Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Brixton chitter chatter, part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
a guy i know is now running the queens head - they're reopening this week. Not sure exactly what day, but they'll definitely be open on Friday.

The selfish bastards!

The cheek of it. Apparantly it's not only their own jobs they are trying to protect as 800 staff lose their jobs as we go further into a recession (at the same time as RMT staff are applauded in the press for 7th July actions). Now the selfish bastards are trying to protect their own safety as they are forced to create a service ready for the Olympics and the RMT staff are pointing out will create a dangerous stituation as cuts are rushed through. Why don't they just put together a petition that no-one notices instead of using industrial action to highlight their problem? That way at least I won't be affected.

Trivia alert:

Saw a bloke getting the shake down from a couple of plain clothes and a couple of uniforms outside the wholefood shop this afternoon. They took him off his bicycle and cuffed him before asking to see inside his mouth and pockets.

Do the plain-clothesers rotate into different parts of London, or do they not care that they may be recognised on their own patch?

Dealer activity has been quite lively in the street outside my house in recent weeks. One of them seems to have set up shop in the alley beside my house. My doorstep being the closest place to sample the goods, I am finding discarded cling film and other detritus every morning with my doorstep pinta.

In other news:

My neighbour has a new puppy. Their cat is not happy about it.

I enjoyed the purple sunset.

My neighbour has a new puppy. Their cat is not happy about it.

Aww. Bit of caterwauling? Probably best to introduce them to each other off-site then bring both to the family home together. Obviously it's too late for that now. Perhaps send them on a teambuilding weekend.

The cat has moved in to mine for the time being, much to the chagrin of the resident mogs.

So probably nex'door's cat will live grumpily and sulkily in the shed for the next week or two, and then capitulate and go back home. My lot won't tolerate invaders much.

So soon as the cat gives the puppy a swipe across the nose, the natural order will be re-established, I'm sure.

Fireworks may telescope the process to a few days.

Noticed that Federation Coffee has moved and now has ample indoor seating. Huzzah.
Don't like the look of some of their chairs but I hope it's only temporary.

Noticed that Federation Coffee has moved and now has ample indoor seating. Huzzah.
Don't like the look of some of their chairs but I hope it's only temporary.

Had a double espresso there today post-Cornercopia: it was fucking strong. Cornercopia was full at lunchtime and turning punters away.

gaijingirl; said:
Ha! We were there at lunchtime today! They were pulling out extra table to try and seat people.. nice food!

With the baby? Didn't see you - I'm normally a sucker for babies.

We were there from 1.45pm, sitting next to a media pitch for a Turkish media cafe at SOAS or something. Very Soho. Famous moustachioed TV journo at other table - can't for the life of me think who.

Dunno how you missed us, my little girl was VERY shouty (I was with a friend with a much better behaved little boy baby). It was a pretty stressful lunch actually.. there were two women sat next to us trying to have a conversation and I felt really bad for them. I guess the fact you didn't notice us means that I was worrying too much though... Didn't notice the famous moustchioed TV journo either but I spent a lot of time getting flustered.

Spent the whole evening in the Granville Arcade, dinner at Bellantoni's (never been before but omg incredibly good) and then some mulled wine in Cornercopia's new dining room.

Various random stuff going on in the aisles, mainly around the 'Brick Box' (or whatever its called) area.

The space that was host to a variety of 'pop-up' events/happenings/services next to the sweet shop has become a sort of deli/cafe type thing that doesn't look so unique as to deserve replacing the much more interesting free-form space that was there before.

Ha! We were there at lunchtime today! They were pulling out extra table to try and seat people.. nice food!

With the baby? Didn't see you - I'm normally a sucker for babies.

We were there from 1.45pm, sitting next to a media pitch for a Turkish media cafe at SOAS or something. Very Soho. Famous moustachioed TV journo at other table - can't for the life of me think who.

I had the squash salad with goat's cheese, and the fabulous chocolate ganache type thing. And coffee from Federation Coffee.

The space that was host to a variety of 'pop-up' events/happenings/services next to the sweet shop has become a sort of deli/cafe type thing that doesn't look so unique as to deserve replacing the much more interesting free-form space that was there before.

Except that the deli/cafe apparently does polenta with braised ox cheeks and is very good (according to Ian from Cornercopia). Beats pop-up in my book.

I had the squash salad with goat's cheese, and the fabulous chocolate ganache type thing. And coffee from Federation Coffee.

Am getting that sinking Lonely Planet feeling - we're all the fucking same.

Am getting that sinking Lonely Planet feeling - we're all the fucking same.

tumblr_l68471MayO1qcfstyo1_500.jpg

I had the wild mushroom and poached duck's egg.... but I also really wanted the squash and goats cheese salad v. much - it looked really yum. First time I've been there although i've been in to chat to the owner a few times as I needed to find a difficult to get ingredient for a recipe and he, very kindly, pointed me to the right place to get it. He seems a really nice guy and really passionate about what he does.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom