Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Brixton chitter chatter, part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
I very much doubt it - it's more likely to happen because Coldharbour Lane/Rushcroft Rd are prime "picking-off" grounds on account of the night economy in the area.

I see some hopelessly pissed up and vulnerable people staggering around in the early hours, and they must present easy targets to mugging scumbags.

True enough I suppose. Being as I drink up the Hill, I tend to forget just how many pubs/clubs there are down your end.

Funnily enough, whilst standing outside my local last night, one of the regulars heard a kid on bike using his phone and saying something about "they're on the pavement". Kept my eyes open the rest of the evening in case a little gang of muggers were on the prowl

I very much doubt it - it's more likely to happen because Coldharbour Lane/Rushcroft Rd are prime "picking-off" grounds on account of the night economy in the area.

I see some hopelessly pissed up and vulnerable people staggering around in the early hours, and they must present easy targets to mugging scumbags.

See, to me it seems a lot more dangerous since the Police cracked down on the night economy and dispersed it out of sight into other local streets.

Please accept my 'umble apologies. On the way to Federation we'd passed three other photographers brandishing really expensive cameras, so when I saw a Leica-toting snapper in my local coffee bar - sat next to an iPadder - I clearly jumped to the wrong conclusion.

I'd incorrectly pegged you as one of them there outsiders, but now you've introduced yourself, I'd love to see some of your pics!

no apologies needed. My work can be seen here
http://dpsampson.zenfolio.com/
and our local flickr group here
http://www.flickr.com/groups/effra_fc/

Just been out shopping in Brixton. So much for the new trendy Brixton, I couldn't find a cupcake anywhere and I wanted to buy one for my friend's little girl who's coming over later.

Just been out shopping in Brixton. So much for the new trendy Brixton, I couldn't find a cupcake anywhere and I wanted to buy one for my friend's little girl who's coming over later.
IIRC the cupcake stall is in the Granville Arcade/Brixton Village in the row farthest away from Atlantic Road...

Why not just buy her a normal cake or make your own fairy cakes?

Blimey, it's really really raining hard. I suppose it'll be a test of that drainage system that was put in during the summer.

Blimey, it's really really raining hard. I suppose it'll be a test of that drainage system that was put in during the summer.

It's rained a lot harder than this over the last few months, I remember a couple of monsoonal like showers a while back.

Fucking hell, that's terrible.

What did the bloke look like?

Thanks - appreciate the comments.

He was quite short - about 5'6" and mid thirties (I'm 6'1" and 38) but beyond that I didn't get a chance to see him properly since it was dark, he was wearing dark clothes and came at me from behind a wall. He clearly didn't give a shit about doing as much damage as possible and I'm glad I've managed to retain some lumbering pace over twenty yards because I've got no doubt that if I'd stood my ground the bottle would have found my stomach because he chased me with it. I was helped by a jogging couple from Herne Hill (thank you) and sat on the wall of the Hootenanny pouring with blood until the ambulance and police turned up. They (the police not the joggers) followed my trail of blood and found the smashed bottle but nothing else to help them.

I love Brixton and have lived here long enough to be realistic about things, but this freaked me a bit and as the evenings are getting darker I am much more aware of where I am walking. It's a cliche, but it really does happen so quickly and it's taken a while to get my nerve back - hope everyone is careful.

Thanks - appreciate the comments.

He was quite short - about 5'6" and mid thirties (I'm 6'1" and 38) but beyond that I didn't get a chance to see him properly since it was dark, he was wearing dark clothes and came at me from behind a wall. He clearly didn't give a shit about doing as much damage as possible and I'm glad I've managed to retain some lumbering pace over twenty yards because I've got no doubt that if I'd stood my ground the bottle would have found my stomach because he chased me with it. I was helped by a jogging couple from Herne Hill (thank you) and sat on the wall of the Hootenanny pouring with blood until the ambulance and police turned up. They (the police not the joggers) followed my trail of blood and found the smashed bottle but nothing else to help them.

I love Brixton and have lived here long enough to be realistic about things, but this freaked me a bit and as the evenings are getting darker I am much more aware of where I am walking. It's a cliche, but it really does happen so quickly and it's taken a while to get my nerve back - hope everyone is careful.

Really sorry to hear that, but glad to hear you got some help from someone.

Lisboa Grill on Brixton Hill now has a cafe next door. Unfortunately, I can't remember what used to be where the cafe was.

Reaaaaalllly? Any good? Been meaning to go their restaurant for yonks, but never have. So will they be selling the same stuff as the old place, plus coffees and cakes ++?

Reaaaaalllly? Any good? Been meaning to go their restaurant for yonks, but never have. So will they be selling the same stuff as the old place, plus coffees and cakes ++?

I don't know. I went to Paulo'z. Looked at the cafe menu, but decided that Paulo'z has better deal if you want a full English breakfast with tea.

I didn't have a full English though, I had a Special Prego.

As for Lisboa Grill itself (as opposed to Lisboa Cafe), I've no idea what that's like as never tried it since it became Lisboa.

It's the same as before but with a few additions to the menu. Same owners, same staff etc.

ah right, never really went there when it was The Gallery much either. But The Gallery wasn't open in the daytime was it, for breakfasts?

It's the same as before but with a few additions to the menu. Same owners, same staff etc.

Have you been in the Lisboa cafe yet or just the old place (Gallery)?

I went on Streetview to see what was there before the cafe and it looks like a hairdressers called Jenny's. Can't even remember it.

And opposite the White Horse, there's a crepe place opening up. Actually looks quite civilised. Makes a change from the fried chicken places. Has proper tables and chairs, and a license.

I loved the old Gallery and haven't noticed any changes to quality since the name-change. Seemed to be same staff and all that.

Noticed new shop on Brixton Hill in what used to be Dawn of the Raj, well I think it was Dawn of the Raj, the shops have changed so often, I can't keep track of them.

It looks like it's going to be called Ty Crepe. A shop selling crepes? Or is it just a name inspired by something else. I don't know. Does anybody? :hmm:

And opposite the White Horse, there's a crepe place opening up. Actually looks quite civilised. Makes a change from the fried chicken places. Has proper tables and chairs, and a license.

Keep up paolo

I loved the old Gallery and haven't noticed any changes to quality since the name-change. Seemed to be same staff and all that.

Still can't figure out why they refurbed and got rid of the green. It was a bit of a landmark on Brixton Hill, the different colour made it stand out. Now it's just easy to just walk past and not notice it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom