Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Brixton food & drink news: new restaurants, bars, pop ups, cafes and more

You'lll need to walk past quite a few places to get to said theatre if you're coming in by tube.
Either from top of Coldharbour or Atlantic road.
Some decent marketing and I can't see it being that difficult to get a pre-theatre crowd in for drinks or a two course meal for placees other than the Laundry. Yes - you won't get a much better location granted, but the options are bland and over priced. But with a little research before your trip you can certainly find better.
I expect somewhere like Nanban (just as an example) to do well when BH opens.
the food at nanban was horribly disappointing to me, went for the first time a couple of weeks ago.

You'lll need to walk past quite a few places to get to said theatre if you're coming in by tube.
Either from top of Coldharbour or Atlantic road.
Some decent marketing and I can't see it being that difficult to get a pre-theatre crowd in for drinks or a two course meal for placees other than the Laundry. Yes - you won't get a much better location granted, but the options are bland and over priced. But with a little research before your trip you can certainly find better.
I expect somewhere like Nanban (just as an example) to do well when BH opens.
I imagine there'll be modest benefits for many businesses but The Laundry are clearly best suited to bag one of the biggest shares of the crowd.

After all, it's perfectly sited as place to meet before a play - jump out of a cab and it's right there - and the perfect place for apres-theatre drinks and food.

I don't think there's going to be quite the massive Brixton-wide upturn in trade across town from this one venue as you seem to be suggesting though.

I imagine there'll be modest benefits for many businesses but The Laundry are clearly best suited to bag one of the biggest shares of the crowd.

After all, it's perfectly sited as place to meet before a play - jump out of a cab and it's right there - and the perfect place for apres-theatre drinks and food.

I don;t think there's going to be quite the massive Brixton-wide upturn in trade across town from this one venue as you seem to be suggesting though.
Jump out of a cab - its not the west end. I'd hazard a guess that the majority of people coming to a 200 seater fringe type venue aren't taking cabs.
Yes as I said location wise it can't be beaten but people google places to eat etc when they go out to a place/venue they aren't familiar with, so with a good SEO presence a local venue other than laundry could do well.
I am not suggesting 'massive' or anything like that so please DON'T misquote me.
What I am saying is that if the demographic that came to Oval (when the theatre was there) follow it to Brixton, they will want somewhere a little more interesting than the Laundry.

Jump out of a cab - its not the west end. I'd hazard a guess that the majority of people coming to a 200 seater fringe type venue aren't taking cabs.
Given the large amount of people who arrive into Brixton by Uber/cab every weekend, I see no reason to assume that a significant amount of people won't be doing the same for the theatre.

what was the theatre in oval like in terms of the stuff it put on? Generally good, mixed bag, or was it mostly "community theatre" type stuff? As someone who very much enjoys going to see plays but does not enjoy the associated price tag, very excited to have a local theatre with stuff on.

what was the theatre in oval like in terms of the stuff it put on? Generally good, mixed bag, or was it mostly "community theatre" type stuff? As someone who very much enjoys going to see plays but does not enjoy the associated price tag, very excited to have a local theatre with stuff on.
It's going to be a very different proposition to the Oval House theatre though. I went there a few times and liked it.

what makes you say that?
It's now in the centre of Brixton, it's coming in with a blaze of backing and publicity and it's many times the size of its previous incarnation and comes with the ambition of being a 'cultural hub for social entertainment and artistic inspiration.'

the food at nanban was horribly disappointing to me, went for the first time a couple of weeks ago.

...gotta say I was forced to rethink my bad opinion of nanban when I went recently
service was quick, food was tasty and hot, it wasn’t over busy tho, can’t comment on price cos someone else paid.

...gotta say I was forced to rethink my bad opinion of nanban when I went recently
service was quick, food was tasty and hot, it wasn’t over busy tho, can’t comment on price cos someone else paid.
i haven't tried the ramen there yet (and i will get around to it) - I know that's one of their specialties so maybe I'm not giving them a fair shake. I am absolutely obsessed with noodles though (with pretty high standards as an immigrant from East Asia) so I don't expect to be blown away there.

As for everything else - the fried chicken was pretty good, but everything else was just a bit uninspired and bland. I know place has been around for ages, so maybe it's lost "the spark" or something.

i haven't tried the ramen there yet (and i will get around to it) - I know that's one of their specialties so maybe I'm not giving them a fair shake. I am absolutely obsessed with noodles though (with pretty high standards as an immigrant from East Asia) so I don't expect to be blown away there.

As for everything else - the fried chicken was pretty good, but everything else was just a bit uninspired and bland. I know place has been around for ages, so maybe it's lost "the spark" or something.

...I had a pork ramen as my main, the pork broth was deep flavoured but not spicy in the least well tasty...the people I was with couldn’t finish their scotch bonnet powered ramen cos of the heat scotch bonnet is great but half a pint of rocket fuel not so much. Fried chicken was nice tho, I’m not a noodle connoisseur by any means and my only previous visit was beyond awful.

Me too. Not impressed first couple of times. But discovered the leopard something or other and changed my mind!

Karakana - The people at eatinbrixton.com liked it and found the food not particularly expensive - less than £20 per head.

See Karakana

It's when you get into the cocktails it gets a lot pricier
Just walked past and it was completely empty.
It seems mad for them to not be at least running club nights upstairs (which was the original intention).

It's now in the centre of Brixton, it's coming in with a blaze of backing and publicity and it's many times the size of its previous incarnation and comes with the ambition of being a 'cultural hub for social entertainment and artistic inspiration.'
I used to go to Oval House fairly regularly. They have always championed experimental work and new writing, especially from the more marginalised parts of society. It’s not a pretentious place - exactly the opposite, in fact.

From what I have read about their new Brixton House, they are aiming for as strong a community focus as ever. The main auditorium will seat 200 - the same as their old place. The studio will hold 120. Their old upstairs space sat 70. I hope (and expect) them to be much the same organisation they have always been - albeit one that at last has purpose-built facilities. The name change is a logical consequence of their new location.

The similarly excellent Southwark Playhouse has moved home a couple of times in the past decade, without at all changing who they are or what they stand for. Like Oval House, they’re fundraising for a permanent home.

It's a new opening - what do you expect - just to meekly open it's door and say - here we are???? lol.
I hope and expect the artistic programming and it's core objectives stay the same as the excellent previous re-incarnation. DESPITE whatever its new size is.
To continue our previous discussion most will come to via the tube. Passing many better, more interesting and cheaper places to eat than the Laundry. Which I hope they use.

Ed - will you go? Not as a rep of this site, but as someone who lives in the area?

It's a new opening - what do you expect - just to meekly open it's door and say - here we are???? lol.
I hope and expect the artistic programming and it's core objectives stay the same as the excellent previous re-incarnation. DESPITE whatever its new size is.
To continue our previous discussion most will come to via the tube. Passing many better, more interesting and cheaper places to eat than the Laundry. Which I hope they use.

Ed - will you go? Not as a rep of this site, but as someone who lives in the area?
Of course I'll go. I've supported Oval House in the past and will be happy to support their new venture too.

Given the large amount of people who arrive into Brixton by Uber/cab every weekend, I see no reason to assume that a significant amount of people won't be doing the same for the theatre.
I dont understand why so many people in their 20s and 30s, friends of mine included, get 'Ubers' everywhere, even though we have one of the best transport systems in the world that runs 24 hours a day. It seems like a big waste of money to get a £20 taxi when a nightbus costs £1.55 and is normally far more entertaining.

I dont understand why so many people in their 20s and 30s, friends of mine included, get 'Ubers' everywhere, even though we have one of the best transport systems in the world that runs 24 hours a day. It seems like a big waste of money to get a £20 taxi when a nightbus costs £1.55 and is normally far more entertaining.
I totally understand why some women will choose to avoid public transport at night though.

The root problem here is you consider constantly whining about prices conversation
Then put me on ignore and keep your snarky comments to yourself. Problem solved.

And then I'll continue to do what this thread was set up for: to discuss new bars and restaurants opening up in Brixton. And that conversation includes commenting on the menu prices, whether you like it or not.

That was about right inc beer and service.
Be so much easier if you had just stated the price in the first place. I've still no idea how much it cost. Oh well.

Mind you, it is quite strange to see an outspoken poster like you being so coy and obtuse all of a sudden.

😂

Back
Top Bottom