Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Brixton food & drink news: new restaurants, bars, pop ups, cafes and more

It's "Rosa's Thai Cafe", a chain of Thai food places - nothing to do with Rosie's. Went past this evening and it was packed out.
cheers, I realised at time of posting I had got the wrong name but cba* to correct...soz

*couldnt be arsed

Last edited:
'Cash to burn' or 'some disposable income one has the free will to choose what to do with'?
From the perspective of some people living in one of London's most deprived wards, I'd guess they'd see it as them having money to burn if they're dining out all the time, and some of those new restaurants are very expensive indeed.

From the perspective of some people living in one of London's most deprived wards, I'd guess they'd see it as them having money to burn if they're dining out all the time, and some of those new restaurants are very expensive indeed.
There's an assumption in there that they're 'dining out all the time' - which isn't really the case. Combine that with the fact that it is people with 'some disposable income' (with younger people also having fewer financial commitments), not 'money to burn' and you are painting quite a distorted picture, which isn't helpful.

The issue around low income and deprivation is a big one, yes, and there is a huge divide in this country and particularly this city. But to constantly be harping on about the way some people choose to occasionally spend their disposable income as having cash to burn is just a waste of breath.

I am sure you spend money on stuff I wouldn't waste my time on. I would never dream of telling you what you should and shouldn't spend it on.

I am sure you spend money on stuff I wouldn't waste my time on. I would never dream of telling you what you should and shouldn't spend it on.
Where have I been telling anyone, anywhere, what they should and shouldn't spend their money on? Why are you making up such silly stuff? :confused::confused::confused:

Where have I been telling anyone, anywhere, what they should and shouldn't spend their money on? Why are you making up such silly stuff? :confused::confused::confused:
Come on, don't be disingenuous. We are discussing choice, the choice to spend what disposable income you have in the way that you want. You seem critical of those with cash to burn. Hence my comment, it shouldn't be that hard to follow the logic so stop trying to derail what is a perfectly reasonable line of discussion.

Come on, don't be disingenuous. We are discussing choice, the choice to spend what disposable income you have in the way that you want. You seem critical of those with cash to burn. Hence my comment, it shouldn't be that hard to follow the logic so stop trying to derail what is a perfectly reasonable line of discussion.
Er, here's what I actually said: "Brixton is full of bored/curious foodies with cash to burn for the latest thing."

I haven't got the time or inclination to deal with the many meanings you seem keen to project on to this simple statement, but a stroll around town most evenings will confirm its accuracy.

Er, here's what I actually said: "Brixton is full of bored/curious foodies with cash to burn for the latest thing."

I haven't got the time or inclination to deal with the many meanings you seem keen to project on to this simple statement, but a stroll around town most evenings will confirm its accuracy.
Yes, and I corrected your distortion. So job done.

Due to Khans apparently mucking up a booking, i ended up in "three little birds" for a birthday meal the other night. Its beside the 414.

Had a goat curry which cost £10, it was tasty, a bit on the small side, but nothing spectacular. Drinks were ludicrously priced, no draught beer and a small bottle of Red Stripe coming in at £5.50, so i stayed on the tap water.

I enjoyed the evening due to the company but i wouldnt rush back.

I love the food there but I agree it's priced on the steep side given the size of the portions.

Really cool about the charity too. I like that it isn't even mentioned on their website unless I'm mistaken. Low key, as charity work and donations should be. Would like to see more of that.

Satay Bar also donate to the same charity who have worked alongside Mosaic for a while now as well.

To clarify, Satay Bar and Nanban had an ongoing issue with no shows - guests who failed to arrive for their booking. Therefore they now charge for anyone not notifying them they can't make their booking - this can be easily done by clicking a 'cancel booking' link or ringing them up. Customers can cancel up to 1 minute before their booking time, so they keep the policy very flexible. However if they fail to show, Satay and Nanban both impose a no-show fee. This fee is £10 (for the booking). This goes directly to Mosaic clubhouse - no profit is made by the businesses. In addition, larger group bookings are requested to pay a £1 deposit to secure their table. The customer has the option of donating that £1 to charity or have it refunded. If these larger bookings fail to notify the restaurants they can't make it, the venues will charge a £25 no show fee, this again gets passed on to Mosaic. Both venues will match any donations made.

It's a great way to minimise no-shows allowing other guests who are waiting for a table a better opportunity to be seated. It allows the businesses to operate more productively and profitably and it raises much needed funds for Mosaic - a win/win.

If any other restaurants are interested in this scheme they can PM me, as I implemented it.

Supporting a local charity is a fine act - good on them. I just can't help coming over all cynical when you hear of the same donations being mentioned over and over in the press. That way, giving money away to charity can be money very well spent. They should bring in a law that if you donate cash you can mention it once and then each time you mention it you have to donate the same amount again! :D

Nanban nor Satay Bar mention the charities on their web sites AFAIK. The press element, which has been mentioned so far once - by their friends Brixton Bugle (note I am not adverse to raising awarenesses or charities per se regardless of methods), was because this new approach in which they are raising money is unique and therefore in Brixton Bugle's opinion, press worthy.

The Food Court has now been totally swept away

brixton-food-court-flattened-03.jpg

In photos: What happened to the popular Brixton Food Court in Atlantic Road

Due to Khans apparently mucking up a booking, i ended up in "three little birds" for a birthday meal the other night. Its beside the 414.

Had a goat curry which cost £10, it was tasty, a bit on the small side, but nothing spectacular. Drinks were ludicrously priced, no draught beer and a small bottle of Red Stripe coming in at £5.50, so i stayed on the tap water.

I enjoyed the evening due to the company but i wouldnt rush back.

£5.50 for a small Red Stripe is insane. They're probably making the best part of a fiver profit from that alone. Taking the piss.

£5.50 for a small Red Stripe is insane. They're probably making the best part of a fiver profit from that alone. Taking the piss.
I just can't give my money to those sorts of places. Of course you can expect a mark up, but the place isn't that fucking special in the first place. Total fucking rip off.

It's the same with the 1/3rd of a pint nonsense for poncy overpriced beers. It's a pint or nowt where I come from. (Preston) - halves are for shandy drinkers,

It's the same with the 1/3rd of a pint nonsense for poncy overpriced beers. It's a pint or nowt where I come from. (Preston) - halves are for shandy drinkers,
Surely 1/3 pint glasses were introduced about 10 years ago for Wetherspoons beers festivals?

They used to have special trays for 3 small glasses and beer glass doilies to write the numbers on - and they would give you a note-pad to record your comments on each numbered beer in the festival. It was all like a "High Church" version of "spit and sawdust" if you like.

Like many of Tim Martin's promotions it was a half-baked idea. Maybe he sold the glasses off to more trendy joints? I certainly haven't any CAMRA types marking the ales in the Beehive lately.

Noticed this morning that Adam's bakery on Brixton Hill is now advertising itself as an Ethiopian restaurant.
Was it a bakery? Thought it was just a ropey looking sandwich shop. Only tried Ethiopian once and really didn't like it but I'm half thinking of giving them a try as they're near enough on my doorstep and I like to give places a chance. Anyone eaten there yet?

Was it a bakery? Thought it was just a ropey looking sandwich shop. Only tried Ethiopian once and really didn't like it but I'm half thinking of giving them a try as they're near enough on my doorstep and I like to give places a chance. Anyone eaten there yet?
Yes! The food is delicious - very good value - and lovely light enjeera. Highly recommended. Especially the spicy beef stew. Mmmmmmmmmmm

I've eaten with these guys before and can honestly say some of the best food I've ever eaten. The two young chefs are lovely, engaged and really love their food without being too business minded. So if you want to try fine dining that will blow your mind and not your budget then try them at their soft opening at Pop Brixton. Yeah and I know you can get pie and chips cheap at Honest Jon's or whatever am just passing on what I know and love. And no I am not connected with them in anyway except to have had the privilege to eat their food on three occasions.

Soft Launch - 13th-15th June 2017 | £22 menu, 25% off drinks
Smoke & Salt - modern dining | ancient techniques | pop brixton

I've eaten with these guys before and can honestly say some of the best food I've ever eaten. The two young chefs are lovely, engaged and really love their food without being too business minded. So if you want to try fine dining that will blow your mind and not your budget then try them at their soft opening at Pop Brixton. Yeah and I know you can get pie and chips cheap at Honest Jon's or whatever am just passing on what I know and love. And no I am not connected with them in anyway except to have had the privilege to eat their food on three occasions.

Soft Launch - 13th-15th June 2017 | £22 menu, 25% off drinks
Smoke & Salt - modern dining | ancient techniques | pop brixton
Do you know if they have any actual connection with Brixton (seeing as they've set up shop in Pop)?

Do you know if they have any actual connection with Brixton (seeing as they've set up shop in Pop)?

Not that I know of. They are a business paying rent to a landlord in the old Kricket container- they are by no means rich , in no way hooray henries or some such like that I would instinctually hate. And I like them . Sorry about that. I hesitated to post about them here as I feared it would end in the usual organic , fair-trade , pesto flavoured bun fight. And I understand why.

Back
Top Bottom