Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Brixton food & drink news: new restaurants, bars, pop ups, cafes and more

Doesn't surprise me that majority of staff were students.

the covid meant a lot more than normal took year out last year, guess the new intake will be looking for work in time but first years will still be finding their feet...also Brexit may have had an impact.

The excitable, chatty young barman seems to have gone. A month or so ago he was asking me if I knew anyone who wanted a job. The female bouncer was telling me on Friday she was very much hoping for a nice quiet night so there was less work to be done and she could go home early, which seemed a bit counter productive.

...and yet our lass has just got some kind of part time work in hospitality and the pay is about £6 per hour ( not London)
...and yet our lass has just got some kind of part time work in hospitality and the pay is about £6 per hour ( not London)
How old is she? Minimum wage rates here. Check she’s not being paid too little.

How old is she? Minimum wage rates here. Check she’s not being paid too little.

thank you. its a bit of a worry to me, she spoke to her mum about it, it’s some kind of corporate hospitality gig economy thing sign up to an app and they let them know if works available so they can fit it round their studies and social life, but she told me getting work is not easy because there’s a lot of people looking for part time atm

( sorry for the deviation editor )

Last edited:
A pub account I follow on Twitter said the other day that it's really noticeable that a lot of venues that are quiet can't find staff. Just like the busy places. I think he was pointing out that it's a big struggle either way

The excitable, chatty young barman seems to have gone. A month or so ago he was asking me if I knew anyone who wanted a job. The female bouncer was telling me on Friday she was very much hoping for a nice quiet night so there was less work to be done and she could go home early, which seemed a bit counter productive.
The bouncer is doing a great job, mucking in and on Friday night stopped a regular attacking another. 9/10.

So as this is a thread on food whilst its fine to say three month waiting list and big bill out of reach of me and most in Coldharbour ward is ok. When I query this its going off topic.

Thats Imo part of the normalisation of this state of affairs.

It get reduced back to individual effort.
Hey,

Anyone know if the Effra Hall pub is open this Thursday and is the Jazz on?

Cheers

Back to Cafe Cairo - I meant to add that I wrote to them via their email and FB months ago and never got an answer and have just emailed them again. I hope they come back. Along with the 414 they're one of the very places left with an old school vibe in and around Brixton.
sad to say that Cafe Cairo is not coming back, not sure what he's going to do next but it won't be at that site

rumours abound that a certain rich twat is interested.

Well it would mean that he could extend the 414 for a super club. I haven't heard any such rumours though.

I had a good trawl through the pubs for sale sites and there’s no sign of The Albert which is a positive, but mention of the ‘lord of the manor‘ makes me wonder if an offer has been made ‘ under the table’ , I’ve seen this happen a few times.....:(

The Grosvenor arms now has a pool table, which I guess is a step in the right direction....

....juke box next please guys !

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom