Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Brixton food & drink news: new restaurants, bars, pop ups, cafes and more

The breweries have all been putting up their prices recently.
Was talking to one of the owners of a Brixton Based brewery last night and he says that the local breweries are struggling a bit because Brixton Brewery are undercutting them on price. Only option is for them to increase the prices by 20-40p a pint to recoup the lost income….. but that fuels the debate about quantity vs price I suppose…..

Was talking to one of the owners of a Brixton Based brewery last night and he says that the local breweries are struggling a bit because Brixton Brewery are undercutting them on price. Only option is for them to increase the prices by 20-40p a pint to recoup the lost income….. but that fuels the debate about quantity vs price I suppose…..
If their problems are caused by being uncompetitive on price then it seems unlikely that raising the price more will help them tbh.

Brixton Brewery has also started a big marketing campaign Brixton Brewery invites shoppers to 'get a taste of Brixton' with first major campaign

If their problems are caused by being uncompetitive on price then it seems unlikely that raising the price more will help them tbh.
I think the logic followed that most of the people who drink in the genuine microbreweries actually care about beer etc so would be willing to pay 20p more for a pint if it meant they stayed open.

Its a tough call though but i dont think they can compete on price with Heineken

Went to a meeting in the White Horse last week Wednesday lunchtime.
St Austell was supposed to be on, but the barperson told me it was "resting"
So I elected to have a pint of Brixton Brewery Coldharbour Lager.
£6.85 - I nearly had a heart attack.
Good job their air conditioning was first rate - waiting for the ambulance would have been quite comfortable.

Important developments to report among the purveyors of Anglo-Indian saucy standards hereabouts. Dial-a-Curry on Half Moon Lane has sadly shut up shop. This meant a lightning pivot to Curry Paradise, which we’ve always found a bit meh and haven’t ordered from in perhaps five years.

Our panel of reviewers noticed a marked improvement in presentation, freshness and quality. Plus a notable reduction in the amount of oil used, and a total absence in the veggie mains of the frozen chopped mix of sweetcorn, green beans and the like that they used to rely on. We will be going back - though will be ordering spicier dishes next time. It’s all still a bit cautious in the flavour department.

The people there are as lovely as they’ve always been.

Important developments to report among the purveyors of Anglo-Indian saucy standards hereabouts. Dial-a-Curry on Half Moon Lane has sadly shut up shop. This meant a lightning pivot to Curry Paradise, which we’ve always found a bit meh and haven’t ordered from in perhaps five years.

Our panel of reviewers noticed a marked improvement in presentation, freshness and quality. Plus a notable reduction in the amount of oil used, and a total absence in the veggie mains of the frozen chopped mix of sweetcorn, green beans and the like that they used to rely on. We will be going back - though will be ordering spicier dishes next time. It’s all still a bit cautious in the flavour department.

The people there are as lovely as they’ve always been.
This is tragic news to be sure. For a long time my go to curry thanks to buscador . Although I confess to having drifted towards the Rajah Rowing Club of late, (which is just bloody lovely). And now I feel like it's my fault. 😧

This is tragic news to be sure. For a long time my go to curry thanks to buscador . Although I confess to having drifted towards the Rajah Rowing Club of late, (which is just bloody lovely). And now I feel like it's my fault. 😧
Just looked up RRC and it looks nice but about twice the price of dial a curry - what a loss!!

Just looked up RRC and it looks nice but about twice the price of dial a curry - what a loss!!
Very true. Main reason for me is that I love a lamb curry. And most take out lamb is a bit ... unpredictable. So I always go chicken or veg. RRC lamb is melt in the mouth amazing though. The spices are a lot more subtle. And none of the MSG mouth the next day. Extras like rice and breads are pricey. Mind you - portions are good. I always get a good lunch out of it the next day.

Very true. Main reason for me is that I love a lamb curry. And most take out lamb is a bit ... unpredictable. So I always go chicken or veg. RRC lamb is melt in the mouth amazing though. The spices are a lot more subtle. And none of the MSG mouth the next day. Extras like rice and breads are pricey. Mind you - portions are good. I always get a good lunch out of it the next day.
Yes I always over order for next day so maybe one order from RRC will match the DAC bill.
If you like a lamb curry my OH loves the one at the Indian YMCA apparently it’s very tender (I’m veggie so can’t testify).

Yes I always over order for next day so maybe one order from RRC will match the DAC bill.
If you like a lamb curry my OH loves the one at the Indian YMCA apparently it’s very tender (I’m veggie so can’t testify).
Where's that?

Where's that?
It’s in Fitzroy Square. Canteen like place cheap but authentic food weekday lunchtime (we went weekend and it was totally different and not as good). The residents (mainly Indian students) eat there and lots of local workers and students in the know.

Went to a meeting in the White Horse last week Wednesday lunchtime.
St Austell was supposed to be on, but the barperson told me it was "resting"
So I elected to have a pint of Brixton Brewery Coldharbour Lager.
£6.85 - I nearly had a heart attack.
Good job their air conditioning was first rate - waiting for the ambulance would have been quite comfortable.
I'll never forgive that brewery for releasing Coldharbour Lager so soon after our Coldharbour Courage charity beer was released.

There had never been any beer named after Coldharbour Lane (AFAIK) until we launched ours and it had already enjoyed a decent amount of press and managed to raise a lot of money for the Soup Kitchen.

People quite naturally got very confused and were buying their beer thinking they were helping the community, while the Brixton Brewery was pocketing all the cash for themselves on their way to being scooped up by a billion dollar brewery multinational. But I guess that's what entrepreneurialism is all about...

It’s in Fitzroy Square. Canteen like place cheap but authentic food weekday lunchtime (we went weekend and it was totally different and not as good). The residents (mainly Indian students) eat there and lots of local workers and students in the know.
The Indian YMCA is definitely good. In a similar vein is The India Club on the Strand. But I think we're in different territory here. Places catering to Indians travelling away from home or to the settled communities of Tooting, Wembley, Southall and so on are as similar to a neighbourhood takeaway curry as Chicago deep dish pizza is to a margarita in Naples. They serve different audiences with different tastes.

Both can be great however. I've never bought into the idea that one is more authentic than the other. Culture isn't static, and the blurring of edges when different people meet is all to the good, in my view!

I noticed on Sunday that Dial-a-Curry appeared to be no more...i only had it once so will hardly miss it other than that i found it humorous in how basic the name was.

I too like lamb in my curry, and have considered using Rajah Rowing Club before, but i think i took a look at their prices and thought again. I tend to save money on rice by microwaving from a sachet, if its a good sachet there isn't much difference!

I would highly rate Curry Leaves on Falcon Road, Battersea, which delivers to Brixton. Its Nepalese but a high quality of curry for a very fair price.

Isn’t that just some Instagram bs - it’s not a post from the venue.

Apparently it’s a Brixton based restaurant reviewer.

Who has likely been comp’ed a meal.

I wonder why you’d say in your bio you only post positive reviews ?

Attachments

• 861309B5-524A-43BC-9D14-DE3CC5C81627.jpeg
    861309B5-524A-43BC-9D14-DE3CC5C81627.jpeg
    286.8 KB · Views: 16
Back
Top Bottom