Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Brixton food & drink news: new restaurants, bars, pop ups, cafes and more

Zoe’s Ghana Kitchen is leaving Pop. I don’t know why it’s closing but it will be a loss to the place in my view.

(I would have posted this in the Pop thread but I see I’ve childishly been banned from it)

I went to Saigon Bistro in Streatham again last night with hendo, han and bluenun. It really is terrific food, inexpensive, the staff are lovely and they donate 10% of tips to charity. I really recommend it.

We went tonight having wanted to go for ages (we so rarely get to go out but a generous guest offered to babysit for us) and it was amazing! We got there at 7ish and only just managed to get a table. People were queuing out the door. The food was to die for and really good value and the staff were lovely. The only up/downside was that there was lots I didn't try so we'll have to go back next year when she comes to stay again. :D

We went tonight having wanted to go for ages (we so rarely get to go out but a generous guest offered to babysit for us) and it was amazing! We got there at 7ish and only just managed to get a table. People were queuing out the door. The food was to die for and really good value and the staff were lovely. The only up/downside was that there was lots I didn't try so we'll have to go back next year when she comes to stay again. :D
It’s so good, isn’t it? I’ve been three times now which is pretty unusual as I like to try new places.

Bit of a shame about Zoe's and Donestia but looks like they're heading off to bigger things. Loss to Brixton though.

Also, Dirty Burger/Chicken Shop shut a month or so ago - but then it was looking a bit quiet before Christmas. Nothing obvious going on at site although kinda hard to tell from outside

Not that impressed with Tiger & Pig tbh. Yes nice staff, reasonable options esp for vegans/vegetarians, but food massively over sugared - nearly everything drowned in too much chilli'd barbecue sauce or even mayo and really, really, really sweet. More food than I could eat for just over a tenner. NB they don't take cash ( premises "too small for a till?" :confused:) which is a new one on me.

Am looking for some suggestions...

A few old friends and their kids are coming to visit soon and we want to go out to eat. I'm not sure where to go as there'll be loads of us. Anyone got any good ideas?

There'll be 14 adults and 14 kids (mostly under 5). We're looking at a Saturday afternoon.

Ideally round Brixton or Herne Hill but can travel a bit.

Am looking for some suggestions...

A few old friends and their kids are coming to visit soon and we want to go out to eat. I'm not sure where to go as there'll be loads of us. Anyone got any good ideas?

There'll be 14 adults and 14 kids (mostly under 5). We're looking at a Saturday afternoon.

Ideally round Brixton or Herne Hill but can travel a bit.

That’s tough at this time of year with so many youngsters as they are going to get bored and want to play. For that reason I’m going to suggest the Florence pub in Herne Hill (Dulwich Rd) as it’s got a playroom out the back. If the weather’s OK you could combine with trip to the park.

That’s tough at this time of year with so many youngsters as they are going to get bored and want to play. For that reason I’m going to suggest the Florence pub in Herne Hill (Dulwich Rd) as it’s got a playroom out the back. If the weather’s OK you could combine with trip to the park.
That would have been great but the playroom's gone.
Still might be ok if I can book a big enough table as the park is a good idea

That would have been great but the playroom's gone.
Still might be ok if I can book a big enough table as the park is a good idea

Florence is a really good idea. We had friends visiting last year from NZ who had kids, loads of their old friends who had kids dropped in throughout the day. Florence did kids meals and didn’t seem to mind the noise and mess.

Just been in Market Row getting my fish, bread and veg (Jeffrey’s, Wild Caper and Nour FWIW).

Seven and Wild Caper are both rammed with 20-somethings having brunch. Fair dos - I used to have brunch when I was 20-something and didn’t have kids.

Here’s the thing though - *every single group* (perhaps 15-20 tables) were women only - I didn’t see any men at all. Do young people not brunch in mixed groups? Where have all the blokes gone?

Ladies wot lunch innit.

Missus Smangus took me for a gin soaked cream tea once. I was the only bloke in there apart from a waiter. It was packed to the gills, a cream tea with 3 gin cocktails thrown in , great it was . :thumbs:

Sshh Burger on Coldharbour Lane now shut and being converted/knocked through in to a spill over for Nanban next door.

Kricket are returning to Brixton, taking over the Brindisa site. Assume both arches.
Is that confirmed now? The lady from Brindisa told me it was probable a few weeks ago but I was sworn to secrecy. :D I ate once at Kricket and it was bloody brilliant so looking forward to seeing them back.

Back
Top Bottom