Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Brixton food & drink news: new restaurants, bars, pop ups, cafes and more

I went and had a look, didn't buy anything, had my hand shaken by Wilfred the BF. The space is amazing but the food prices look exorbitant. He has his own brand of crisps at well over £3 for a small tub. I don't think he'll be taking much of Nour's customer base.
I wasn't tempted by any of their own speciality meats which seemed eye-wateringly exorbitant - even compared to London Farmers Market prices in Brixton and Balham. Wondering whether the pricing is the same as the list prices in their online shop which (I discovered since joining their mailing list last month to snoop) regularly has discounts/vouchers

I bought a few posh chutneys and cracker biscuits as fillers for box of Christmas food to take up to my brother's family that were about same price as Waitrose.

However, I reckon the A board for "Cook" frozen meals is an indication of where they may end up heading after Christmas selling up-market ready meals in competition with M&S.IMG_20231214_152252_HDR.jpg

Last edited:
I had a quick look in Black Farmer. It's a nice space but the grocery prices are high (similar to Whole Foods). I suspect that they'll cater for the gift market rather than home consumption. Don't think many meat buyers will be lured from Demboy next door. Of course its purpose may be marketing for the brand rather than having to make a standalone profit.

I seem to remember I read about a new restaurant on Coldharbour Lane that I liked the look of. Can’t see anything in this thread so maybe I read it elsewhere. Does anyone know of a new place?

Ghost Whale on Saltoun Road or London Beer Lab on Nursery Road(behind SW9) have a good selection.
Went to Beer Lab for birthday beer, will try Ghost Whale this weekend for Christmas beer gifts. Although I like Beer Lab, not a patch on the much missed Sympathetic Ear.

Looks like that sandwich shop/cafe by ex Federation and the Japanese place has shut. It looks cleared out and empty at least

I wasn't tempted by any of their own speciality meats which seemed eye-wateringly exorbitant - even compared to London Farmers Market prices in Brixton and Balham. Wondering whether the pricing is the same as the list prices in their online shop which (I discovered since joining their mailing list last month to snoop) regularly has discounts/vouchers

I bought a few posh chutneys and cracker biscuits as fillers for box of Christmas food to take up to my brother's family that were about same price as Waitrose.

However, I reckon the A board for "Cook" frozen meals is an indication of where they may end up heading after Christmas selling up-market ready meals in competition with M&S.View attachment 404405
I took a look and was massively underwhelmed both by the relative scarcity of stock and the sky high prices.
Unbidden, the owner introduced himself to me declaring, "I am the man.

I'll be amazed if it survives in its current format and pricing model for more than a year.

I took a look and was massively underwhelmed both by the relative scarcity of stock and the sky high prices.

I'll be amazed if it survives in its current format and pricing model for more than a year.
i'd suspect it will be gone by the summer, shame but the prices are OTT.

Same here. The Black Farmer shop seems very sparsely provisioned, and there is no possibility of completing even a modest shop-for-dinner-ingredients mission there. It seems like a dilettante's idea of what a "lovely little shop" would be. The man himself was there yesterday (Sat pm) and posing for selfies, but there were few people in the shop. I am actually in the happy position of being able to afford over-priced treats, but there was little there to attract. I too expect that it will transition to being a coffee shop/cafe, with some BF meats as a side-gig, within a few months.

Last edited:
Same here. The Black Farmer shop seems very sparsely provisioned, and there is no possibility of completing even a modest shop-for-dinner-ingredients mission there. It seems like a dilettante's idea of what a "lovely little shop" would be. The man himself was there yesterday (Sat pm) and posing for selfies, but there were few people in the shop. I am actually in the happy position of being able to afford over-priced treats, but there was little there to attract. I too expect that it will transition to being a coffee shop/cafe, with some BF meats as a side-gig, within a few months.
I knew the Black Farmer shop reminded me of something:

Eddie:
I'm opening a shop, Pats.

Patsy:
Ooh, what are you going to sell?

Eddie:
Oh, just gorgeous things, you know.

Patsy:
Ooh, lovely.

Eddie:
Gorgeous, tasteful, little stylish little gorgeous things.

Patsy:
Expensive...

Eddie:
Obviously, yes. They'll be present-y Anoushka Hempel-y sorts of things everywhere.

Patsy:
Chocolates?

Eddie:
Garden implements, that sort of thing.

I forgot to post the last time you repeated the claim that Owen Luder designed 336 Brixton Road that Lambeth's planning records (page 328 of pdf) show that the original (1964) planning consent was granted to Messrs George, Davies and Webb of Jermyn Street. They seem to have been an unexciting commercial firm of architects. The only mention of them in Pevsner is a building they did at 55-57 High Holborn in the 1950s which is sober curtain walling in a stone frame. It is not impossible that they passed the job on to Luder, as the only other reference I can find to the firm is a merger in 1966 to create an architecture and engineering consultancy working in the boomtown of Abu Dhabi.

Messrs View attachment 400306
Sorry to stray off topic on this thread - but a Tweet suddenly hit me in the eye this morning. This is a 1972 creation of Owen Luder Partnership - Dunbar House in New Malden. I see this as a more rounded and evolved version of the starkly square "336 Brixton Road" aka Coutts Computer Centre. I also have confirmation from my original source that they think the Owen Luder Partnership did design 336 Brixton Road.

Quite co-inicdentally doesn't Dunbar House look like a 3 storey version of the soon-to-be-binned David Adjaye architects Hondo Tower? David Adjaye came in for a lot of stick this week from Baroness Deech regarding the Holocaust Memorial (link below)

Looks like the Queens Head has closed again, not seen it open for over a week. It was always pretty dead inside so surprised it lasted so long

Back
Top Bottom