Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Brixton food & drink news: new restaurants, bars, pop ups, cafes and more

I've always looked upon the Swan as a bit of peculiarity. In theory, i should like it- i have Irish roots and am fond of a cheap pint and late night. I've never really seriously thought about going there though, neither has anyone i know. I cant see that changing any time soon.

Its quite unusual for what sounds like a cheese club to stay open until 6am. Are the toilet cubicles particularly busy with folk who sound like they have a cold, or something?
Never underestimate the ability of Irish and Australians to drink heavily right through the night even without chemical assistance. I lived with a couple of Irish guys in the 90's.

Yes could be a problem getting in there back in the day they would only allow you in if you were wearing a shirt with a collar a polo shirt was fine but they wouldn't let you in if you were wearing a t-shirt
I'd forgotten that! I lived nearby at the time and would give mates a key to go back and help themselves to "appropriate attire".

I've always looked upon the Swan as a bit of peculiarity. In theory, i should like it- i have Irish roots and am fond of a cheap pint and late night. I've never really seriously thought about going there though, neither has anyone i know. I cant see that changing any time soon.

Its quite unusual for what sounds like a cheese club to stay open until 6am. Are the toilet cubicles particularly busy with folk who sound like they have a cold, or something?
Loads of the old Irish bars around Brixton used to have lock ins that would last through the night, and they weren't always full of coked up types. I dare say that there's some folks doing 'excitables' at the Swan- just like every other bar around town - but it was a much friendlier and happier crowd than most venues I've been to late at night, and it felt more boozy than druggy.

Worse, students from all the surrounding student accommodations.

haven't been there in years. used to be cheesy and full of students/young poshos, a bit like Infernos in Clapham. my idea of a nightmare!

I used to go in for a daytime drink, handy for tube, my french friend liked that, didn’t really use the club but saw the wolfetones there, one gig I will never forget, dress restrictions were relaxed...most peeps were wearing footie shirts.

There is a newish Indian restaurant, the Great Indian Kitchen, on Tulse Hill in that row of shops near Brixton Water Lane. I tried it out with a friend on Thursday. It was not bad. Most importantly they do dosas.

I think it must have been a coffee shop in its previous incarnation and they haven't redecorated - that's what it looks like anyway.

If I was going again I'd ask them to recommend us things off the menu - I suspect that some of the less familiar things are what they do best.

The Prince of Wales upstairs is doing phenomenal business at the moment - there were huge queues outside last night and this afternoon.

The Prince of Wales upstairs is doing phenomenal business at the moment - there were huge queues outside last night and this afternoon.
I noticed the queues from the bus at 4.30 this afternoon. What’s so good that you have to endure queues and pat downs at that time of day?

The POW events are rarely to my taste but honestly, the older I get, the more I think day time clubbing is the way forward. Drink, dance and still in bed by midnight? Has an appeal.
Agreed. Daytime dancing is the best for us oldies. But POW always looks shit.

The POW events are rarely to my taste but honestly, the older I get, the more I think day time clubbing is the way forward. Drink, dance and still in bed by midnight? Has an appeal.
To endure long queues, ID scanning, and pat downs at the door, I've got to really want to see something, and there's nothing at the PoW that appeals that much to me.

They seem to be focusing on 'disco' events these days, which sounds a little boring. Particularly given the draconian entrance policies. Having worked there about 5 years ago, its a well run establishment that knows how to generate plenty of income. The only good thing going for the place (in the pub bit anyway) was the Thursday night jazz night which they seem to have got rid of, which is a shame.

Time Out says Chishuru in Market Row is London's best restaurant.

Oh... and incidentally, it appears that the Ritzy is London's best cinema.

Mondays are considerably cheaper than other days: £7.90 for an adult
I would often go to The Ritzy or Clapham Picture House on a Monday.
Cost around a tenner.
Where are these £7.90 tickets?
I can't find them on their site.
This Bank Holiday are costing nearly £17
£14.40 normal Monday after....

I would often go to The Ritzy or Clapham Picture House on a Monday.
Cost around a tenner.
Where are these £7.90 tickets?
I can't find them on their site.
This Bank Holiday are costing nearly £17
£14.40 normal Monday after....

Not sure that is up to date price wise.
I will try to book something for Monday 25th of this month.
Will be pleasantly surprised if they have reduced prices...
Hopefully this is the case

Not exactly "fat profits" at the moment. Due to Covid, the Picturehouse group (15 cinemas across the UK) made an operating loss of £31.2m in 2020 (of which the Ritzy was £2.1m) and probably not in profit last year either. In 2019, the last "normal" year, the operating margin of the group was 4.7%, which does not seem excessive. If anyone is interested the legal name of the Ritzy is CS (Brixton) Ltd.

Under a fiver for a student. That’s a great deal!
Why it's almost as good as the Peckhamplex where all films are £4.99 for everyone, all ages, every day.
Regular Ritzy tickets for adults are three times as much. What a deal!

The Ritzy's rates for retired folks are fucking stingy too: just a quid off. How many pensioners can afford £13.80 to see a film?
Oh, and the regular student rate is also £13.80. You probably think that's great too.

1649790098402.png

Not exactly "fat profits" at the moment. Due to Covid, the Picturehouse group (15 cinemas across the UK) made an operating loss of £31.2m in 2020 (of which the Ritzy was £2.1m) and probably not in profit last year either. In 2019, the last "normal" year, the operating margin of the group was 4.7%, which does not seem excessive. If anyone is interested the legal name of the Ritzy is CS (Brixton) Ltd.
Well the boss did OK out of it. Six years ago he was paid £550,000 and "financial number crunchers at Bloomberg calculated his total package from various enterprises is £1.2million" - and things seem to be looking up now

Why it's almost as good as the Peckhamplex where all films are £4.99 for everyone, all ages, every day.
Regular Ritzy tickets for adults are three times as much. What a deal!

The Ritzy's rates for retired folks are fucking stingy too: just a quid off. How many pensioners can afford £13.80 to see a film?
Oh, and the regular student rate is also £13.80. You probably think that's great too.

View attachment 318269
And t
No I think it’s a good deal on a Monday for under a fiver. Sorry didn’t I make myself clear?

Back
Top Bottom