Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Brixton food & drink news: new restaurants, bars, pop ups, cafes and more

...there are reggae nights at other places around town, why does the Albert warrant the above comment ?
Can you not remember what happened the last time the 414 next door put on a widely advertised reggae night?

And the other places putting on reggae nights come with shitloads of security/ID checks, door charges etc.

Anyway I hope my fears aren't realised.

Can you not remember what happened the last time the 414 next door put on a widely advertised reggae night?

....only vaguely if you are referring to what I think you are, Buzz covered events though....

Anyway I hope my fears aren't realised.

.....likewise.

....only vaguely if you are referring to what I think you are, Buzz covered events though....

.....likewise.
Happy to report that the event went without trouble. Sadly it was mainly without people too and the DJs kept the dancefloor clear :/

Happy to report that the event went without trouble. Sadly it was mainly without people too and the DJs kept the dancefloor clear :/

thank you for this update, although I didn’t buy into your dire prediction of trouble ( based on a ‘one off incident’ that took place nearly a decade ago and to quote B.Buzz was a “private event” and so most likely not even “widely publicised’ ) good though that you spent the full duration of the event in what you thought might be a potentially unruly space so you could comment on lack of people and dance floor action.....

thank you for this update, although I didn’t buy into your dire prediction of trouble ( based on a ‘one off incident’ that took place nearly a decade ago and to quote B.Buzz was a “private event” and so most likely not even “widely publicised’ ) good though that you spent the full duration of the event in what you thought might be a potentially unruly space so you could comment on lack of people and dance floor action.....
It's not based on a one off event. It's based on years of problematic events at multiple venues around Brixton. And I've no idea why you're padding out your post with fabricated nonsense about how long I was there or the reasons for my attending, but it was disappointing to see the Albert so quiet with DJs once again self indulgently ignoring the crowd.

Perhaps that doesn't bother you or you're just trying to make some rubbish point. Whatevs.

No more smoking weed in the Albert garden. Council and licensing committee are on the warpath. No reason to go in there now. Boo

No more smoking weed in the Albert garden. Council and licensing committee are on the warpath. No reason to go in there now. Boo
How much more licensed can the premises in the area be? Opening hours have slowly been eroded away over the years so that there is nothing open after 3am in Brixton town centre even on a weekend, several if not most pubs/clubs you have to scan a valid I.D just to enter, 24/7 off licenses are almost a thing of the past, and if you get caught having a cheeky toke or toot these days and you are likely to be hauled out venues and put on a banned list.

How much more licensed can the premises in the area be? Opening hours have slowly been eroded away over the years so that there is nothing open after 3am in Brixton town centre even on a weekend, several if not most pubs/clubs you have to scan a valid I.D just to enter, 24/7 off licenses are almost a thing of the past, and if you get caught having a cheeky toke or toot these days and you are likely to be hauled out venues and put on a banned list.
The hospitality in the Albert has been rizla thin for a while now. Add in a no weed policy and what is the point of the place? The punters who make the pub what it is won't come.

It's positively embarrassing meeting people who ask me if there's anywhere decent open after midnight from Mon-Weds in central Brixton. The best I can come up with is to advise them to get a cab to the Old Dispensary in Camberwell.

The Taproom in Brixton Village has closed. It looked abandoned a few days back and I walked past again today and looked the same so found their website, which confirmed.

Shame, I liked their selection of NZ beer on tap.

Anyone checked out the new Mikos venue in the arches. They seem to have done alright for themselves setting up on acre lane originally and now seem to have a few venues around south London.

Anyone checked out the new Mikos venue in the arches. They seem to have done alright for themselves setting up on acre lane originally and now seem to have a few venues around south London.
They were very good when they first started out on Acre Lane, excellent and affordable genuine Souvlaki. They then rapidly expanded (got greedy) and ditched what they were good at to be a doner type gyros place that has hoardes of crash hemlemtted app drivers outside their premises to make as much money as possible. Have they moved their Brixton operation away from Coldharbour Lane now?

They were very good when they first started out on Acre Lane, excellent and affordable genuine Souvlaki. They then rapidly expanded (got greedy) and ditched what they were good at to be a doner type gyros place that has hoardes of crash hemlemtted app drivers outside their premises to make as much money as possible. Have they moved their Brixton operation away from Coldharbour Lane now?

Yeah I really liked them when they were on Acre Lane. Nice vibe in the premises too.

But Coldharbour felt different, more in and out. Maybe different staff too

Seems to be a fair bit of a change in the market these days, to me feels like mainly things closing down and nothing of great interest opening. Sarap / Salon / Tap Room spring to mind as recently closing and the new places Le Bab and Wings something (don't remember the name) seem to have stalled and yet to open. Is this new owners making poor changes or just a general change?

Yes it does feel like that.

Certainly not a time to have high rent, during labour shortages, booze/food/electricity/gas prices going up so regularly.

A cafe I go to told me their dairy supplier has raised prices 2x in one month about two months ago so this stuff must be hitting hospitality as badly as households

Look at these fucking hipster wankers

A London pub is selling what is believed to be Britain’s most expensive beer at an eye-watering equivalent of £80.15p a pint.
The Craft Beer Co chain has the imported American craft ale on sale in Brixton, south London, at £105 for a 75ml bottle.

Reforged 20th Anniversary Ale is made by the AleSmith Brewing Company, an “artisanal” microbrewery in San Diego, California.

The Brixton pub’s next most expensive tipple is another American ale called the “Brewery Out of the Lunch Box”, which is cheap by comparison at just £45 for a 750ml bottle.
Mr Barton added: “We like to highlight the different breweries around the world and selling these sorts of beers has given people the opportunity to try things they would never have tried before.
“People will have heard about a beer on the internet or social media and they come to us to get the chance to try it.

“We campaign for small craft breweries and we try to help them by buying them. We understand the cost of living at the moment is very expensive.
“With the beers we have on tap, we try to make craft beer very accessible and we try to be cheaper than other pubs nearby – we sell one IPA for £6.50 when they sell it for more than £7.
“It is not all about charging people these crazy prices. We charge what we charge because the cost of a keg is very expensive.
“We could raise our prices further, but we want to make this accessible for people.”

I really don't think they should try to crow about being cheaper than pubs nearby. There is a bar next door, and several others in the same street selling a beer crafted and flown all the way from Portugal called Super Bock and cost under £4 last time i checked.

It’s 50 quid a bottle online Reforged XX - AleSmith Brewing Company @ Beer Republic | Beerizer.

Are you trying to whip up outrage that expensive things are on sale in Brixton again ?

Alex
I'm not outraged in the slightest. Just saddened that these things exist.

I really don't think they should try to crow about being cheaper than pubs nearby. There is a bar next door, and several others in the same street selling a beer crafted and flown all the way from Portugal called Super Bock and cost under £4 last time i checked.
And those bars are miles better too.

Back
Top Bottom