brixton Road was open last night, didn't get a look at the menu
But they seem to have gone for a industrial look which will probably appeal to fans of the Crib5 a few doors down.....
View attachment 143957
It's rather a cold looking affair, isn't it? Normally I associate vegan places with a more welcoming and brighter decor. I'll try and check it out soon though.

It's just about happened in Brixton already. There's been countless trendy barbers opening up and I'm struggling to think of any 'normal' affordable ones left in the centre.

Went to the Barber of Seville the other month and they charged me £25 - up from about £15 last time I went, which was a bit of a shock. They said rent had gone up and now they charge by length/time (which isn't unfair I guess). Bit of a jump though

Went to the Barber of Seville the other month and they charged me £25 - up from about £15 last time I went, which was a bit of a shock. They said rent had gone up and now they charge by length/time (which isn't unfair I guess). Bit of a jump though
Really? That’s disappointing. Been using them for a while and they’re alright, but £25 for a barber haircut is not for me.

Blimey. That is a hefty jump but rents are going to keep on rising and posher businesses/chains are more likely to move in to service Brixton's more well off demographic.

Well to be fair I did have longish hair. Think trick with them would be to sort out price first. I just assumed it would be how it was

Now George has gone and the other Greek Cypriot barber has gone from Loughborough road I've been using Barber of Seville.

Actually as regular now they appear to charge me around £10. But I have number two straightforward cut.

I can understand if they put up prices. Even long standing business may have to change prices to cope with rent increases. Its shit. I don't blame the business I blame landlords.

Take the NR arches. They promise business will come back. If they do they will likely have to put up prices. Cater for new demographic. Which will mean old long standing customers won't be able to afford it when they come back.

Gentrification isn't just about pushing out long standing business its also about long standing business changing to survive.

Which means social cleansing in an other way.

We went to Van Gogh a while back for the Sunday lunch. Its very good. Im not usually that keen on vegan food. Vegetarian I prefer as I eat cheese and eggs. But Van Gogh was exceptionally good imo. And its a genuine social enterprise. Friendly staff as well. Not to expensive.

We went to Van Gogh a while back for the Sunday lunch. Its very good. Im not usually that keen on vegan food. Vegetarian I prefer as I eat cheese and eggs. But Van Gogh was exceptionally good imo. And its a genuine social enterprise. Friendly staff as well. Not to expensive.
Yep. They're the sort of businesses Lambeth should be attracting and encouraging people to support not all the hipster shit and faux independents.

There is no reason why a middle ground cannot be achieved- though of course how to go about achieving it is a different matter altogether.

Some high streets/ areas can and do have an array of local shops that are soul destroying. Tulse Hill is not the worst I’ve seen but still pretty shit, and I so wish we got a few interesting businesses in even if some might consider them posh or hipsterish (which in many cases when such accusations are made, they’re not).

And there certainly is room for both ends of the spectrum. Clapham Junction is a good example IMO. You have fast food fried chicken joints, cheesy venues like The Grand and bookies co-existing with the likes of Waitrose and ‘trendy’ bars and eateries. There is no reason why it cannot be the same in CHL, LJH and elsewhere around here.

In the case of the row of shops opposite Barrier Block the middle ground is being lost. Everytime a shopkeeper goes its get a further encroachment of Nu Brixton coming up to my bit of CHL.

To add imo the middle ground was Brixton being having a lot of eateries etc and my bit of CHL being left alone.

I could live with that.

But with less places available for new eateries / cocktail bars in central Brixton its started moving up CHL.

Last edited:
Now George has gone and the other Greek Cypriot barber has gone from Loughborough road I've been using Barber of Seville.

Actually as regular now they appear to charge me around £10. But I have number two straightforward cut.

I can understand if they put up prices. Even long standing business may have to change prices to cope with rent increases. Its shit. I don't blame the business I blame landlords.

Take the NR arches. They promise business will come back. If they do they will likely have to put up prices. Cater for new demographic. Which will mean old long standing customers won't be able to afford it when they come back.

Gentrification isn't just about pushing out long standing business its also about long standing business changing to survive.

Which means social cleansing in an other way.
The last lowish priced "traditional" one seems to be that one on Tulse Hill (Haircut Sir?)

Last time I went in there he whipped round with the electric clippers - no scissors - and I was out in about 10 minutes. Still cost the £9 + £1 "semi-compulsory" tip.
Still looked the same short back and sides type of thing.

I'm wondering if I should challenge the local black barber at 252 CHL. Maybe he can sculpt a short-back-and sides for £10 or less using deft clipper manipulation?

Traditional barbers are great for some kinds of haircut but not so much so if you want something a bit more elaborate, IME at least.

The Barber of Seville sat somewhere in between a hairdresser and a no-frills barber, which suited my needs fine, and at £16 their prices also was a fair middle ground between the two.

But if i have to pay £25 for them now I might as well fork out an extra fiver for a hairdresser and get a hairwash,scalp massage, and a haircut the stylist will be happy to spend a bit more time on.

Anyone been to Paramount lately? Got some disappointed reviews on here when it opened, has that changed? Anywhere doing similar food in Brixton that's better?

Back
Top Bottom