Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Brixton food & drink news: new restaurants, bars, pop ups, cafes and more

I nearly didn't go because as you say, they do so many different cuisines, but my eldest went with her mates and then raved about it.

Doesn't cost much more than a Chinese delivery either, which makes a nice change, great value for money.

Yes I was pleased with the price too. The bento box is huge - more than enough food for a whole meal. You are tempting me into a mid-week family meal out. :D Plus no kitchen at the moment due to building works.

Yes I was pleased with the price too. The bento box is huge - more than enough food for a whole meal. You are tempting me into a mid-week family meal out. :D Plus no kitchen at the moment due to building works.
Ha, go for it :D.
And thanks for the heads up about my little one's prize for good behaviour last week too :thumbs:

Loved Kaosarn, thanks. Wish I'd known it was BYOB, but the lemongrass tea was nice anyway. Moo Ping was a bit rubbery, but the Khao Pad Kra-Praw Chicken was lovely :thumbs:

The "tiny Thai place" is Yum-D, which I much prefer to Kaosarn.
I had a look at that on my way back, looked alright.

Also spotted on Coldharbour Lane on my way home the new Lebanese place Ya Hala, by the Prince Of Wales. Looks great, and turns out to be the place a mate has been ranting about for the last four months.

I had a look at that on my way back, looked alright.

Also spotted on Coldharbour Lane on my way home the new Lebanese place Ya Hala, by the Prince Of Wales. Looks great, and turns out to be the place a mate has been ranting about for the last four months.

Ranting or raving?

Ya-Hala looked to be a decent addition to the area when it first opened, the only thing i ever had was a takeaway kebab sandwich thing, which was average (stingy on the meat).

didnt entice me to return

Ya-Hala looked to be a decent addition to the area when it first opened, the only thing i ever had was a takeaway kebab sandwich thing, which was average (stingy on the meat).

I was severely dehydrated after eating there the last 2 times so I'm going to have to give it a miss now. Which is a shame as it's cheap.

Negril are finally doing deliveries again. Ordered at 9.30 last night arrived in 20 minutes, all correct and still hot. When they last used to deliver it would take at least an hour to arrive.

It used to be called Curry Ono and is now called Kamome and is by far the most authentic of the lot. I always go there.

(however will also go to Slurp in Streatham which does a surprisingly good bento given they do so many different cuisines).
I think shakespearegirl is talking about the Thai place next door. The name escapes me (Yum D?) but it's good.

Went here today for first time. It's fine - nothing special. Reminded me of Tas.

ION Nanban are opening an express/takeaway hatch on Electric Lane.

Went here today for first time. It's fine - nothing special. Reminded me of Tas.

ION Nanban are opening an express/takeaway hatch on Electric Lane.
I think being relatively affordable made it special, to me at least. Shame I don't like it more.

Curious to know if anyone has tried Yokan the newish Japanese bar/eaterie next to the Shrub and Shutter.

They've taken to hanging a gaudy fish made of cloth outside - could poke your eye out on a windy day. They seem to have (presumably Japanese branded) keg ale but no idea of the prices of either food or drink.

There is also a Japanese restaurant in Market Row - Curry Ono though this seems empty a lot of the time, which might not be a good sign. It does however look 100% more spotless and welcoming than the Okan at 338 Coldharbour Lane as far as I am concerned.

Wish I could give a review.

Would you food-loving folks be interested in posting up your top 3 Brixton restaurants with a sentence explaining why? Might be a nice feature I could stick on Buzz (and link back here)...

Curious to know if anyone has tried Yokan the newish Japanese bar/eaterie next to the Shrub and Shutter.

They've taken to hanging a gaudy fish made of cloth outside - could poke your eye out on a windy day. They seem to have (presumably Japanese branded) keg ale but no idea of the prices of either food or drink.

There is also a Japanese restaurant in Market Row - Curry Ono though this seems empty a lot of the time, which might not be a good sign. It does however look 100% more spotless and welcoming than the Okan at 338 Coldharbour Lane as far as I am concerned.

Wish I could give a review.

Curry Ono is great, best japanese curry i've had in London

Okan on coldharbour is a sister restaurant to OKAN in the market. The market restaurant focuses on okonomiyaki, a japanese style cabbage based pancake. The coldharbour restaurant is more noodle focused (soba and ramen). Both venues are brilliant, however the okonomiyaki is better value in my opinion.

They've taken to hanging a gaudy fish made of cloth outside - could poke your eye out on a windy day.

Do you mean one of these?

97540271d8f88ab6aa635098f3c91888--child-day-crafty-kids.jpg

If so it's a koinobori (which is a kind of wind sock - so interesting that you mention wind above) - they are traditionally flown over houses on Children's on May 5th. They look stunning.

I have hung a very large one along the ceiling of my children's bedroom.

Reactions: CH1
Curry Ono is great, best japanese curry i've had in London

Okan on coldharbour is a sister restaurant to OKAN in the market. The market restaurant focuses on okonomiyaki, a japanese style cabbage based pancake. The coldharbour restaurant is more noodle focused (soba and ramen). Both venues are brilliant, however the okonomiyaki is better value in my opinion.

Shame it's so expensive - I would love a place that did a decent ramen for 6-7 quid in my neighborhood

Do you mean one of these?

97540271d8f88ab6aa635098f3c91888--child-day-crafty-kids.jpg

If so it's a koinobori (which is a kind of wind sock - so interesting that you mention wind above) - they are traditionally flown over houses on Children's on May 5th. They look stunning.

I have hung a very large one along the ceiling of my children's bedroom.
Its a blue one of those.

Back
Top Bottom