Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Brixton food & drink news: new restaurants, bars, pop ups, cafes and more

And here's how the karaoke looked last night.

karaoke-albert-march-2024-01.jpg

karaoke-albert-march-2024-03.jpg

Here's how the Hope & Anchor describes itself. This short paragraph has pretty much guaranteed that I'll never set foot in the place. 'Chin dribbling,' FFS!

In between vibrant Brixton and trendy Clapham you will find The Hope & Anchor, a lively bar with London’s best pub garden out back. The concept is simple – great vibes, chin-dribbling street food, and Instagram-worthy drinks.

Here's how the Hope & Anchor describes itself. This short paragraph has pretty much guaranteed that I'll never set foot in the place. 'Chin dribbling,' FFS!
'Instagram-worthy drinks' grinds my gears even more! Surely you buy a drink because it tastes nice, or brings on mild to moderate intoxication, rather then because it looks good. :D

I really do try to use San Marino instead of a chain but their wi-fi continues to infuriate (if it's even turned on).
I just wasted 5 mins trying to sign up to their form which demands way too much personal info and still won't connect.

I really do try to use San Marino instead of a chain but their wi-fi continues to infuriate (if it's even turned on).
I just wasted 5 mins trying to sign up to their form which demands way too much personal info and still won't connect.
There's that newish Eritrean place Azmarino nearer to the Fuzz.
How's their WiFi?
1711753502869.png

Here's how the Prince Albert looked at 1.15am. It's fucking heart-breaking to see it so empty.

1711769670337.png

Edit to add: There's been loads of nights like this at the Albert recently and it wasn't just because it was Easter. I had a good crowd at the Effra Social earlier, Hoots was busy and even the Dogstar had a crowd.

It's down to the pub booking out of town DJs with no following that no one's heard of or want to hear, playing through a shockingly bad PA (partially destroyed by their shit DJs). And because they've just been hired in from wherever, they have no local connections and do absolutely zero promotion. End result: one empty pub. Again. :(

Last edited:
TBF I suspect most cafes, pubs and eateries nowadays provide free WiFi mainly as a courtesy for overseas visitors. I never bother to latch onto an establishment’s guest WiFi in the UK when out and about unless there’s no mobile data signal available. And very often a 5G signal is faster and more reliable than any WiFi offered by an eatery, anyway.

Catastrophe. Marks and Spencer is closing on 11 April for a six month refurb.

Interesting. Sort of makes sense given how small the shop is.

I do go there a bit for last minute stuff, as the Sainsbury's across the road always feels a bit chaotic

Glad you told me that. I don't use it regularly but there are a few things I go in specially for. One thing is teachers' end of year gifts, which I'm now going to go get on Saturday.

It's a real pain as I'm a regular late shopper there, scooping up tasty cut-price deals.

Here's how the Prince Albert looked at 1.15am. It's fucking heart-breaking to see it so empty.

View attachment 417812

Edit to add: There's been loads of nights like this at the Albert recently and it wasn't just because it was Easter. I had a good crowd at the Effra Social earlier, Hoots was busy and even the Dogstar had a crowd.

It's down to the pub booking out of town DJs with no following that no one's heard of or want to hear, playing through a shockingly bad PA (partially destroyed by their shit DJs). And because they've just been hired in from wherever, they have no local connections and do absolutely zero promotion. End result: one empty pub. Again. :(
So the pub is doing badly as you are not resident DJ?

So the pub is doing badly as you are not resident DJ?
No, it's not doing well because - as I've already explained - they're booking DJs with no connection to the area, who don't know the crowd and don't do any promotion.
It was very busy earlier that night with a good mix of locals in.
But at 1am it was deserted. I want this pub to survive and thrive, and I'm not the only one concerned about the direction it's taken recently.

No, it's not doing well because - as I've already explained - they're booking DJs with no connection to the area, who don't know the crowd and don't do any promotion.

But at 1am it was deserted. I want this pub to survive and thrive, and I'm not the only one concerned about the direction it's taken recently.
There are loads of problems with the Albert.
Prices have gone up significantly. Toilets are disgusting with encrusted urine all over the urinals, pipes, walls. Covid dissipated the previous crowd who have not returned. Uncomfortable seats. No food. Sticky surfaces everywhere.

There are loads of problems with the Albert.
Prices have gone up significantly. Toilets are disgusting with encrusted urine all over the urinals, pipes, walls. Covid dissipated the previous crowd who have not returned. Uncomfortable seats. No food. Sticky surfaces everywhere.
Sure. But those problems are even less likely to get fixed if there's fewer people staying late and spending cash. And as we both know, some local DJs can bring a bigger crowd who stay until the end.

But what absolutely makes the job harder for all the DJs - whether local or not - is the shockingly shit sound system, which has been made considerably worse after some amateur reggae DJs finally destroyed the bass bin I was loaning to the bar for free.

Sure. But those problems are even less likely to get fixed if there's fewer people staying late and spending cash. And as we both know, some local DJs can bring a bigger crowd who stay until the end.

But what absolutely makes the job harder for all the DJs - whether local or not - is the shockingly shit sound system, which has been made considerably worse after some amateur reggae DJs finally destroyed the bass bin I was loaning to the bar for free.
I feel your pain over broken bass bin. That sucks.

I just get the feeling lately the management and brewery don’t care much.

I feel your pain over broken bass bin. That sucks.
I warned them so many fucking times. Stop running the LEDS on the mixer into the red. Red means stop, FFS.

It also means that it's going to sound totally shit, but these amateurs thought they knew better.

If I had my way, every time a DJ sends the LEDS deep into the red, they get an electric shock. Maybe that will learn 'em.

They had an 'artist takeover' at the Albert. Except the singer changed her mind about doing a DJ set afterwards, so the pub had to make do with a playlist for the rest of the night.

1712407292567.png

I wasn't there, but one long term regular on the pub's Facebook page observed: "Never seen it that empty on a Friday."

But that might because they'd handed over an entire night to an act that no one has heard of, has no local connections etc etczzzzz.

Word is that the Queen's Head is closing for good, with the property being flogged off for flats.
Anyone know any more?
It's not the for groundfloor, it's the two floors above, but as CAMRA have commented in the planning application "adding some residential accommodation on upper floors, would lead to a situation where the existence of the pub itself is under threat."

No decision on the application has been made yet, and it's not on any published agenda but it seems like comments are still being accepted, so all you NIMBYs can go and do your NIMBY thing. The agreed expiry date is 30th April 2024 so in theory the council ought to have made a decision by then, but they won't.

details here: 23/02588/FUL | Change of use of the ancillary rooms of the Public House at first and second floor level into 2 residentials units (Use Class C3). External alterations involving erection of a side extension at first floor level with 2 roof lights and creation of a rear roof terrace incorporating a balustrade; addition of secondary glazing; restoration of the front facade including reinstating the signage, new entrance doors; repair of the roof and soffit. | The Farside Bar And Kitchen 144 Stockwell Road London Lambeth SW9 9TQ

Doesn't seem to be too much appeal on that stretch of Coldharbour Lane these days. I've not been into the replacement for the 414 (and not particularly desperate to) nor the Market House since its rather foolish attempt to be a posh Indian restaurant, POW lost its appeal when it ditched the Thursday Jazz nights a few years back, and it looks like The Albert and Dogstar are often dead? Seems a shame, especially when you walk past that department store on a Saturday afternoon stuffed with middle class folk guffawing over 'Bottomless Brunch'. Glad Hootananny is still going strong and I'm not surprised, it continues to put on wicked events for cheap prices.

Doesn't seem to be too much appeal on that stretch of Coldharbour Lane these days. I've not been into the replacement for the 414 (and not particularly desperate to) nor the Market House since its rather foolish attempt to be a posh Indian restaurant, POW lost its appeal when it ditched the Thursday Jazz nights a few years back, and it looks like The Albert and Dogstar are often dead? Seems a shame, especially when you walk past that department store on a Saturday afternoon stuffed with middle class folk guffawing over 'Bottomless Brunch'. Glad Hootananny is still going strong and I'm not surprised, it continues to put on wicked events for cheap prices.
I took an old Brixton pal past Canova Hall yesterday and he was shocked at the state of it. There seemed to be two hen parties in full swing with someone screaming into a mic. It looks more Clapham than Clapham.

The Ton of Bricks is apparently going for some sort of rebrand/relaunch which is much needed because it's shite at the moment and seems to have no interaction with the local community (unlike the 414).

Like you, I gave up on PoW after they got rid of their super successful jazz nights (why?! ) and the Market House seems to be patchy.

The Dogstar sometimes gets a bit of a crowd but is a pale shadow of its former self. I'm taking a big gamble and bringing my Queen Bitch gay nights back to the venue in June. The last one was packed but I'll be pretty much starting from zero now.

I think the Albert situation is fixable and that starts with having a coherent music policy rather than a succession of random outside DJs who clearly have no understanding of the place. It's not a house music bar - it's a reggae/alternative community boozer!

Oh and the Chip Shop seems to do well, but then that place is tiny!

Back
Top Bottom