Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Brixton chitter chatter, part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just noticed that hideous moneylending shop on the corner of Stockwell Rd and Brixton Rd. All neon. Vile and depressing.

It's about the 3rd that's popped up in the last year along with the pawnbrokers on Atlantic Rd. Really depressing :(

Must be the rent or sumtin? Probably pretty steep for such a plum spot. The Prince tho - went a few times, but it never felt like it had any kind of proper life to it... looked nice enough (bit generic, but wutevs), a tad expensive maybe. I'd rather go to down the road to the Albert.

From an email circular I get -

Due to circumstances beyond our control, Dex Club (and the Prince pub
below) are unable to open this weekend. We were only informed about it
late last night, and have been frantically looking round to find an
alternative venue in the vicinity, not the easiest task with it being a
Saturday night & Halloween, but we have managed to persuade the legendary
Dogstar pub, just down the road on Coldharbour Lane, to lend us their
Ballroom (upstairs)

We love it at Dex, the parties we have done over the last 2 years and
particularly this year have been crackers and sincerely hope the issues
they are having will be resolved as soon as possible, let's try and
recreate the Dex feel in the slightly smaller confines of the Ballroom and
have it right off.

Not strictly Brixton, but there's a new bike shop in Herne Hill - in the old Threshers shop. Called Bon Velo - opened on Saturday.

Oh and almost 400 riders at the Muddy Hell event at the velodrome on Saturday night!

Noticed coming past the Fridge on the bus this evening that there was a light on inside.

I guess someone didn't shut the door properly?

Not strictly Brixton, but there's a new bike shop in Herne Hill - in the old Threshers shop. Called Bon Velo - opened on Saturday.

Saw that shop yesterday but it was closed - have you been in? Wonder if it's good. I have some misgivings about the other one round the corner despite having bought several bikes there.

Has the Queens Head on Stockwell Rd closed? I just saw on facebook that someone I know had a gig on there tonight and it didn't happen cos the place was closed.

Already? Jeez, that didn't last long. I'm always thinking I should head down that way more to check out the Portuguese restaurants and so on, but really never get around to it. Seems like I wasn't the only one.

Rita, Sue and Bob Too is on at the Ritzy every day this week at 2pm for anyone not at work. I love that film :D

Granville arcade is open on Friday night, first time I've heard of it being open other than Thurs night. Apparently there will be Nov 5th type entertainment although I doubt that means a bonfire or fireworks.

Has the Queens Head on Stockwell Rd closed? I just saw on facebook that someone I know had a gig on there tonight and it didn't happen cos the place was closed.

I hope not, is my fav pub in Brixton atm. :( My mate Dennis is sposed to be doing a poetry night in there on Thursday, I'll txt him n find out.

I just walked past it half an hour ago and it didn't look very open. Some dim lights on around the bar but doors closed and not a soul to be seen. Small bits of paper stuck to the door and windows, was on the other side of the road and in a hurry though.

I just walked past it half an hour ago and it didn't look very open. Some dim lights on around the bar but doors closed and not a soul to be seen. Small bits of paper stuck to the door and windows, was on the other side of the road and in a hurry though.

Not sure exactly what is happening but it will be open tomorrow, and isn't closing. New owner is what I have heard.

Granville arcade is open on Friday night, first time I've heard of it being open other than Thurs night. Apparently there will be Nov 5th type entertainment although I doubt that means a bonfire or fireworks.

They're trialling late openings Thurs-Sat. Was open last week then as well.

Its got some cider related name on it now. Original !!

UOTE=twistedAM;11200138]Has the Queens Head on Stockwell Rd closed? I just saw on facebook that someone I know had a gig on there tonight and it didn't happen cos the place was closed.[/QUOTE]

The fucking "kids" on Tulse Hill are doing my head in. Several times now I've had to run the gauntlet of them trying to shoot me with a firework whilst cycling down/up the hill on my bike. It's much worse this year than I ever remember. This evening it was two blokes who should have known better in their late tweens/early twenties - showing off to a group of young teenagers....

In fact there was someone shooting one out of the window of the high rise next door this morning at 7:45am as well as the kids this evening at 6:15pm.

eta.. i don't think it's just me...

The fucking "kids" on Tulse Hill are doing my head in. Several times now I've had to run the gauntlet of them trying to shoot me with a firework whilst cycling down/up the hill on my bike. It's much worse this year than I ever remember. This evening it was two blokes who should have known better in their late tweens/early twenties - showing off to a group of young teenagers....

In fact there was someone shooting one out of the window of the high rise next door this morning at 7:45am as well as the kids this evening at 6:15pm.

eta.. i don't think it's just me...
You gotta report them. Every time.

Some kind of issue in my local shop earlier. Police arrived lightning quick - must have been under 2 mins after the two suspects went in.

On it's own nothing to write home about, but there's been alot "going on" recently. It's making me a bit edgy about Brixton. Momentarily, I hope.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom