Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Brixton food & drink news: new restaurants, bars, pop ups, cafes and more

1000050271.jpg

Great to see Hootananny so packed for live music.

The Albert was reasonably busy for a change but the sound of overloaded reggae with no bass was too much for me!

The Effra was quite lively too.

There was a feature on BBC News London this evening showing an empty Albert and a representative of Hootananny saying folk are spending much less at the bar these days when they are out. And then some sort of restaurant in or beside Brixton Village who managed to have the funds to hire burlesque dancers whilst people ate and sipped cocktails, but he didn't seem too pleased that his profits were down either. There were calls for a tax break to help out hospitality businesses while the chips are down which I would agree with.

There was a feature on BBC News London this evening showing an empty Albert and a representative of Hootananny saying folk are spending much less at the bar these days when they are out. And then some sort of restaurant in or beside Brixton Village who managed to have the funds to hire burlesque dancers whilst people ate and sipped cocktails, but he didn't seem too pleased that his profits were down either. There were calls for a tax break to help out hospitality businesses while the chips are down which I would agree with.
There's an article here: London nightclubs closing at alarming rate - association

London's night-time economy businesses are "experiencing closures and revenue losses at an alarming rate", according to the Night Time Industries Association (NTIA).

Data shows that between March 2020 and December 2023, a total of 3,011 night economy businesses closed in London and its surrounding boroughs - the steepest fall for any English region.

In London specifically, 1,165 businesses were lost in the same time period.

I love going out but it’s just incredibly hard to justify the cost currently. I was always lucky enough to never have to really think about it, but even going for a couple of pints feels like an unnecessary indulgence these days.

And maybe I’m unlucky but when I have been to busy places recently its been a nightmare getting served which leads to me having less drinks. Staffing issues/cuts I assume but some of the bar queues have been ridiculous. No fun spending half your night in a scrum.

Back in the mid 1990s there used to be a largely outdoor huge bar/restaurant called Mr Rees on otherwise derelict land on the airport road in Accra, Ghana which had fire eaters and acrobats whilst you ate your chicken jolloff rice and sipped your Club Beer.
A fine meanwhile use probably now replaced by an office block. Nevertheless I can recommend fire eaters and acrobats as non-contentious entertainment for the punters! It's been done on Windrush Square in the early days by the way - around 2000. Can't recall the event though.

Thing is a lot of people cannot afford to drink or eat out much now. Talking at work about this last Friday. One said they used to go out for Sunday restaurant/ pub lunch at least once a month. Now hardly ever.

Especailly if one has kids as well. Its just to expensive.

Everything has gone up and people are struggling. That's the main problem.

Eating out is a luxury that goes first ahead of others.

Last?!?!?!? Nooooo! Why?
I really don't know as my nights are always busy.

The fact that I only found out via the pub poster has fucked me off too. I've done that place so many favours over the years (including loaning my bass bin for free until their shit DJs blew it up, with no compensation offered).

I used to play there every other week and get a great crowd, but after the new manager arrived, I've only played three times this year, while she keeps booking random DJs who often play to a depressingly empty dancefloor. I guess she wants to reshape the pub into her kind of place.

Under her reign, the popular karaoke nights went from weekly to monthly and it's really hard to build a crowd that way, so I think I'll pull that now, even though I invested in mics/mixer etc.

Happily, I've got a load of work lined up in a bigger venue with a decent sound system, but I'll miss the Albert because it's been my local for 30 years :(

Looks like the mission to turn the Albert into anypub, anytown is working well, with more regulars abandoning ship every week

Brixton's Rum Kitchen has now closed, along with all their London outlets.

Things are getting tough along Coldharbour Lane, with Ton of Brix and Dogstar struggling, the first floor of the Prince of Wales now sold off and the Albert having its own self-inflicted problems,

Brixton's Rum Kitchen has now closed, along with all their London outlets.

Things are getting tough along Coldharbour Lane, with Ton of Brix and Dogstar struggling, the first floor of the Prince of Wales now sold off and the Albert having its own self-inflicted problems,
The nightclub part of POW has been sold? Any idea to become what?

A bit more about how Coldharbour Lane is struggling.

In case anyone's interested, I've now cancelled all future DJ, live music and karaoke nights at the Albert.

Last edited:
A bit more about how Coldharbour Lane is struggling.

In case anyone's interested, I've now cancelled all future DJ, live music and karaoke nights at the Albert.
Do you think Greene King have schizophrenia? They are allegedly splashing out on a brand new brewery in Bury St Edmunds - yet they don't seem too good at running their London estate.
Maybe this is a Youngs of Wandsworth type transaction - their exisiting brewery is surrounded by heritage sites and could be worth a bomb if developed.
Of course we don't hear too much of Youngs these days.

Greene King own the Florence in HH and the Alexandra in Clapham Common which seem to be fine so it's probably just the Albert that's not being well run. Or not adapting to the local area/clientele. Also interesting that Heineken's pub division is investing in pubs again after all the closures that we have seen nationally.

Lots of shameless corporate publicity rolling out over the last week for Freight Brixton which is variously described as "London's Largest Rooftop Venue" or more modestly as "South London's Largest Rooftop" reportedly opening in June 2024 (*subject to licence in very small print!).

Licensing application has an address of 24a Popes Road - which seems to suggest it is the roof of what is now Sports Direct/USC, was briefly Flannels, was KwikSave for many years, and which veteran Brixtonians will recall as the "old" Tescos.

Reference24/00062/PRMNEW
TypeNew
CategoryPremises Licence (new application)
StatusPending Decision
ApplicantField Vision Bars Limited
Trading NameFreight Brixton - Rooftop
Address24A Pope's Road London SW9 8JH

There is a mention on their website of Freight Island, the Manchester venue in a railway warehouse.
Branding looks completely different from the sometime Freight Line bar at Pop Brixton?

1715158531378.png

1715159641866.png

Last edited:
Lots of shameless corporate publicity rolling out over the last week for Freight Brixton which is variously described as "London's Largest Rooftop Venue" or more modestly as "South London's Largest Rooftop" reportedly opening in June 2024 (*subject to licence in very small print!).

Licensing application has an address of 24a Popes Road - which seems to suggest it is the roof of what is now Sports Direct/USC, was briefly Flannels, and which veteran Brixtonians will recall as the "old" Tescos.

Reference24/00062/PRMNEW
TypeNew
CategoryPremises Licence (new application)
StatusPending Decision
ApplicantField Vision Bars Limited
Trading NameFreight Brixton - Rooftop
Address24A Pope's Road London SW9 8JH

There is a mention on their website of Freight Island, the Manchester venue in a railway warehouse.
Branding looks completely different from the sometime Freight Line bar at Pop Brixton?

View attachment 423600

View attachment 423601
More here: Freight Brixton: ‘London’s largest open air rooftop venue’ set to open in Brixton in June 2024

Brewdog's boss has relinquished the role of Chief Exec and is now merely co-founder, according to City AM.
The paper quotes TUC general secretary Paul Novak "This should be cautionary tale to bad bosses. If you slash workers’ pay and conditions you will be called out in public and your business will suffer.
Brewdog’s success has been built on the back of its workforce. They deserve to be valued properly. My message to the new CEO is simple – pay your staff the real Living Wage.”

PS I'm aware they've been closed for a while in Brixton, also at Clapham Junction.

Back
Top Bottom