Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Brixton food & drink news: new restaurants, bars, pop ups, cafes and more

Except for the £12,000+ she got for doing nothing more than posting up a crowdfunding page. But just to be clear, you think £6 is a very reasonable price for a load of bread, yes?
No one has to contribute to a crowd funder though. It was probably mostly family, friends and existing customers as why would anyone else.

Except for the £12,000+ she got for doing nothing more than posting up a crowdfunding page. But just to be clear, you think £6 is a very reasonable price for a load of bread, yes?

I think it’s been established ( post 4,227 ) that 4 to 5 pounds is the price range at Gail’s, mayas and blackbird.

I don’t really see the point of agreeing a “reasonable price”, unless you are planning of taking over the country, fixing inflation and doing something about the price of a loaf of sourdough. I’d also like to think that if either of us took over the country, this specific thing would be some way down the list.

However if hundreds of people are prepared to pay for it, then this seems to be widely accepted to be a reasonable price range. Whatever you or I think.

Alex

I think it’s been established ( post 4,227 ) that 4 to 5 pounds is the price range at Gail’s, mayas and blackbird.

I don’t really see the point of agreeing a “reasonable price”, unless you are planning of taking over the country, fixing inflation and doing something about the price of a loaf of sourdough. I’d also like to think that if either of us took over the country, this specific thing would be some way down the list.

However if hundreds of people are prepared to pay for it, then this seems to be widely accepted to be a reasonable price range. Whatever you or I think.

Alex
A simple yes/no answer would have sufficed. I don't think its reasonable so I won't be going anywhere near the place, but then I'm not a fan of gentrification

No one has to contribute to a crowd funder though. It was probably mostly family, friends and existing customers as why would anyone else.
While that’s true, in this case the business in question is selling credit notes that are redeemable against their products - not asking for donations.

Lots of Brixton businesses have benefited from crowdfunders in the recent past - Brixton Wholefoods, Elm Park Tavern and Nour being among them. They’ve all used them in slightly different ways, but since they’re not start-ups they don’t seem to have attracted the same kind of emotion.

While that’s true, in this case the business in question is selling credit notes that are redeemable against their products - not asking for donations.

Lots of Brixton businesses have benefited from crowdfunders in the recent past - Brixton Wholefoods, Elm Park Tavern and Nour being among them. They’ve all used them in slightly different ways, but since they’re not start-ups they don’t seem to have attracted the same kind of emotion.
If the Elm Park Tavern was selling pints for a tenner, maybe they would.

if the Elm Park Tavern was selling pints for a tenner, maybe they would.

And the limited 'credit notes' added up to a bun and a cup of tea if you contributed up to £44 for anyone who didn't pledge cash quickly.
I think the crowd funder here is irrelevant. I certainly wouldn't choose to give money to it but no one was coerced or mislead about what they were funding or would get.
You can be incredulous because you wouldn't give Tova posh bakery start up but she hasn't done anything wrong going about funding this way.

I think the crowd funder here is irrelevant. I certainly wouldn't choose to give money to it but no one was coerced or mislead about what they were funding or would get.
You can be incredulous because you wouldn't give Tova posh bakery start up but she hasn't done anything wrong going about funding this way.
Where on earth have I even suggested that she's done anything wrong?
If she can get people to hand over £12,000 so she can make profits from her business more power to her elbow, but it's not something I'll be celebrating because I'm not interested in such unaffordable places.

Where on earth have I even suggested that she's done anything wrong?
If she can get people to hand over £12,000 so she can make profits from her business more power to her elbow, but it's not something I'll be celebrating because I'm not interested in such unaffordable places.
In response to someone saying she's not ripping people off you said 'except' for the £12000 she got through crowd funder.
So that sounds pretty pejorative.
Her fundraising was transparent even if like you I am not interested in such unaffordable bread.
I am neither celebrating or criticising as I'm sure I could find far worse to say about the big Sainsbury's across the way.
And I continue to doubt her business model in this climate, taking on a shop comes with massive overheads.

Per can???
Or for a 4 pack?

(If it is per can, I undoubtedly could get better for a quid elsewhere)
It would be great if it was under a quid, but sadly it's four times as much so it's drenched in Edgelord Hipster Irony (the name comes from a Google review for one of their earlier beers).

The rest of their range comes with similar 'you don't have to be mad to work here but it helps' names. Those East London guys!

1698058661469.png

Radio 4 food programme 15:30 23 Oct.
Food and health in and around Brixton / Streatham
Sheila Dillon talks to a Dr Etofor (spelling?) about getting health into the community, integrated health systems with diet improvements etc

(apologies for derailing from the thrust of this thread: there is no discussion of artisanal bread prices)

ETA - thanks for the miracles of text recognition of screen grabs I got this:
A pilot public health scheme in south east London is prescribing fresh fruit & veg to people with chronic disease and mental health conditions.

Sheila Dillon meets Dr Chi-Chi Ekhator, an NHS GP and lead at the A.T Beacon Project, to hear how the prescriptions are working, and how it's a part of their mission to bring healthcare out of GP surgeries and into the heart of Lambeth's most hard-to-reach communities.

Presented by Sheila Dillon and produced by Sophie Anton for BBC Audio in Bristol

il_794xN.2063491631_ssrw.jpg

It would be great if it was under a quid, but sadly it's four times as much so it's drenched in Edgelord Hipster Irony (the name comes from a Google review for one of their earlier beers).

The rest of their range comes with similar 'you don't have to be mad to work here but it helps' names. Those East London guys!

View attachment 396756
Four quid a can, for shite, is taking the piss

Regarding beer - Lidl are doing this at the moment @ £1.59 for a 500mL bottle - autumn special offer.
1698162216647.png
Of course this was a seasonal Young's beer prior to the decease of John Young R.I.P.
When Young's grave was barely cold the brewer turned into a PubCo and the brewing business' was sold on to Charles Wells of Bedford, who in turn sold their brands to Marstons - who in 2020 did a deal merging their interests into Carlsberg-Marstons.
So I guess ed and others won't like this beer on ideological grounds - but IMHO it still tastes good.
My advice is "get some in before they abolish it!"

Regarding beer - Lidl are doing this at the moment @ £1.59 for a 500mL bottle - autumn special offer.
View attachment 396917
Of course this was a seasonal Young's beer prior to the decease of John Young R.I.P.
When Young's grave was barely cold the brewer turned into a PubCo and the brewing business' was sold on to Charles Wells of Bedford, who in turn sold their brands to Marstons - who in 2020 did a deal merging their interests into Carlsberg-Marstons.
So I guess ed and others won't like this beer on ideological grounds - but IMHO it still tastes good.
I've long since given up trying to find ideologically sound beers when I'm out and about.

View attachment 396917
My Dad, raised a stones throw away from the Youngs Brewery and a former frequent visitor to their many Wandsworth pubs, has long said John Young would 'be turning in his grave' at what they've done to the Youngs estate and company in general. Having worked in 2 Youngs pubs in the late noughties I can confirm they also treat their staff like shit.

Without reading through the whole thread, can anyone recommend a decent place for lunch tomorrow? Not for me, Mrs Numbers is meeting a pal down there and are looking for a decent place for lunch. Sil vous plait :)

Without reading through the whole thread, can anyone recommend a decent place for lunch tomorrow? Not for me, Mrs Numbers is meeting a pal down there and are looking for a decent place for lunch. Sil vous plait :)
The Lounge on Atlantic Road is pretty good.

It is that time of year when I have to buy two significant people who like ale presents. The last few years I have just been able to pop to the Sympathetic Ear and get a few bottles but now that they have closed, I don't really know where I can go select from a varied range of ales from independent brewers.
Not bothered about value for money, they're presents.
Any suggestions where I can go in Brixton? Is the Brewery behind where SW9 used to be still there?

Back
Top Bottom