Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Brixton chitter chatter, part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
"Ty" is Welsh for "house", hence: "Crepe House".

Tidy.

ah, never knew that :)

A Crepe House on Brixton Hill.

Well it could be worse, it could be another chicken place, barber/hairdresser or nail bar :D

Incidentally I noticed a mosque in Coldharbour Lane was I was on the No. 45 the other day. Never noticed that before. Is it new?

are they in brittany? breton is very similar to welsh, isn't it?

Yeah, I was thinking that. Old Welsh b/f told me about the links with France and said something about if you could speak and understand Welsh, you'd understand French (although he was probably talking about Breton)

Noticed new shop on Brixton Hill in what used to be Dawn of the Raj, well I think it was Dawn of the Raj, the shops have changed so often, I can't keep track of them.

It looks like it's going to be called Ty Crepe. A shop selling crepes? Or is it just a name inspired by something else. I don't know. Does anybody? :hmm:

where on Brixton Hill is it, anyway?

Next to the Tent and Tarpaulin shop

I wonder how authentic it will be?

While crêpes originate from Brittany, a region in the northwest of France, their consumption is nowadays widespread in France and they are considered a national dish, and they are also increasingly popular in North America and South America. In Brittany, crêpes are traditionally served with cider. Crêpes are served with a variety of fillings, from the most simple with only sugar to flambéed crêpes Suzette or elaborate savoury fillings.

There is a licensing application in for 99 Brixton Hill. This is the property to the left of the sometime"Tent and Tarpaulin" shop. It was Dawn of the Raj until some point six or seven years ago then Onyx (and most recently R-23?)

The application doesn't have a name for the proposed "restaurant + bar" - in either English, Welsh or French.

There is a licensing application in for 99 Brixton Hill. This is the property to the left of the sometime"Tent and Tarpaulin" shop. It was Dawn of the Raj until some point six or seven years ago then Onyx (and most recently R-23?)

The application doesn't have a name for the proposed "restaurant + bar" - in either English, Welsh or French.

Yeah, I can only ever remember it as Dawn of the Raj, couldn't remember the Onyx and R-23 names. There may be no name on the application but there's a sign up there already

a friend told me the singer above bought a house in shakespeare road some months ago for some stupendous sum.

not bad going for a 22-year-old ...

She grew up in Herne Hill, apparently. Kudos to her for not moving to Notting Hill or Shoreditch.

those anti-abortion people were outside Marie Stopes today - right outside it. I walked past pushing my sleeping baby in her pram and felt actually quite sick at the images they were using. Such scum... I found it quite upsetting actually.

Peered into Ty Crepe - not much inside yet - just the alcohol license application on the door and a fancy sign.

The anti abortionists were on both sides of the road on Saturday. I stopped and told one he was disgusting before going into the shop.

The anti abortionists were on both sides of the road on Saturday. I stopped and told one he was disgusting before going into the shop.

Good for you.. I was angry at myself for saying nothing... the baby had just fallen asleep and was waking as soon as I stopped pushing and I can't get her to nap any more... but still I felt angry at myself for saying nothing. I gave them the filthiest look I could but I feel I should really have said something. I'm glad I don't have to pass that on the hill often - I found it profoundly depressing.

What do you mean "right outside it"? You mean inside the property (ie. inside the gates) or out on the pavement where they normally are?

I didn't see them this particular time but sometimes they've been outside the gates when there's one or two, but when there's a larger group they're usually put over the other side of the road with a small police presence.

Perhaps that's what gaijingirl meant - outside rather than across the road?

My missus once tipped the stuff off their table when they had a stall in Brixton. Made me right proud! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom