Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Brixton chitter chatter, part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had a real "I love Brixton" day today - a nice chat with the man in Bookmongers, followed by lunch in Brixton Village (Islander's Kitchen - highly recommended, and the owner, Margareta is lovely). Then a superlative latte in Federation Coffee, where I met someone who lives on my street but is moving out today and is gutted about it. So we had a discussion about what a brilliant place it is to live. And Offline tonight. Hurrah!

In sad contrast to above, I've just driven past a cordoned-off bus stop on Brixton Hill with a pool of blood by it. No indication of what happened.

The Tesco on Acre Lanr was closed today at 2pm.
What's going on with that? All big supermarkets are open til at least 4.30 on bank holidays and such :confused:

Easter Day is different though - it is the one Sunday of the year under the terms of the Sunday Trading Act when all large shops have to shut - only the Tesco Express size shops are allowed to open (and obviously all the corner shops etc that are normally open on Sunday too but not the major shops)

Paulo's Way (I refuse to use the 'z' suffix) are taking over The Telegraph. I think this is really good news. They're planning on putting Fado on in the back room so it'll still be a live music venue. I think Paulo's Way has been a fantastic addition to the area, and it's great to see them expanding like this.

:cool:

As expansions go, that is quite some expansive expansion.

I hope it is successful, and that if they do start trying to put on some music it isn't scuppered by the local nimbywits. A bit of fado would be an interesting addition to local musical options.

As expansions go, that is quite some expansive expansion.

I hope it is successful, and that if they do start trying to put on some music it isn't scuppered by the local nimbywits. A bit of fado would be an interesting addition to local musical options.

It's up to them to ensure that local residents aren't negatively affected by noise and congestion then isn't it? Putting in proper air conditioning/ventilation so that the fire door at the back isn't wedged open [in itself a violation of fire regs] to cool the place down when it gets too hot would go a long way, by keeping the noise inside - but my impression is that fado isn't particularly the overloud, thumping, screaming racket that we've endured in the past.

It makes no difference that the Telegraph "has a history" of live music (and disrupting the lives of those living nearby) - this is a brand new venture and consequently would be expected to keep within the boundaries of noise etc as set out in current legislation.

I like Paolo'z, particularly those custard pasty thingies that everyone else goes on about - but as someone who lives very near the Telegraph, I would be very saddened to have to suffer a repeat of the antisocial behaviour that the venue has inflicted on its neighbours in the past.

Brix... Do you mean that the business Paulo'z way is moving to the Telegraph, or that the owners of Paulo'z way are opening a new (& different) business, and Paulo'z way stays where it is?

What are these boundaries / legislation, specifically?

I'd start at http://www.lambeth.gov.uk/Services/Environment/Pollution/NoiseControl.htm

Our service aims to tackle unreasonable noise disturbance and reduce its impact on the quality of people's lives in the borough.

We investigate complaints about:
• pubs, clubs and entertainment venues

It doesn't give actual levels but each case is taken on its individual circumstances, and particularly if it's a regular thing (rather than just a one-off party).

I'm not talking about a random loud noise (after all, the traffic noise is bad enough sometimes) but when you get loud thumping music till 3am, every weekend and some nights during the week (as per the Telegraph) that can be heard well away from the venue (due to the fire door being wedged open, again as per the Telegraph), then it begins to adversely affect those living around the venue, and it's not unreasonable to expect a good night's sleep especially when you have to get up early for work in the morning.

If people want to party until all hours - fine. But don't keep me awake whilst you're doing it.

I'd start at http://www.lambeth.gov.uk/Services/Environment/Pollution/NoiseControl.htm

It doesn't give actual levels but each case is taken on its individual circumstances, and particularly if it's a regular thing (rather than just a one-off party).

I'm not talking about a random loud noise (after all, the traffic noise is bad enough sometimes) but when you get loud thumping music till 3am, every weekend and some nights during the week (as per the Telegraph) that can be heard well away from the venue (due to the fire door being wedged open, again as per the Telegraph), then it begins to adversely affect those living around the venue, and it's not unreasonable to expect a good night's sleep especially when you have to get up early for work in the morning.

If people want to party until all hours - fine. But don't keep me awake whilst you're doing it.

Did you ever contact the Lambeth noise police when you were suffering these problems when the Telegraph was open? Did they agree that the sound levels were unreasonable?

I don't think that link clarifies anything about whether or not a venue's history has any bearing on how its case is assessed, by the way.

Actually, no I didn't, at the time.

By the way, it's not "noise police", it's "environmental health".

In other news, the hoarding is coming down in front of the new T mobile shop on the ex woolworths site as I type this.

It's just part of the old Woolies that's T-Mobile, the rest is slated to be an H&M. There was never a T-mobile next to Sainsbury's - there's a carphone warehouse and I think an Orange (not sure exactly as my phone is T-mobile)...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom