Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Brixton food & drink news: new restaurants, bars, pop ups, cafes and more

I was at the Lexington for a gig a couple of weeks ago. Gig upstairs, huge late bar downstairs with DJ but very much a pub vibe. Lights on. Very busy but not rammed. Don't feel that we have anything like that in Brixton.
There's nowhere left in central Brixton to watch original indie/alternative/rock/leftfield bands.

The Blues Kitchen is all cover bands, the Prince of Wales seems to have stopped live shows, the Effra Hall is splendid but is mainly about jazz-based stuff, and on the rare occasion there's live music at the Albert, it's usually bland covers only.

A bit further afield Hoots and the Windmill are still doing a great job. I miss putting on shows but I am slowly working on A Plan!

Last edited:
Lots of shameless corporate publicity rolling out over the last week for Freight Brixton which is variously described as "London's Largest Rooftop Venue" or more modestly as "South London's Largest Rooftop" reportedly opening in June 2024 (*subject to licence in very small print!).
Licensing application has an address of 24a Popes Road - which seems to suggest it is the roof of what is now Sports Direct/USC, was briefly Flannels, was KwikSave for many years, and which veteran Brixtonians will recall as the "old" Tescos.

Reference24/00062/PRMNEW
TypeNew
CategoryPremises Licence (new application)
StatusPending Decision
ApplicantField Vision Bars Limited
Trading NameFreight Brixton - Rooftop
Address24A Pope's Road London SW9 8JH

There is a mention on their website of Freight Island, the Manchester venue in a railway warehouse.
Branding looks completely different from the sometime Freight Line bar at Pop Brixton?

View attachment 423600

View attachment 423601
A propos the new roof-top venue in Popes Road - we have been down this road before.
I mentioned elsewhere on Urban (possibly up thread) a visit to Brixton Beach by "This Week" on BBC One - ie the programme that went out after "Question Time" with Andrew Neil, M Portillo and (by that time) Liz Kendall.
Can't find a clip from that programme but here are Trip Adviser photos of the venue taken between 2017 and 2020.
From what I can remember the filming on TV was just in the cabin
brixton beach cabin.jpg
Brixton Beach entrance.jpg
brixton beach canvas.jpg
brixton beach sand.jpg

Opens July 5th (soft launch for Rishi's leaving do?)
Everyone planning to be at the Lambeth election counts is hoping we will escape in the small hours of Friday morning, but given that Lambeth counts seem to get slower every time and they have to count four constituencies this year, there could be a lot of buzzed politicos who have survived 36 hours on Red Bull emerging on Friday lunchtime ready to drink and party!

Supercute has taken over the Friendship Adventure premises in Loughborough Junction and Brixton Village.

supercute-beer-04.jpg

supercute-beer-05.jpg

Supercute has taken over the Friendship Adventure premises in Loughborough Junction and Brixton Village.

supercute-beer-04.jpg

supercute-beer-05.jpg

Who is behind Supercute? The company was called Loretta's Kitchen until 2015. The balance sheet at Companies House shows less assets in Supercute (LDN) than Friendship Adventure OWES!

It's the Courtesan guys.
I don't follow these things very closely - but I was wondering if the genesis of the Courtesan was in that old favourite of the 2000s Brixton Bar and Grill?
That was the place that replaced Taco Joe's in the arches opposite Brady's. It was a late night place where people ended up after everywhere else closed.
People I used to get tanked up with would go from the Beehive (closed 11 pm) to the Goose/Rest is Noise (closed midnight) then on to Brixton Bar and Grill - which never seemed to close at all

I don't follow these things very closely - but I was wondering if the genesis of the Courtesan was in that old favourite of the 2000s Brixton Bar and Grill?
That was the place that replaced Taco Joe's in the arches opposite Brady's. It was a late night place where people ended up after everywhere else closed.
People I used to get tanked up with would go from the Beehive (closed 11 pm) to the Goose/Rest is Noise (closed midnight) then on to Brixton Bar and Grill - which never seemed to close at all
thanks for this, never went, loved the reviews.

• Love
Reactions: CH1
I was really nervous about this show seeing as I had to do all the promotion (the Dogstar had failed to do just about anything) but it went really well.

dogstar-launch-2024-01.jpg

dogstar-launch-2024-03.jpg

Next one is on the 29th June - free entry.

Watched the England game at Hootananny yesterday evening. £6.20 a pint of Red Stripe now which was disappointing, I suspect they hiked the prices to maximise the profit for the match. Quite thorough searches upon entry too, looking through wallets, cigarette packets etc and a full pat down. There was good craic inside though, not quite as wild as the England Colombia match a few years back but jubilant scenes when Alexander-Arnold thumped home the final penalty.

Watched the England game at Hootananny yesterday evening. £6.20 a pint of Red Stripe now which was disappointing, I suspect they hiked the prices to maximise the profit for the match. Quite thorough searches upon entry too, looking through wallets, cigarette packets etc and a full pat down. There was good craic inside though, not quite as wild as the England Colombia match a few years back but jubilant scenes when Alexander-Arnold thumped home the final penalty.
It's a great outdoor space and AFAIK it's the only 'garden' that stays open till 3am on weekends in central Brixton (maybe JAMM has the same?)

It's a great outdoor space and AFAIK it's the only 'garden' that stays open till 3am on weekends in central Brixton (maybe JAMM has the same?)
Not been to JAMM in a long time now, but yeah their garden used to be well and truly open until they closed, as late as 5am at times.

A young colleague at work today said that a mate of his had booked them to go to the Duke of Edinburgh last night for the England game, but they received instruction prior that there would be no commentary and that they were not allowed to make noise during the match, which i thought quite depressing. I hope the moaning neighbour was pleased with himself last night.

Not been to JAMM in a long time now, but yeah their garden used to be well and truly open until they closed, as late as 5am at times.

A young colleague at work today said that a mate of his had booked them to go to the Duke of Edinburgh last night for the England game, but they received instruction prior that there would be no commentary and that they were not allowed to make noise during the match, which i thought quite depressing. I hope the moaning neighbour was pleased with himself last night.
What? That's insane. How do you not make noise when your team makes it into the final? Could you send me a copy of the email as I'd like to warn people on Buzz.

I've long given up on the Duke after neighbours squeezed all the fun out of the garden and then the pub crammed in rows and rows of benches.

Considering I just read a jokey article in the ES protesting about posh restaurants showing the football - which does seem stupid to me - the idea of pubs not showing the football with sound seems even more ridiculous.

What? That's insane. How do you not make noise when your team makes it into the final? Could you send me a copy of the email as I'd like to warn people on Buzz.

I've long given up on the Duke after neighbours squeezed all the fun out of the garden and then the pub crammed in rows and rows of benches.
Have asked for a copy of the email, in the meantime if you check all the 1 star Google reviews for the pub you can see quite a few recent comments from people disgruntled at being chastised for making noise during matches.

Have asked for a copy of the email, in the meantime if you check all the 1 star Google reviews for the pub you can see quite a few recent comments from people disgruntled at being chastised for making noise during matches.
I've seen it confirmed on their web site. That's insane!

Antic has gone into administration. The Dogstar is staying open (for now) but is being run by the administration team until someone buys the place (I imagine there should be no shortage given its size and location).

Back
Top Bottom