Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Brixton food & drink news: new restaurants, bars, pop ups, cafes and more

Yeah it was a great pub back then. You could walk in, stand at the bar and just chat to another punter.
There was a crowd who were in there almost every night. I see one or two of them around still but not in the pub.
The Albert still - just about - has that vibe but it's a rare thing these days, sadly.

Does anyone know, on the off chance, are there any pubs in Brixton that show the GAA? I'd like to watch the Derry match on Saturday early evening. Im thinking maybe the Alex by Clapham Common would be the closest bet?
The Griffin Belle is showing the GAA.
The pub is situated in Wyvil Road - off South Lambeth Road.

The Griffin Belle is showing the GAA.
The pub is situated in Wyvil Road - off South Lambeth Road.
Thanks. I'd never heard of this pub, but checked the drinks prices on their website and they are far too wild for my liking (£6.40 for a pint of Amstel 🤮). Might see if a nearby Irish pub called Nolan's are showing it, as ive heard good things and been meaning to visit it for a while.

Thanks. I'd never heard of this pub, but checked the drinks prices on their website and they are far too wild for my liking (£6.40 for a pint of Amstel 🤮). Might see if a nearby Irish pub called Nolan's are showing it, as ive heard good things and been meaning to visit it for a while.
Jesus - see what you mean about the prices.
I live close to it but not been in for awhile...
Won't be rushing back soon.
Shame Wetherspoons don't show sport..
Enjoy the game if you get to see it...

No idea if Nolan's will be showing the game, but i went in for the first time a few weeks ago on a Tuesday evening - and it was great. A step back in time in a good way

I see Brixton Brewery have been slopping their Heineken millions around with a garish takeover of every inch of advertising space on the tube station. Seems unfair on all the real independent breweries in the area who haven't got the luxury of a multi billion dollar backer.

1657276808413.png

Bum. Has it closed already? For the first time in ten years I need to go into a branch! :facepalm:
HSBC has moved across the road:

(Edit - link to branch doesn’t work but it’s shown as open)

Hootananny is RAMMED these days!

frin-night-hoot-01.jpg

frin-night-hoot-07.jpg

I met someone at the weekend whose phone was nicked at the Hootananny on Friday night (possibly while dancing). Seems that there were quite a few people who also had the same thing happen that evening so revellers beware...

I met someone at the weekend whose phone was nicked at the Hootananny on Friday night (possibly while dancing). Seems that there were quite a few people who also had the same thing happen that evening so revellers beware...
There used to be phone nicking gangs working the Dogstar when that place used to be busy. I guess the darkness of the ain room at Hoot gives these scrotes the opportunity to steal stuff.

It's been my local for the past 20 years so I hope it manages to survive in some form. For half of that time it was all peeling paint, sticky carpets and fruit machines, with the back bar a festival of formica that was rarely opened to punters. No kitchen and hence no food, but they'd give you a fistful of takeaway menus and a plate and cutlery if you promised to stay and drink. It had a laughably crap quiz and occasionally someone lamely strumming a guitar, but not much more.

The two people who took it over in about 2010 gave it a light cleanup but continued to run it in the same convivial but shabby spirit as before. One of them then died very suddenly and his business partner struggled on for a bit before selling up. It's had three (at least) other owners since then, each of whom has invested more in the place, but with every refurb I've found myself liking it just that bit less and consequently going there less often. Now it has all the appearance of a smart gastropub but lacks the ability to offer the kind of experience that implies. The audience bandwidth has narrowed and it feels to me like a generally less comfortable place to be.

As you say, it's a small place in the backstreets, but it's in a very residential area with quite a large catchment if they play it right. I'm not even going the dignify the anti-LTN crowd argument with a response. It's simply not an issue for all the reasons you say.

My biggest complaint when the refurb happened was that they put in a lot of tiling, which made the sound of the pub very different. No longer a warm burbling hubbub, the sound of the chatter was much sharper and as the evening progressed everyone was obliged to raise their voices til we were shouting at each other.

It’s one of my big bugbears about indoor public spaces and sometimes I’ve decided not to stay somewhere if the acoustics are uncomfortable. It seems really stupid to me that this kind of thing isn't taken into account when places are updated, not least because it makes the working environment for staff so much more stressful.

My biggest complaint when the refurb happened was that they put in a lot of tiling, which made the sound of the pub very different. No longer a warm burbling hubbub, the sound of the chatter was much sharper and as the evening progressed everyone was obliged to raise their voices til we were shouting at each other.

It’s one of my big bugbears about indoor public spaces and sometimes I’ve decided not to stay somewhere if the acoustics are uncomfortable. It seems really stupid to me that this kind of thing isn't taken into account when places are updated, not least because it makes the working environment for staff so much more stressful.
I went to a pub in a backstreet somewhere near Grays Inn Road a couple of years ago. First time in ages I'd been to a properly unrefurbed place with a good old fashioned patterned carpeted floor. Stank of sour beer as a result (back in the day that used to be masked by the cigarette smoke) but the acoustics were lovely.

It seems to growing in popularity too and some pubs are just unbearable as a result.

Back
Top Bottom