Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Brixton food & drink news: new restaurants, bars, pop ups, cafes and more

It is that time of year when I have to buy two significant people who like ale presents. The last few years I have just been able to pop to the Sympathetic Ear and get a few bottles but now that they have closed, I don't really know where I can go select from a varied range of ales from independent brewers.
Not bothered about value for money, they're presents.
Any suggestions where I can go in Brixton? Is the Brewery behind where SW9 used to be still there?
Ghost Whale on Saltoun Road or London Beer Lab on Nursery Road(behind SW9) have a good selection.

It is that time of year when I have to buy two significant people who like ale presents. The last few years I have just been able to pop to the Sympathetic Ear and get a few bottles but now that they have closed, I don't really know where I can go select from a varied range of ales from independent brewers.
Not bothered about value for money, they're presents.
Any suggestions where I can go in Brixton? Is the Brewery behind where SW9 used to be still there?
There's also Friendship Adventure

Ghost Whale on Saltoun Road or London Beer Lab on Nursery Road(behind SW9) have a good selection.
I went to London Beer Lab as I was in Brixton and haven't been there for years.
They were super helpful and opened the shop for me as it was still closed. Good range.
Only disappointment was everything is in a can. They said no one is making in bottles any more but at The Sympathetic Ear there were always loads of bottles and one of my friends likes bottles.
But definitely achieved the aim.

Glass has got much more expensive in recent years. Although at the prices some of these 'craft beer' places charge, its a wonder they can't absorb the cost. They usually give a bullshit excuse about the environment, or even taste being why they use cans over glass (which loads of people fall for hook, line and sinker), but essentially they are lying about cutting costs to keep the profits healthy.

I went to London Beer Lab as I was in Brixton and haven't been there for years.
They were super helpful and opened the shop for me as it was still closed. Good range.
Only disappointment was everything is in a can. They said no one is making in bottles any more but at The Sympathetic Ear there were always loads of bottles and one of my friends likes bottles.
But definitely achieved the aim.
They were really, really helpful when we launched the Brixton Buzz beers too. t's a shame we've never found another brewery to partner with, although I can see how our insistence of giving every single penny of the profits away to local charities makes it a less than attractive option for more profit driven enterprises.

I had my first Mama Dough pizza this evening.

Would not recommend.

What is it you like about their pizzas felonius monk ?
The last one I had a month or so ago was not as good as previously, probably 6 months before. Seems the Mama Dough chain went into administration in last December and bought out by new owners (who own The Exhibit in Balham). The new company kept 5 of the 7 restaurants and closed two. That may account for a change in quality (menu is a bit different). Collapsed London pizza chain Mamma Dough bought out, saving 47 jobs

Glass has got much more expensive in recent years. Although at the prices some of these 'craft beer' places charge, its a wonder they can't absorb the cost. They usually give a bullshit excuse about the environment, or even taste being why they use cans over glass (which loads of people fall for hook, line and sinker), but essentially they are lying about cutting costs to keep the profits healthy.
Most brewers moved to can before glass got pricey for operational(smaller, lighter, quicker to chill down) and quality reasons(no light, less oxygen ingress). Trend came from US and then small canning lines became available and affordable here. If u want glass from a local brewery try Orbit in Walworth, think avail. at Ghost Whale.

The last one I had a month or so ago was not as good as previously, probably 6 months before. Seems the Mama Dough chain went into administration in last December and bought out by new owners (who own The Exhibit in Balham). The new company kept 5 of the 7 restaurants and closed two. That may account for a change in quality (menu is a bit different). Collapsed London pizza chain Mamma Dough bought out, saving 47 jobs
I love those quiotes from Begbies Traynor. I was working for Lambeth Accord at 336 Brixton Road when they went bust in January 2000.
The charity was "put into administration" - which meant basically that the largest creditor HM Inland Revenue could not close it down.
There was a reconstruction involving two mortgages on the charity's ghastly building to be paid off in seven years.
1699033444478.png
Meanwhile Begbies got £50 an hour for telephone conversations about what to do with the accounts - if the call was with an administrator.
If however the call was with a Begbies partner it was £200 an hour. Then there was the correspondence - getting all the creditors to agree to this arrangement - chargeable.
And the creditor's meeting. Trauma-rooney!

I guess allowing for inflation those rates could have trebled by now. I don't think people realise how firms like Grant Thornton and Begbies Traynor enjoy a parasititc relationship with insolvency. The more firms go bust the higher the profits at Begbies and Co!

Karaoke tonight!

karaoke-night-brixton-web.jpg

The big, fab, fun, free Brixton Karaoke party returns to the Prince Albert this Sunday, 5th Nov 2023

I love that building. That’s on old photo, since when it’s been smartened up.
You should try working in it for 20 years! The main problem is massive heat loss and heat gain due to huge areas of single glazing.
Needed air conditioning on in summer - which would add to the massive heating bills in winter, given current energy costs.
The actual style is 1960s brutalist - and the designer Owen Luder was chair of RIBA TWICE!
"Luder also has the unique claim to fame of having served as president of the RIBA for two separate terms: from 1981-83 and 1995-97. He also served as chair of the Architects Registration Board.12 Oct 2021"
Mr Luder - who built and lived in a small house in Herne Hill Road at one time - died in 2021 aged 93.
He did a cameo turn at the end of the TV series on brutalism by Jonathan Meader. Owen Luder, like Robin Day, always wore a bow tie.

You should try working in it for 20 years! The main problem is massive heat loss and heat gain due to huge areas of single glazing.
Needed air conditioning on in summer - which would add to the massive heating bills in winter, given current energy costs.
The actual style is 1960s brutalist - and the designer Owen Luder was chair of RIBA TWICE!
"Luder also has the unique claim to fame of having served as president of the RIBA for two separate terms: from 1981-83 and 1995-97. He also served as chair of the Architects Registration Board.12 Oct 2021"
Mr Luder - who built and lived in a small house in Herne Hill Road at one time - died in 2021 aged 93.
He did a cameo turn at the end of the TV series on brutalism by Jonathan Meader. Owen Luder, like Robin Day, always wore a bow tie.

I forgot to post the last time you repeated the claim that Owen Luder designed 336 Brixton Road that Lambeth's planning records (page 328 of pdf) show that the original (1964) planning consent was granted to Messrs George, Davies and Webb of Jermyn Street. They seem to have been an unexciting commercial firm of architects. The only mention of them in Pevsner is a building they did at 55-57 High Holborn in the 1950s which is sober curtain walling in a stone frame. It is not impossible that they passed the job on to Luder, as the only other reference I can find to the firm is a merger in 1966 to create an architecture and engineering consultancy working in the boomtown of Abu Dhabi.

Messrs 336 Building.png

Reactions: CH1
I forgot to post the last time you repeated the claim that Owen Luder designed 336 Brixton Road that Lambeth's planning records (page 328 of pdf) show that the original (1964) planning consent was granted to Messrs George, Davies and Webb of Jermyn Street. They seem to have been an unexciting commercial firm of architects. The only mention of them in Pevsner is a building they did at 55-57 High Holborn in the 1950s which is sober curtain walling in a stone frame. It is not impossible that they passed the job on to Luder, as the only other reference I can find to the firm is a merger in 1966 to create an architecture and engineering consultancy working in the boomtown of Abu Dhabi.

Messrs View attachment 400306
Interesting about the original date - 1964. Was it ever used as a warehouse I wonder - before Coutts bank used it to house their mainframe computer and store records?
I had the suggestion that Owen Luder was involved from the secretary of a well known local society who studied at the Brixton College of Building in Ferndale Road - an establishment Owen Luder also attended, presumably at least 20 years earlier.
I never saw any record mentioning Owen Luder when I worked there. There was masses of stuff concerning a dispute with Pellings - who seem to have been the architect who converted the building from a computer centre and made it accessible.
Pellings still exist and I think designed the regeneration scheme for the Clapham Park Estate.

I went to the Clink for the first time last night. It wasn’t cheap by any standards, and there’s a reasonable amount of faff involved in getting in and leaving - but the food and service was really good so,we all enjoyed it a lot. Would recommend.
Presumably not as lively as "Banged Up"?

Been to The Clink for lunch- as you say, a bit of a faff getting in but the food makes it absolutely worth it; plus, it's such an important enterprise in that it equips prisoners with skills for when they're released.
This is in Brixton nick?

not tried the clink yet but from the other side I had the most interesting meals while there during black history month sometime last millenium, made a massive change to the usual prison fare, but not everyone there liked it. where is the sausage and mash!!!

Franco Manca will be closing their Market Row restaurant and moving to a bigger space in Brixton soon.

I used to eat my takeaway pizza leaning outside a closed market shop next to Franco's before he went missing decades ago, bit of a milestone, the race bike riding waiter used to live around the corner from me in vauxhall, lovely person.

That space that's been taken by The Black Farmer... is that what was Nour before?

Did it have that big glass roof all the time, hidden above a false ceiling? Or did I just not notice it?

New (and IMO blandly corporate) 'The Black Farmer' signage has now gone up on the Market Row fascia. Rumour from other local traders is a 14 December opening.

ETA: 14th Dec now confirmed as official public opening date with 11th -13th Dec as "VIP testing days" with 20% off.
(Not the most generous of "soft launch" discounts given all that can go awry!)

Last edited:
New (and IMO blandly corporate) 'The Black Farmer' signage has now gone up on the Market Row fascia. Rumour from other local traders is a 14 December opening.

ETA: 14th Dec now confirmed as official public opening date with 11th -13th Dec as "VIP testing days" with 20% off.
(Not the most generous of "soft launch" discounts given all that can go awry!)
I went and had a look, didn't buy anything, had my hand shaken by Wilfred the BF. The space is amazing but the food prices look exorbitant. He has his own brand of crisps at well over £3 for a small tub. I don't think he'll be taking much of Nour's customer base.

Attachments

• 20231212_121941.jpg
    20231212_121941.jpg
    159.2 KB · Views: 32
  • 20231212_121839.jpg
    20231212_121839.jpg
    106.4 KB · Views: 32
Back
Top Bottom