Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Brixton food & drink news: new restaurants, bars, pop ups, cafes and more

Due to Khans apparently mucking up a booking, i ended up in "three little birds" for a birthday meal the other night. Its beside the 414.

Had a goat curry which cost £10, it was tasty, a bit on the small side, but nothing spectacular. Drinks were ludicrously priced, no draught beer and a small bottle of Red Stripe coming in at £5.50, so i stayed on the tap water.

I enjoyed the evening due to the company but i wouldnt rush back.
It's a rip off

Terrible take away last night and complained by email with no response as yet. Tinned mushrooms on pizza WTAF?!
Never had tinned mushrooms from there - despite eating there for a while and seem to recall watching them put fresh ones on.

They're also probably not open yet - hence their lack of reply. What did you order? The only two pizzas that have mushrooms on - one doesn't have a tomato sauce (re. your now deleted comment).

Pah, acre lane souvlaki is almost as expensive as one in soho and more than the one in elephant and castle

Rip off Brixton

Just tried this for the first time for lunch.

Very good pork souvlaki plate - lots of well-cooked meat, tstaki, salad, oregano fries and flat bread. But yes, expensive - £9.75 for takeaway (if you have it in a wrap it's about £6.50 I think).

It never seems to be very busy and at those prices I can see why.

Very good pork souvlaki plate - lots of well-cooked meat, tstaki, salad, oregano fries and flat bread. But yes, expensive - £9.75 for takeaway (if you have it in a wrap it's about £6.50 I think).

See I'm in Greece at the moment where on average a pork wrap is 2 euros and if I'm really hungry I'll eat 3 and it's still a cheap meal

when i look over at that place as i fill my belly in Sams Cafe for just over £5, i do wonder what 'Souvlaki' is like, and whether i will get such a substantial and pleasing meal for a similar cost. i guess not.

Negril are finally doing deliveries again. Ordered at 9.30 last night arrived in 20 minutes, all correct and still hot. When they last used to deliver it would take at least an hour to arrive.

Negril is the best Caribbean restaurant/takeaway in the Brixton Hill/Streatham Hill area hands down, I have been going there for years and the standard has remained high.

I am glad they are doing the takeaway service again and that they delivered in good time, they took the p*ss before with their delivery service, it was always hit and miss and always late!

Tried to go to Canova Hall for an early lunch. Got there 12.10pm and it was full! Decamped to 500 Degrees which was empty. Good lunch deal there - tenner for pizza and drink.

Now in CH having a drink. V. Good GnT but central London prices (£11). Great room. Full of large groups of 20-somethings. There’s nothing more irritating than the younger and more attractive having fun.

Negril is the best Caribbean restaurant/takeaway in the Brixton Hill/Streatham Hill area hands down, I have been going there for years and the standard has remained high.

I am glad they are doing the takeaway service again and that they delivered in good time, they took the p*ss before with their delivery service, it was always hit and miss and always late!

The service in general was a bit hit and miss. I Once went in for dinner and the waitress ignored us for so long after seating us and bringing wine that we ended up phoning from the table for takeaway and leaving when it was ready.

when i look over at that place as i fill my belly in Sams Cafe for just over £5, i do wonder what 'Souvlaki' is like, and whether i will get such a substantial and pleasing meal for a similar cost. i guess not.
Price wise of course you won't- pleasure wise, if it is done right, souvlaki is the food of the gods

Tried to go to Canova Hall for an early lunch. Got there 12.10pm and it was full! Decamped to 500 Degrees which was empty. Good lunch deal there - tenner for pizza and drink.

Now in CH having a drink. V. Good GnT but central London prices (£11). Great room. Full of large groups of 20-somethings. There’s nothing more irritating than the younger and more attractive having fun.

I've been for brunch. Looks good, although unoriginal. Food OK. Service was totally disorganised.

Took my Mum to Canova Hall for early dinner on Sunday, it was busy but we got a (very small) table. Green Goddess veggie pizza arrived quickly & was big, tasty, £10. Mum asked for a glass of pinot noir, waiter came back to say they had run out, we asked for house red, she came back to say they'd run out of that too, "we've just got this one I don't know how to pronounce" which was an organic Montepulciano. It's a bit corporate and I wouldn't rush back.

Took my Mum to Canova Hall for early dinner on Sunday, it was busy but we got a (very small) table. Green Goddess veggie pizza arrived quickly & was big, tasty, £10. Mum asked for a glass of pinot noir, waiter came back to say they had run out, we asked for house red, she came back to say they'd run out of that too, "we've just got this one I don't know how to pronounce" which was an organic Montepulciano. It's a bit corporate and I wouldn't rush back.
I went for brunch. Lovely setting although, having booked in advance, they tried to squeeze three adults and a baby in a pram onto a tiny cafe table in a corner when there were larger tables available (which is where we eventually sat).

Friendly but fairly hopeless service. One of our waitresses was wearing utterly grubby jeans - looked like she'd been gardening before coming into work!

I think our first coffees took half an hour and when my flat white arrived it was basically a huge mug of milk. I really don't understand how a venue like this can get coffee so wrong. My brunch meatball dish was lovely when it eventually arrived. The others had pancakes which looked a bit small and disappointing. We were offered free coffees as an apology for the delays (cortado was much better). Lively but relaxed atmosphere and comfortable. Hopefully just teething problems. I'll try it again. It'll be a nice addition to Brixton once they get it sorted.

Having looked at their menu, im not madly impressed. Anything over £10 for a pizza, and even then at that price it would need to be a very good one, is a piss take IMO.

Terrible take away last night and complained by email with no response as yet. Tinned mushrooms on pizza WTAF?!

I also thought 500 degrees was utter crap.

Pay cheap, get cheap. £10+ for a pizza isn't outrageous these days and that includes Italy from where I've just returned.

Also, the new sushi place in Pop is superb. Lovely lady who runs it. Everything made fresh in front of you. 6 x salmon roll pieces, 2 x salmon nigiri 1 x seabass nigiri and a load of edamame was £7. Great value (or at least I think it is).

ooh - what's it called?

I've been for brunch. Looks good, although unoriginal. Food OK. Service was totally disorganised.

I posted an online review of Canova Hall, complaining about the service, and they have responded with an apology. They clearly weren't ready and I'll wait for other reports before rushing back.

Back
Top Bottom