Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Brixton coronavirus: local help, resources, business closures and news

editor
This is the local fundraiser for South London Hospitals (with a focus on Kings). If you need more info, please let me know. A set of scrubs needs 4.5m of material which costs wholesale about £10

THANKS A ZILLION!
Done and shared on social media!
Give me a shout if anything needs changing

Over the past few weeks we’ve been linking up people who need help with neighbours to help with things like shopping, picking up medication and other bits and bobs. Sometimes people don’t have cash to pay for things or online banking to transfer money, and we wanted to work out a system which would allow us to still help these people, and make sure that their neighbours aren’t out of pocket either!

So we’ve set up an account with Open Collective, a financial hosting platform. It means that people can donate to a pot of money which will be used to help support people who aren’t able to pay for shopping, or who need support with their bills. For the time being we will only be paying out expenses to requests completed through the Lambeth Mutual Aid Freephone number (0800 009 6504) so we can make sure that the expenses are going to the right places - but we will be looking to expand this service in the future to help as many people as possible!

If you are interested in donating - great! You can choose if you want to do a one off donation, or make your donation regular, and customise how much you want to give! if (for whatever reason) we end up not spending the remaining money, it will all be donated to Housing Action Southwark and Lambeth (HASL) and the UK QTIBIPOC Emergency relief & Hardship Fund. Check them both out. They’re ace!

You can check it out here! Lambeth Mutual Aid - Open Collective

If you’re interested in the expenses policy, you can check that out by clicking on ‘Submit Expense’. If you have any questions please send them over to lambethmutualaid@gmail.com

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have done a delivery today for someone who contacted Lambeth Mutual Aid. Its useful system for those who need help wih shopping etc.

David Clapson does the same in his area I believe.

Over the past few weeks we’ve been linking up people who need help with neighbours to help with things like shopping, picking up medication and other bits and bobs. Sometimes people don’t have cash to pay for things or online banking to transfer money, and we wanted to work out a system which would allow us to still help these people, and make sure that their neighbours aren’t out of pocket either!

So we’ve set up an account with Open Collective, a financial hosting platform. It means that people can donate to a pot of money which will be used to help support people who aren’t able to pay for shopping, or who need support with their bills. For the time being we will only be paying out expenses to requests completed through the Lambeth Mutual Aid Freephone number (0800 009 6504) so we can make sure that the expenses are going to the right places - but we will be looking to expand this service in the future to help as many people as possible!

If you are interested in donating - great! You can choose if you want to do a one off donation, or make your donation regular, and customise how much you want to give! if (for whatever reason) we end up not spending the remaining money, it will all be donated to Housing Action Southwark and Lambeth (HASL) and the UK QTIBIPOC Emergency relief & Hardship Fund. Check them both out. They’re ace!

You can check it out here! Lambeth Mutual Aid - Open Collective

If you’re interested in the expenses policy, you can check that out by clicking on ‘Submit Expense’. If you have any questions please send them over to lambethmutualaid@gmail.com

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have done a delivery today for someone who contacted Lambeth Mutual Aid. Its useful system for those who need help wih shopping etc.

David Clapson does the same in his area I believe.
Let me see if I can get summat on Buzz about this.

Lambeth parks update

Since there is now so little traffic on most roads, I believe it would help reduce the crowding in parks if jogging tracks were set up in our streets.
Joggers are mostly running on tarmac, so I reckon it should make little difference. Make the tracks one way, in streets wide enough to accommodate runners in the middle and pedestrians on the pavement.
Keep the parks for families, people with less mobility and particularly people with no garden.
Reduce the conflict.

I was in Tescos in Acre Lane yesterday. Its well organised inside now. Social distancing is easy. Queue outside was long but didnt take to long.

White plain flour was available yesterday. No dried yeast. But packages to make cup cakes etc.

Fairly well stocked up.

Since there is now so little traffic on most roads, I believe it would help reduce the crowding in parks if jogging tracks were set up in our streets.
Joggers are mostly running on tarmac, so I reckon it should make little difference. Make the tracks one way, in streets wide enough to accommodate runners in the middle and pedestrians on the pavement.
Keep the parks for families, people with less mobility and particularly people with no garden.
Reduce the conflict.
So you want someone to go out and paint lanes along the middle of the roads. So joggers can share the roads with cars. Any thoughts on what changes to the law would be needed, or how you'd stop joggers being run over? And you want all this done just for a temporary period until the lockdown is over? Genius.

So you want someone to go out and paint lanes along the middle of the roads. So joggers can share the roads with cars. Any thoughts on what changes to the law would be needed, or how you'd stop joggers being run over? And you want all this done just for a temporary period until the lockdown is over? Genius.
OK, I agree I was not clear enough. That would mean excluding cars from the streets chosen as running tracks.

OK, I agree I was not clear enough. That would mean excluding cars from the streets chosen as running tracks.
How will you choose which streets are to be running tracks? Will people have to move their own cars from these streets? Where will they put them? How will you manage emergency vehicles if there are lots of people running up and down? How do you think residents of these streets will feel if they are chosen to have hundreds of joggers puffing up and down outside their houses?

Not the most fully thought out idea but pretty sure that I read that pedestrianisation of unusually quiet roads has been implemented in some countries in response to the outbreak. Though probably more urgent in areas like Paris central where there is much less green space.

How will you choose which streets are to be running tracks? Will people have to move their own cars from these streets? Where will they put them? How will you manage emergency vehicles if there are lots of people running up and down? How do you think residents of these streets will feel if they are chosen to have hundreds of joggers puffing up and down outside their houses?

Many thanks for your thoughtful questions.

My first guess is that local planning and transport authorities could be in a good position to propose which streets to use. I would prefer community input but that may not be currently practical.

Permanently converting a street - blocking residential, commercial or emergency access would not work well. Though there would be nothing to stop emergency services getting access as needed.

Runners would not need the streets for 24 hours a day, which would allow time for deliveries to shops etc.

Not many residential streets would be suitable candidates anyway, as they are not wide enough to preserve social distancing. Though personally, I might prefer runners in my street to cars.

Households that did need to park in a different location should be given a parking permit for an adjacent street, a discount in their council tax, etc.

In streets that are wide enough, runners and electric powered public transport could easily co-exist.

My first guess is that local planning and transport authorities could be in a good position to propose which streets to use. I would prefer community input but that may not be currently practical.

Permanently converting a street - blocking residential, commercial or emergency access would not work well. Though there would be nothing to stop emergency services getting access as needed.

Runners would not need the streets for 24 hours a day, which would allow time for deliveries to shops etc.

Not many residential streets would be suitable candidates anyway, as they are not wide enough to preserve social distancing. Though personally, I might prefer runners in my street to cars.

Households that did need to park in a different location should be given a parking permit for an adjacent street, a discount in their council tax, etc.

In streets that are wide enough, runners and electric powered public transport could easily co-exist.
Hopefully, by the time it would take to implement, we will be back looking like normal.

Good on you for coming up with ideas anyway.

Hopefully, by the time it would take to implement, we will be back looking like normal.

Good on you for coming up with ideas anyway.
Thank You
I would like to share your confidence.
People like to talk about “normal” being something we can return to. A growing number of people seem to recognise it was not “normal” to begin with, that we have the chance to do better ... but this was not the point I was originally trying to make.
Thanks for your input.

Surely this man is a mental patient (or service user if you prefer). Look at his mouth - distinct signs of neuroleptic drug side effects - movements of the jaw, lips and tongue (tardive dyskinesia).
Most likely pre Thatcher he would have been in detention at Cane Hill hospital, or Tooting Bec.
With Thatcher's Community Care policy designed to liberate NHS land for redevelopment by Tescos etc, these people are normally "in the community". They were supposed to be monitored and treated, but the state of NHS mental health services at the moment wander around upsetting people, spitting at policemen and harassing women.

This is the price of sham Community Care, which works to a degree with patients (sorry service users) who are compliant, but totally falls down when patients so not wish to be monitored. At least he didn't have a knife.
All very interesting, but after he pleaded guilty to assault on an emergency service worker and using threatening words or behaviour, Michael Gray did not raise mental health issues as part of any mitigation or explanation for his appalling behaviour.

_111652144_michael.jpg

(Source: Metropolitan Police)

Could it be that Michael Gray is simply a thug who needs orthodontic treatment?

All very interesting, but after he pleaded guilty to assault on an emergency service worker and using threatening words or behaviour, Michael Gray did not raise mental health issues as part of any mitigation or explanation for his appalling behaviour.

_111652144_michael.jpg

(Source: Metropolitan Police)

Could it be that Michael Gray is simply a thug who needs orthodontic treatment?
Or has the image been Photoshopped?
I'm not in favour of thugs - but neither do I have a lot of faith in police courts.
Can you comment as to whether Michael Gray was represented in court?

Other cities are closing roads, widening pavements with cones and making more temporary bike lanes. So your ideas arent that off the wall.
Transport engineer Brian Deegan says 20mph streets, bikes for key workers, and “core corridor” emergency cycle routes would help more essential staff cycle, while removing guard rails on pavements and extending pedestrian space using traffic cones would help those on foot. The London Cycling Campaign has also come up with short, medium and long-term proposals to improve active travel in the capital during the crisis.

Buses are moving much quicker with less traffic as well.

The London Cycling Campaign proposals:

Ive been cycling up to West End each day. Its been a delight cycling on empty roads.

Take my section of CHL The pavement is very narrow. And it has wheelie bins making it impossible to socially distance as pedestrian. It would be easy to put temporary cones to narrow road for extra pedestrian space.

20mph speed limit across the London during the pandemic is another idea put forwrd by LCC.

Reduce the conflict.
No need to do anything so formal there is loads of space and on roads and pavements if people are just considerate of each other. No need to be passing within inches on the pavement or path when there is so little traffic and you can move into the road anyway.

We are very lucky in London and especially around Brixton area that there are so many parks/ commons / and bits of greenery.

I went out for a run through Brockwell this morning at about 7.45. Plenty of space, everyone very respectful. It was a mix of other joggers and people heading to work through the park. The occasional dog walker.

Hopefully we can make it all work without official intervention.

Take my section of CHL The pavement is very narrow. And it has wheelie bins making it impossible to socially distance as pedestrian. It would be easy to put temporary cones to narrow road for extra pedestrian space.

20mph speed limit across the London during the pandemic is another idea put forwrd by LCC.
Yes, it's been proposed as a national measure.

I went out for a run through Brockwell this morning at about 7.45. Plenty of space, everyone very respectful. It was a mix of other joggers and people heading to work through the park. The occasional dog walker.

Hopefully we can make it all work without official intervention.
There’s more people sitting down in the sunshine this afternoon

No need to do anything so formal there is loads of space and on roads and pavements if people are just considerate of each other. No need to be passing within inches on the pavement or path when there is so little traffic and you can move into the road anyway.

We are very lucky in London and especially around Brixton area that there are so many parks/ commons / and bits of greenery.

Mostly it is easy to move into the road, especially as they’re so much quieter now. But I’ve started noticing a few bottlenecks where there's say, a bus stop taking up the whole pavement, and a road busy enough that it would be dangerous to dart onto it - bus stop by the Half Moon Lane entrance of the Herne Hill Tesco is a perfect example. But it’s possible to cross the road & avoid, if you need.

Main problem is wheelie bins & parked cars along the pavements. Since the cars aren’t going anywhere in the near future (I mean, Londoners aren’t getting of their cars yet) maybe a low cost intervention would be to designate side streets where residents cars had to be parked along the centre of the road. No through traffic, and instantly wider paths for pedestrians.

I haven’t thought it through! For a start it would only work where the ‘pavement plus half a lane’ was wide enough for emergency vehicles. And I don’t think having road cyclists share that space would work.

But the ‘20s plenty’ thing (which sounds great) got me wondering about short / medium term interventions... which might stay afterwards.

Back
Top Bottom