Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Brixton food & drink news: new restaurants, bars, pop ups, cafes and more

call me a pedant but...“this treasured pub is ready and eager to claim its rightful place back at the heart of Denmark Hill’s bustling community”..... is a bit weird, I would’ve put The Cambria closer to Loughborough Junction
Surely the rightful description of the Cambria's location is "Ruskin Park"?
The only bustling being done on their part of Denmark Hill will be in the Fox on the Hill - presumably not the expected class of client.

More booze in the Villaaaage

beetlejuice-03.jpg

beetle.jpg

I walked through Tooting Market the other week for the first time in a couple of years and it's now almost entirely restaurants and hip bars. It almost looks more so than Brixton but that may just be because the alleyways between the outlets are a bit smaller and it feels a bit more crowded

I walked through Tooting Market the other week for the first time in a couple of years and it's now almost entirely restaurants and hip bars. It almost looks more so than Brixton but that may just be because the alleyways between the outlets are a bit smaller and it feels a bit more crowded
I have some friends who live in Tooting and going there one Friday evening recently it felt like 1 big giant pub almost.

Most of the bars in Tooting were decent value though, which is probably different to places like the above in Brixton with a cool camper van driven into it.

I have some friends who live in Tooting and going there one Friday evening recently it felt like 1 big giant pub almost.

Most of the bars in Tooting were decent value though, which is probably different to places like the above in Brixton with a cool camper van driven into it.

Sadly I was in a hurry so didn't have to sample or check prices

Looks like more cheap meat and wings for Brixton in market house....wing Wednesday sounds good though. Thankfully drinks seem a bit more reasonable price this time round

Last edited:
So I finally got to visit The Swan in Stockwell and it was actually quite good fun. Never knew it was open so late too.

swan-stockwell-02.jpg

swan-stockwell-13.jpg

The tiles in Stockwell station depict a swan, in reference to the pub. I think it was the most notable local landmark.

Stockwell Swan.jpg

So I finally got to visit The Swan in Stockwell and it was actually quite good fun. Never knew it was open so late too.

swan-stockwell-02.jpg

swan-stockwell-13.jpg

I used to go there in the mid 80's looks like the only thing that probably hasn't changed is we were given sausage and chips or something on enry to get around the licensing laws 😂😂

I used to go there in the mid 80's looks like the only thing that probably hasn't changed is we were given sausage and chips or something on enry to get around the licensing laws 😂😂
I liked it. It was unpretentious, the booze was cheap enough, no one was trying to be fashionable, the music was fun and people were into a good time, and it reminded me of the clubs I used to go in Cardiff. Despite all the Irish branding it appears to be staffed entirely by Polish people, some of whom were spectacularly grumpy!

Same here. I believe the owners also owned The Venue, New Cross.
Seem to recall they laid on transport from The Swan to The Venue....or was it Belgium...

Yes they used serve them upstairs on a dumb waiter-you used to get a"free supper" ticket when you paid to get in there

I liked it. It was unpretentious, the booze was cheap enough, no one was trying to be fashionable, the music was fun and people were into a good time, and it reminded me of the clubs I used to go in Cardiff. Despite all the Irish branding it appears to be staffed entirely by Polish people, some of whom were spectacularly grumpy!
Pretty sure it was mostly Irish staff when I used to go. It did get a bit mental in there 🤣🤣

Pretty sure it was mostly Irish staff when I used to go. It did get a bit mental in there 🤣🤣
Yes could be a problem getting in there back in the day they would only allow you in if you were wearing a shirt with a collar a polo shirt was fine but they wouldn't let you in if you were wearing a t-shirt

I've always looked upon the Swan as a bit of peculiarity. In theory, i should like it- i have Irish roots and am fond of a cheap pint and late night. I've never really seriously thought about going there though, neither has anyone i know. I cant see that changing any time soon.

Its quite unusual for what sounds like a cheese club to stay open until 6am. Are the toilet cubicles particularly busy with folk who sound like they have a cold, or something?

Back
Top Bottom