Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Brixton food & drink news: new restaurants, bars, pop ups, cafes and more

A 'reviewer' that only gives positive reviews is not a reviewer. Especially on fucking Instagram. It's just another wannabe freeloading 'influencer.'

...I guess if one is a wannabe goping round slagging places off you ain’t gonna get far as an influencer, as long as they are being sincere and telling their truth then theyre not hurting anyone as far as I can see.

Last edited:
...I guess if one is a wannabe goping round slagging places off you ain’t gonna get far as an influencer, as long as they are being sincere and telling their truth then theyre not hurting anyone as far as I can see.
Forgive me if I have my doubts about the sincerity of an Instagram 'reviewer' promising only positive reviews in advance.

Went to a meeting in the White Horse last week Wednesday lunchtime.
St Austell was supposed to be on, but the barperson told me it was "resting"
So I elected to have a pint of Brixton Brewery Coldharbour Lager.
£6.85 - I nearly had a heart attack.
Good job their air conditioning was first rate - waiting for the ambulance would have been quite comfortable.
I was in here earlier, and to be honest it didn't seem too excessive. A pint of Heineken was £5.25, and I think an Amstel slightly under a fiver

A 'reviewer' that only gives positive reviews is not a reviewer. Especially on fucking Instagram. It's just another wannabe freeloading 'influencer.'

Yes the style is fucking awful.

I can’t believe anyone gives away freebies for such obvious essentially fake reviews.

Last edited:
I was in here earlier, and to be honest it didn't seem too excessive. A pint of Heineken was £5.25, and I think an Amstel slightly under a fiver
Try the Cambria will you? Bet it's the same story there - both now Heineken pubs.
Your reaction to the price suggests you are not ur-Brixton.

Try the Cambria will you? Bet it's the same story there - both now Heineken pubs.
Your reaction to the price suggests you are not ur-Brixton.
I suspect The Cambria will be even more expensive, I've seen their food menu and it's all 'pan fried' and 'market sourced' utter bullshit, probably not a pub aimed towards drinkers so those spending £15 on a plate of fish and hips probably won't mind spending £6.30 on a pint of Moretti.

Reactions: CH1
I suspect The Cambria will be even more expensive, I've seen their food menu and it's all 'pan fried' and 'market sourced' utter bullshit, probably not a pub aimed towards drinkers so those spending £15 on a plate of fish and hips probably won't mind spending £6.30 on a pint of Moretti.
I'm really glad it's open but it looks unlikely to be the kind of 'pub' I'd want to frequent.

Attachments

• C8B7472E-13EB-4892-9353-CE8CD578C8D9.jpeg
    C8B7472E-13EB-4892-9353-CE8CD578C8D9.jpeg
    49.5 KB · Views: 9
  • 9EB79A2A-0B7B-4565-B04C-74DC168E4E13.jpeg
    9EB79A2A-0B7B-4565-B04C-74DC168E4E13.jpeg
    111.1 KB · Views: 9
  • BEEF9535-DD75-4124-9F24-7933C3BEB0F9.jpeg
    BEEF9535-DD75-4124-9F24-7933C3BEB0F9.jpeg
    69.5 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
I assume that, the steak aside, these are all the ever fantastic value 'small plates'? And that one really ought to order at least 3 each in order to get the full 'experience'?
Even Tesco ready meals come as "side"s and "main"s these days.
I suppose if you go to Iceland you can have the same thing with poncy 3 3.5 4 pricing too.
If Iceland think THEIR customers don't understand pence, what does that say about most Brixton bars these days?

Well yes - if you'd come in 1982 for example you could have bought a 6 bedroom house in Saltoun Road for £25,000.
Mind you a salary of £10,000 pa to get the mortgage might have been an issue at that time.
I bought in 1984, very near Saltoun Road. Price: £42k. Salary: £13k. First time buyer. Getting a mortgage from the Nationwide was a doddle.

Now, houses on my street cost £1.5M. So you would need a salary of around £400k to do the same today, which is within top 0.1% of earners.

It's a bizarre state of affairs.

So, the Albert is now back operating as usual with a temp manager until a full time female manager takes over in a month or two.

The previous manager left - and vacated the flat upstairs - almost overnight last week, leading to the pub being closed last Thurs/Fri. He didn't give any notice so it seems a highly unusual move.

I hope the new manager can finally get this pub back to what it was because it's been shit for ages. It doesn't seem that hard a job to me: upgrade the shockingly shit PA and get in DJs/live acts that have some relevance to the clientele and don't lead to an empty dancefloor.

I think more is needed than giving you DJ work. ;)

It could also do with: Cushioned seating, get rid of all the graffiti, serve decent food. At least one decent real ale. A happy hour every day. Bring back three shots for a fiver.

I think more is needed than giving you DJ work. ;)

It could also do with: Cushioned seating, get rid of all the graffiti, serve decent food. At least one decent real ale. A happy hour every day. Bring back three shots for a fiver.
Truth is, I've had no interest in playing there for some time now, but some of the DJs they had were actively clearing the place out or creating bad vibes.

Playing really loud drum and bass to a totally empty dancefloor should tell the DJ to change the fucking music.

I've been there some nights when the few people remaining had all positioned themselves as far away as possible near the back garden door just so they hear each other speak.

And piping the music into the back garden was a shit move too, leaving you nowhere to go to escape the shit music.

But the style of music can really alter the vibe of a place, and turn it from fun and welcoming into something that's unappealing.

I do know how to put on hugely popular nights there, but I've no interest in going back while that fucking ridiculous DJ booth is still taking up a ton of floorspace and the PA system sounds like a sack of shit.

But yes, the shit graffiti should go and even basic heated up snacks would be better than no food at all. I'd love the three shots for a fiver deal to come back too, but I don't think that's ever going to happen, sadly.

Has Max Cafe the Portuguese place in Brixton Station Road closed down? I couldn't see it yesterday. No sign board, nothing.

Weird experience yesterday at the grosvenor when I popped in for a couple of scoops at the end of a long hot day
only to be told the entire pub was shut for a private function, balloons were in evidence....
I get why a pub might do this at a quiet time of the year guaranteeing a minimum bar take of £2k over the bar
but also a bit miffed that money talks and can make a public house into a exclusive space....shame the new version doesn’t still have a function room and hopefully it don’t become a regular thing.

crown and anchor was heaving outside and noisy so it was the offfy for me 😟

The Alberts new manager bans bringing food in. Not that they are serving food. New policy, no food, no weed, no hospitality. Fab.
You can't blame a pub for having an official 'no weed' policy unless you really want the place to be shut down permanently.

But on every score the manager is, apparently an out-of-town disaster. But at least he's only temporary.

Back
Top Bottom