Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Brixton coronavirus: local help, resources, business closures and news

Those Tesco and Sainsburys metro shops are so expensive, I'm not surprised. It's fucking demeaning for a person to have to stand out in the road like that to get their family's weekly groceries. It looks like 1980s USSR.

Tesco and Sainsburys would still make a profit if they temporarily dropped their metro prices to supermarket levels. Given the current situation, would that be too much to ask?
Iceland are excellent value and there's plenty of quality food there.

I have to make an embarrassing admission: about five minutes after I posted that pic of the queue I realised I was in the wrong queue! I was stood like a chump in the Boots queue, while the Iceland queue was only about five people :oops:

Croydon Magistrates’ Court have kindly done the world a very small favour by temporarily removing 41-year old Michael Gray of South Norwood from circulation, following an incident on Upper Tulse Hill at 1.55am on Thursday 2 April 2020:

Coronavirus: Man jailed for police officer cough assault

_111652144_michael.jpg

(Source: Metropolitan Police)

Police officers had approached Gray as he appeared to be harassing three women.

Read this today. It mentions Brockwell Park as an example.

Lockdown has laid bare Britain's class divide | Lynsey Hanley

The lasting social effects of coronavirus will only be seen more clearly once they are understood through the prisms of social class, economic disadvantage, and the ways that our environment can work against us, according to how much power we have to influence it.

As she points out Lambeth is the fifth most densely populated in the country where 31% of its population live in poverty.

She has written a lot on housing. As she points out housing / environment and health should go together.

Reading this reminds me of a couple of the planning applications for Loughborough Junction. The Council has allowed developers to plan new housing with the absolute minimum play space in the planned developments. Developers justify this by saying there are local public parks nearby. Its really about developers wanting to cram as much housing as they can on sites. Social housing providers are no better.

Its an unusually angry piece by her. She is right imo space is a class issue.

The longer this lockdown goes on the more it will be an issue hoepfully.

So far its not imo been one that comes up much. Inequality- lack of space- is largely hidden from view.

Id feel better about the lockdown if there was more debate on a better society once its over. "We" are all being asked to pull together. The unsaid assumption being that it will all go back to "normal" once its over. Im reallly glad that Lynsey Hansley has written this piece.

Croydon Magistrates’ Court have kindly done the world a very small favour by temporarily removing 41-year old Michael Gray of South Norwood from circulation, following an incident on Upper Tulse Hill at 1.55am on Thursday 2 April 2020:

Coronavirus: Man jailed for police officer cough assault

_111652144_michael.jpg

(Source: Metropolitan Police)

Police officers had approached Gray as he appeared to be harassing three women.
Surely this man is a mental patient (or service user if you prefer). Look at his mouth - distinct signs of neuroleptic drug side effects - movements of the jaw, lips and tongue (tardive dyskinesia).
Most likely pre Thatcher he would have been in detention at Cane Hill hospital, or Tooting Bec.
With Thatcher's Community Care policy designed to liberate NHS land for redevelopment by Tescos etc, these people are normally "in the community". They were supposed to be monitored and treated, but the state of NHS mental health services at the moment wander around upsetting people, spitting at policemen and harassing women.

This is the price of sham Community Care, which works to a degree with patients (sorry service users) who are compliant, but totally falls down when patients so not wish to be monitored. At least he didn't have a knife.

Read this today. It mentions Brockwell Park as an example.

Lockdown has laid bare Britain's class divide | Lynsey Hanley

As she points out Lambeth is the fifth most densely populated in the country where 31% of its population live in poverty.

She has written a lot on housing. As she points out housing / environment and health should go together.

Reading this reminds me of a couple of the planning applications for Loughborough Junction. The Council has allowed developers to plan new housing with the absolute minimum play space in the planned developments. Developers justify this by saying there are local public parks nearby. Its really about developers wanting to cram as much housing as they can on sites. Social housing providers are no better.

Its an unusually angry piece by her. She is right imo space is a class issue.

The longer this lockdown goes on the more it will be an issue hoepfully.

So far its not imo been one that comes up much. Inequality- lack of space- is largely hidden from view.

Id feel better about the lockdown if there was more debate on a better society once its over. "We" are all being asked to pull together. The unsaid assumption being that it will all go back to "normal" once its over. Im reallly glad that Lynsey Hansley has written this piece.
The Guardian seems to do an "X has laid bare Britain's class divide" piece every week or two. Whenever they do, my thoughts are that the divide is there for anyone who wants to look for it, and these events don't change much; those who don't want to look for it still won't look for it.

Scrubs for NHS Staff

Someone has set up a crowdfunder to provide scrubs for staff at King's.

They've raised over £1000 so far for fabric (that's enough for 120 sets), have people to bulk pattern cut & over lock each piece, which they will get out (together with trouser cord) to people with sewing machines to make them up.

They are looking for sewers - I've been forwarded an email (not sure it's appropriate to post it here but can dm it to you)

& still looking for donations I assume...

Scrubs for NHS Staff

Someone has set up a crowdfunder to provide scrubs for staff at King's.

They've raised over £1000 so far for fabric (that's enough for 120 sets), have people to bulk pattern cut & over lock each piece, which they will get out (together with trouser cord) to people with sewing machines to make them up.

They are looking for sewers - I've been forwarded an email (not sure it's appropriate to post it here but can dm it to you)

& still looking for donations I assume...
I can't find anything that says it's for Kings. Where did you see that? (I can run a feature on Buzz if there's a local connection).

Great to see Jack selflessly helping out and making sure it was shared on Twitter, but someone needs to have a word about how masks work :facepalm:

2020-04-09_181322.jpg

I can't find anything that says it's for Kings. Where did you see that? (I can run a feature on Buzz if there's a local connection).
Thanks! There's a Facebook group for South London hospitals.
Not sure if the fundraiser is there. There is also a general one, I'll link in a new post

Thanks! There's a Facebook group for South London hospitals.
Not sure if the fundraiser is there. There is also a general one, I'll link in a new post
If you can ask them to get in touch with me if there is a s London one, that would be great. I got no answer to my email.

If you can ask them to get in touch with me if there is a s London one, that would be great. I got no answer to my email.
I'll search for you in the S London group later. The main group is over 35,000 people so I imagine they aren't finding time to answer emails straight away!
Thanks!

editor
This is the local fundraiser for South London Hospitals (with a focus on Kings). If you need more info, please let me know. A set of scrubs needs 4.5m of material which costs wholesale about £10

THANKS A ZILLION!

Back
Top Bottom