Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Brixton food & drink news: new restaurants, bars, pop ups, cafes and more

My biggest complaint when the refurb happened was that they put in a lot of tiling, which made the sound of the pub very different. No longer a warm burbling hubbub, the sound of the chatter was much sharper and as the evening progressed everyone was obliged to raise their voices til we were shouting at each other.

It’s one of my big bugbears about indoor public spaces and sometimes I’ve decided not to stay somewhere if the acoustics are uncomfortable. It seems really stupid to me that this kind of thing isn't taken into account when places are updated, not least because it makes the working environment for staff so much more stressful.
I think it's less the tiling - which is really just a couple of panels behind the bar - than the removal of the other more absorbent materials. The carpet and vinyl flooring, curtains, seat cushions, etc would all have helped deaden reverberations. They've also replaced the wallpaper in the main bar with T&G timber up to picture rail height. Intuitively it seems as though that would help absorb noise, but an acoustic engineer might say differently.

Back in the old days there was often a TV squawking away and a fruit machine beeping and jangling, but at least that sound was episodic and relatively localised.

I think it's less the tiling - which is really just a couple of panels behind the bar - than the removal of the other more absorbent materials. The carpet and vinyl flooring, curtains, seat cushions, etc would all have helped deaden reverberations. They've also replaced the wallpaper in the main bar with T&G timber up to picture rail height. Intuitively it seems as though that would help absorb noise, but an acoustic engineer might say differently.

Back in the old days there was often a TV squawking away and a fruit machine beeping and jangling, but at least that sound was episodic and relatively localised.

Well yeah all of it, but that flat wall of hard reflective surface behind the bar probably made everything worse. Even if they hadn’t made all the other changes (floor, soft furnishings etc) I think those tiles would’ve made things noticeably worse, if for no other reason then because they got rid of the shelves and optics. Even shelves full of glass bottles wouldn’t bounce the sound back quite so directly.

I’m not disagreeing with you, all the changes made the acoustics bloody awful; but whether it’s in the EPT or anywhere else, a flat wall of reflective tiles is going to make the acoustics more like a public baths and less like a cosy living room.

Leon was founded by Henry Dimbleby but was sold last year to the Issa brothers EG Group, which also owns Asda, thousands of petrol forecourts around Europe and the US and is the largest KFC franchisee in the UK. So, no longer a fast growing independent chain.

Leon was founded by Henry Dimbleby but was sold last year to the Issa brothers EG Group, which also owns Asda, thousands of petrol forecourts around Europe and the US and is the largest KFC franchisee in the UK. So, no longer a fast growing independent chain.
The mysteries of capitalism:

EG Group's acquisitions have been largely funded by debt, with a net debt of over £7.3 billion at the end of 2019

The mysteries of capitalism:
It hardly matters about Henry Dimbleby's views on Brexit, since he sold Leon to EG group more than a year ago.

EG group is owned by brothers Mohsin and Zuber Issa, and is one of the largest private companies in the UK; it's rather interesting. I think it is a disaster waiting to happen, fuelled as it is by mountains of junk bonds. EG owns Asda (bought from Walmart for £6.8Bn), thousands of petrol stations, convenience stores and fast food outlets.

The brothers are backed by TDR, a private equity company in Mayfair, which uses pretty arcane financial engineering arrangements to juice returns. Neither the brothers nor TDR have any experience running a business as complex and large as Asda. Other straws in the wind: Deloitte resigned as EG's auditor after the Asda deal, because of concerns over its governance and internal control; delayed accounts; downgrading of debt by ratings agencies.

EG Group doesn't get much publicity, because as a private company it's of no interest to investors, and the Issa brothers are publicity-shy, running a tight-knit family business writ large.

The setup reminds me of the junk-fueled M&A boom of the 80s, and I suspect it will end in tears, in the same way.

Where are the best pizzas these days (delivery)? I'm not a great pizza fan but my son is and it's his chice. The last time he directed me to Four Hundred Rabbits but I thought it was pretty average.

Where are the best pizzas these days (delivery)? I'm not a great pizza fan but my son is and it's his chice. The last time he directed me to Four Hundred Rabbits but I thought it was pretty average.
In my limited experience, delivered pizza always tastes miles worse than eating in the restaurant, but this lot are pretty good

I used to really like Mama Dough but the quality seemed to go down over time. Maybe it's picked up.

Does anyone know, on the off chance, are there any pubs in Brixton that show the GAA? I'd like to watch the Derry match on Saturday early evening. Im thinking maybe the Alex by Clapham Common would be the closest bet?
Did you find anywhere in the end? Interested for future reference

Quick q: we're in Brixton this evening, how much chance is there that we can get a table at a restaurant around 5pm, or does everything get booked weeks in advance?

Back
Top Bottom