Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Brixton chitter chatter, part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nah, it was never T-Mobile or I would have been in there for a moan to them but always have to trek into Oxford St. Bunch of f*ckwits they are.

Pretty sure it was Vodaphone at some point though, then a Link and this week it might be Carphone Warehouse.

Ah. Vodafone! That's probably it. I was with Vodafone before so would have been in when with them, not T-Mobile.

It's Carphone Warehouse and Vodaphone that we've already got. (Why is it called Carphone Warehouse, btw - I've never heard mobiles referred to as carphones, ever).

It's Carphone Warehouse and Vodaphone that we've already got. (Why is it called Carphone Warehouse, btw - I've never heard mobiles referred to as carphones, ever).
Well they were, back in the mists of time when the battery was too large to carry around

when they first came out they were, as carphones were common and preferred to carrying around the massive old skool mobiles

how old are you?

Yes those were the days:
pic_989454001186610362.jpg

or more recently (early 90s)
hppp_0904_07_z+1992_pontiac_firehawk+in_car_phone.jpg

Outside of the UK the CPW are called the Phone House
tienda_the_phone_house.gif

Had lunch at a new place on Acre Lane opposite Opus and Aura... Khamsa Algerian.

Starters of home made hummus and baba ghanouj and mains of Berber pancakes (mine with merguez and harissa, other was vege) with salad plus mint tea for 2, £20. Pretty nice it was too, friendly and relaxing place. Open in the evenings, byo alcohol and the card says they will make your birthday cake for free. :) http://www.khamsa-uk.com/

Was tempted by all the Algerian pastries but had to go try Federation Coffee at last. Yup, it was good. Could have been a bit hotter though, nonetheless it was delicious and beautifully made.

I noticed that the other day when I went past. Nothing about the outside makes me want to go inside for a beer. :(

Can we place bets on which will fail first - George IV Music Bar revamp or Telegraph Paolo'z Way revamp?

Not that I want to be pessimistic but there's only so long you can watch the revamp/boarded cycle without starting to think there's no hope.

Windrush Square being well used this evening, presumably due to the particularly pleasant weather we've had today?

Hefty police presence in Leander Road last night between 7 and 8pm. Two meat wagons, about five cars and an ambulance. Not sure what was going on - I was trying to keep out of it but my two-year-old found it too interesting to stay away from.

That club (forget it's name, the one that closed due to litigation) on the corner of Moat Place and Stockwell Road (just past the skateboard park) has plastered the windows with great big reproductions of legal notices and an allegation that the closure was due to a plot by some white suprematist residents and the police.

I didn't stop to read it all (there is a lot of it) and didn't have a camera with me. Photo opportunity if anyone is passing that way.

That club (forget it's name, the one that closed due to litigation) on the corner of Moat Place and Stockwell Road (just past the skateboard park) has plastered the windows with great big reproductions of legal notices and an allegation that the closure was due to a plot by some white suprematist residents and the police.

I didn't stop to read it all (there is a lot of it) and didn't have a camera with me. Photo opportunity if anyone is passing that way.

J Bar?

I went in there once a few years ago.

Hefty police presence in Leander Road last night between 7 and 8pm. Two meat wagons, about five cars and an ambulance. Not sure what was going on - I was trying to keep out of it but my two-year-old found it too interesting to stay away from.

Which end? Josephine or Elm Park?

Brix... Do you mean that the business Paulo'z way is moving to the Telegraph, or that the owners of Paulo'z way are opening a new (& different) business, and Paulo'z way stays where it is?

Sorry for the delayed reply paulo999 - it's half-term so I've been away.

Paulo's Way will stay where it is and keep running as a cafe. The owner, Paulo, is going to open The Telegraph as a restaurant with two main eating areas. There will be a cheaper, more relaxed eating area at the front, and the large back room will be a more expensive restaurant where people will pay a supplement for the joy of eating accompanied by live Fado music :cool:

He's talking about having the front bit open in a couple of months - it'll take a bit longer to get the back room up and running.

I noticed as I passed there on my way home not ten minutes ago that there are still the 'for sale' signs on the Telegraph.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom