I'm opening a shop, Pats.

Patsy:
Ooh, what are you going to sell?

Eddie:
Oh, just gorgeous things, you know.

Patsy:
Ooh, lovely.

Eddie:
Gorgeous, tasteful, little stylish little gorgeous things.

Patsy:
Expensive...

Eddie:
Obviously, yes. They'll be present-y Anoushka Hempel-y sorts of things everywhere.

Patsy:
Chocolates?

Eddie:
Garden implements, that sort of thing.
BF update: I went in at about 6 pm today, Friday, which you would expect to be a reasonably busy time. Certainly Electric Avenue market outside was bustling, There were two security guards, four members of staff, me and occasionally one other customer, plus the BF himself, who insisted on shaking my hand, which seems a really non-scalable retailing strategy.

I compared a couple of price points to Iceland. 🍌 BF: 40p each, Iceland 25p each. 🍎 BF: 60p each, Iceland: 40p each

The shelves are still sparsely stocked, and there’s nothing out of the ordinary available there; you can get everything cheaper and in more variety at shops nearby e.g. Marks & Spencer. I am no retail expert, but whoever dreamt up the concept for this place, seems to have never gone shopping in their lives.

I had a coffee at Black Farmer recently- the upstairs space was pleasant with a good view of the shop below. I saw quite a few potential customers enter - it was a Wednesday lunchtime- but almost all left the shop again without buying anything. Coffee was meh. I don't think I'll be back.

BF update: I went in at about 6 pm today, Friday, which you would expect to be a reasonably busy time. Certainly Electric Avenue market outside was bustling, There were two security guards, four members of staff, me and occasionally one other customer, plus the BF himself, who insisted on shaking my hand, which seems a really non-scalable retailing strategy.

I compared a couple of price points to Iceland. 🍌 BF: 40p each, Iceland 25p each. 🍎 BF: 60p each, Iceland: 40p each

The shelves are still sparsely stocked, and there’s nothing out of the ordinary available there; you can get everything cheaper and in more variety at shops nearby e.g. Marks & Spencer. I am no retail expert, but whoever dreamt up the concept for this place, seems to have never gone shopping in their lives.
I’m not sure being more expensive than Iceland is really the problem. In fact it’s kind of the point of shops like this. Whether it works in Brixton right now remains to be seen, not least as the guy seems like a bellend.

Popped in. Not impressed.

I'm a foodie wanker and capable of spending lots but the stock here is odd - kind of put together based on a list of what AI thinks foodie wankers want rather than being selected by an individual with real passion and knowledge. Compares badly with e.g. Moen's in Clapham Old Town or Macfarlanes on Abbeville Rd.

I too left without buying anything.

Popped in. Not impressed.

I'm a foodie wanker and capable of spending lots but the stock here is odd - kind of put together based on a list of what AI thinks foodie wankers want rather than being selected by an individual with real passion and knowledge. Compares badly with e.g. Moen's in Clapham Old Town or Macfarlanes on Abbeville Rd.

I too left without buying anything.
If your view is representative then the invisible hand of capitalism will do its job, and he'll be gone.

Isn’t the brand now in lots of posh shops I.e Waitrose? Might be he’s minted and this is just a vanity project for some PR

Not a recent thing, I got some BF sausages on yellow sticker in Morrison's around 3 or 4 years ago - they were nice enough but not particularly special.
I don't think a shop of their own is their main source of income for the meat products, if there's a cafe in there that's probably the point of it.

EDIT: just found the post I made about it on the Reduced to Clear Shelf thread, it wasn't quite as long ago as I thought, but it confirms their stuff has been in supermarkets for a while, I got them in Morrison's in May 2022

Went into the BF yesterday and it wasn't super busy.

We went to that Belgian beer place, which seemed busy. They're expanding into the french sandwich place next door.

Not a recent thing, I got some BF sausages on yellow sticker in Morrison's around 3 or 4 years ago - they were nice enough but not particularly special.
I don't think a shop of their own is their main source of income for the meat products, if there's a cafe in there that's probably the point of it.

EDIT: just found the post I made about it on the Reduced to Clear Shelf thread, it wasn't quite as long ago as I thought, but it confirms their stuff has been in supermarkets for a while, I got them in Morrison's in May 2022

Just been in there for the first time - had a look at those sausages and they aren't great quality either - lower % meat than any premium brand I've had before. Shop was largely empty too, although Monday lunchtime will never be peak time.

If it can stretch as far as Stockwell Road then O Cantinho de Portugal should be on there... Great food, friendly service, great atmosphere for football and family friendly. Prices have gone up a bit recently (but haven't they everywhere?) but you can still get a steak dinner and a Sagres from the bar menu for cheap eats.
So I popped into O Cantinho De Portugal today.

What a charming little place.

I loved eavesdropping on all the little exchanges of banter between the staff and the customers.

Regular stream of people just dropping in.
Felt like a real community.

In the corner near the toilets on granville arcade side
The Belgian beer place is called Brewgels (cunning Breugel reference?) and their coffee is GOOD. Best coffee I've had in Granville Arcade. £3.75 for a flat white. (I never liked Federation's coffee). They've been there 7 weeks and are optimistic about their future. Friendly people. I wish them well. V soon they will be serving from 9.30am 7 days a week. Sat lunchtime they are rammed, with a queue. I had a salmon and cream cheese bagel for about £8. It was very good. But it was probably my last. I am too poor to be in their target market.

The Belgian beer place is called Brewgels (cunning Breugel reference?) and their coffee is GOOD. Best coffee I've had in Granville Arcade. £3.75 for a flat white. (I never liked Federation's coffee). They've been there 7 weeks and are optimistic about their future. Friendly people. I wish them well. V soon they will be serving from 9.30am 7 days a week. Sat lunchtime they are rammed, with a queue. I had a salmon and cream cheese bagel for about £8. It was very good. But it was probably my last. I am too poor to be in their target market.

Interesting! Will have to tet their coffee

Back
Top Bottom