Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Brixton food & drink news: new restaurants, bars, pop ups, cafes and more

There are quite a lot of reasons why Peckhamplex is a fiver to be fair...
I rarely go to the cinema but when I do, it will be to Peckham Plex due to their fair pricing. Is there anything particularly wrong with it? Its got a big screen, speakers, seats and shows all the latest films, doesn't it?

There are quite a lot of reasons why Peckhamplex is a fiver to be fair...
Do you think the Ritzy is 300% better then?

I found it perfectly adequate for watching a movie. The sound and picture was fine and the seats comfy enough. And most importantly of all, it was affordable to the local community.

Membership is good value - especially the joint membership for 2 people. 8 tickets at the equivalent of £13 each. Plus discounts off any more you buy and 10% (20% after the first year) off food and drink. Buy a day of travel insurance each year from compare the market to get 2 for 1 tickets on Tuesdays and Wednesdays. Use a free ticket for your paid ticket.

A friend of mine had an idea to have some pre drinks in the Ritzy bar before going to a gig at The Electric, she was in possession of some sort of membership card therefore entitled to a discount on drinks. Unfortunately no discount was worth trying to get in the mood for a gig by sitting in what felt like a bright canteen like room with people drinking coffee and staring at laptops (this was 8 o clock at night).

A friend of mine had an idea to have some pre drinks in the Ritzy bar before going to a gig at The Electric, she was in possession of some sort of membership card therefore entitled to a discount on drinks. Unfortunately no discount was worth trying to get in the mood for a gig by sitting in what felt like a bright canteen like room with people drinking coffee and staring at laptops (this was 8 o clock at night).
Quite - my friend went there for a romantic anniversary meal and was terribly disappointed too.

I'd rather have an affordable cinema in Brixton thanks, so people on my estate can enjoy watching films too.
respectfully, you keep making this argument and it's a silly one - not everything can only be aimed at poor people. you're basically saying only cheap things can exist because some poor people live in the area. surely thinking that through you realise that doesn't make sense. whether you like it or not, there are lots of people in Brixton who have some disposable income which they are allowed to spend. we're not talking disgusting excess, it's just a bit of a nicer cinema so it charges more!

respectfully, you keep making this argument and it's a silly one - not everything can only be aimed at poor people. you're basically saying only cheap things can exist because some poor people live in the area. surely thinking that through you realise that doesn't make sense. whether you like it or not, there are lots of people in Brixton who have some disposable income which they are allowed to spend. we're not talking disgusting excess, it's just a bit of a nicer cinema so it charges more!
Why is it 'silly' to argue for a cinema that is not charging West End prices (or 300% more than one a couple of miles away) in an area that includes one of the most deprived wards in London?

so much agree with this

I don’t get the argument here...it’s well established that Peckham has a cut price cheapo cinema
if that’s your desire, and it’s well used by people from this neck of the woods being easily reached by bus bike or even on foot...the ritzy is what it is.. guess that’s partly down to it’s rep as an arty/alternative venue which caters to arty/alternative people which fits very well with the gentrification process as a whole.

Why is it 'silly' to argue for a cinema that is not charging West End prices (or 300% more than one a couple of miles away) in an area that includes one of the most deprived wards in London?

well by your logic, it also includes wards full of £million+ properties and some of the wealthiest people in the world, so I demand an incredibly expensive cinema! see? bit silly. best to have options for everyone (within reason, which I think Ritzy completely is).

how dare some people go out and spend money on expensive alcoholic drinks listening to a DJ - don't they know there are poor people here!

well by your logic, it also includes wards full of £million+ properties and some of the wealthiest people in the world, so I demand an incredibly expensive cinema!
I never realised quite how right wing this forum had drifted. There is a tiny minority of very rich people in Brixton and there is an overwhelming majority of less well off people. I guess you subscribe to Thatcher's view on society, yes?
how dare some people go out and spend money on expensive alcoholic drinks listening to a DJ - don't they know there are poor people here!
Oh, I see you're trying to make it personal now. FYI: my nights are always absolutely free to get in, the drinks are nowhere near as expensive as most other late night venues and, of course, you're not forced to spend a penny there if you just want to dance the night away. But awesome argument dude.

no I wasn't... I was arguing against the idea that the Ritzy shouldn't exist as it does in Brixton. you were the one starting an argument. I said I was happy both exist.

no I wasn't... I was arguing against the idea that the Ritzy shouldn't exist as it does in Brixton. you were the one starting an argument. I said I was happy both exist.
as am I, both appeal to different demographics, everyones happy

Wouldn't you be happier if the Ritzy was more affordable for everyone, or do you like places that usually price out the riff raff?

Albert full of drunk cops last night. Properly on the piss. The loo awash with chang.
Someone is doing a big reggae night on the weekend at the Albert. They've advertised it all over Brixton. I hope they get in decent security for the night.

Back
Top Bottom