Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Brixton chitter chatter, part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
I love fado.

A Portuguese friend was telling me that there are no Fado venues in London apart from a very expensive place in Knightsbridge. If that's true Paulo could be on to a winner. And I hope he is because it's sad to see The Telegraph empty and I think this will be great for the whole community.

Paulo's Way (I refuse to use the 'z' suffix) are taking over The Telegraph. I think this is really good news. They're planning on putting Fado on in the back room so it'll still be a live music venue. I think Paulo's Way has been a fantastic addition to the area, and it's great to see them expanding like this.

:cool:

That's good news....I' can only imagine what it will look like once they've given their decorator a free reign on such a big space:eek:

That's good news....I' can only imagine what it will look like once they've given their decorator a free reign on such a big space:eek:

I know! I can't wait tbh - I'm loving their 'more is more' approach to interior design. Their Christmas lighting spectacular was particularly good :)

A Portuguese friend was telling me that there are no Fado venues in London apart from a very expensive place in Knightsbridge. If that's true Paulo could be on to a winner. And I hope he is because it's sad to see The Telegraph empty and I think this will be great for the whole community.
I know when Mariza was at the Albert Hall practically the entire South London Portuguese community were there.
I think they will be onto a winner, there's such a large local Portuguese community.

Hopefully the type that bees like, and that produce fruit for birds, rather than the sterile pink pompom blossom type.

Paulo's Way (I refuse to use the 'z' suffix) are taking over The Telegraph. I think this is really good news. They're planning on putting Fado on in the back room so it'll still be a live music venue. I think Paulo's Way has been a fantastic addition to the area, and it's great to see them expanding like this.

:cool:

Oh, that's interesting. I saw some guys breaking the doors open (as in unsealing, not breaking in) and asked them what it was to become and they had no idea.

Still wondering what's going to happen to Iroko

Oh, that's interesting. I saw some guys breaking the doors open (as in unsealing, not breaking in) and asked them what it was to become and they had no idea.

Still wondering what's going to happen to Iroko

It was sold at auction on the 1st of March I believe. I have no idea who to though. Good about Paulo's innit? :)

It was sold at auction on the 1st of March I believe. I have no idea who to though. Good about Paulo's innit? :)

I know it went to auction on 1 March, but didn't know whether it had been bought or not.

I think it'll be nice if somewhere else on Brixton Hill opens during the daytime. I was all for Paulo'z when it opened as I figured I could sit b/f there at the window looking out, but they had a slight bar stool problem. :D

Maybe we'll have an alternative of sitting outside The Telegraph in the summer now

I know it went to auction on 1 March, but didn't know whether it had been bought or not.

I think it'll be nice if somewhere else on Brixton Hill opens during the daytime. I was all for Paulo'z when it opened as I figured I could sit b/f there at the window looking out, but they had a slight bar stool problem. :D

Maybe we'll have an alternative of sitting outside The Telegraph in the summer now

I think Iroko was bought but I'm basing that on seeing a couple outside the place the day after the auction clearly discussing it in a "master of all we survey" manner. So it's not exactly concrete evidence :oops:

I believe Paulo's have 'static' bar stools now so b/f should be OK. And yes, good to have somewhere to sit outside now it's getting warmer :)

I think Iroko was bought but I'm basing that on seeing a couple outside the place the day after the auction clearly discussing it in a "master of all we survey" manner. So it's not exactly concrete evidence :oops:

I believe Paulo's have 'static' bar stools now so b/f should be OK. And yes, good to have somewhere to sit outside now it's getting warmer :)

Yeah, it's not like you can even sit outside the George IV watching the world go by now they've fenced that off as well.

As long as it isn't too noisy at night, and they close at a reasonable hour, Paolo'z moving to the old Telegraph should be positive.

It doesn't sound that bad, but I wouldn't want anything playing at 2am in the morning when I'm trying to get to sleep

The fado idea sounds great, and if it's remotely authentic then you're not likely to have any noise issues. Acoustic guitars and lamenting vocals don't tend to get pumped out at full volume on huge bass rigs.

http://www.emusic.com/album/Carlos-Paredes-Guitarra-Portuguesa-MP3-Download/11146964.html

I wasn't even aware there was much fado music happening in London: presumably there must be some kind of scene, otherwise they wouldn't be able to think about putting it on regularly.

There's a woman who walks up and down our road singing loudly. Today it was 'Somewhere' a number from the Leonard Bernstein musical 'West Side Story'.

Can't you see the little bastards smiling, thinking to themselves "soon we'll litter this street with our petalsperm"?

Maybe there'll be people sliding out the pub pissed suing Lambeth Council on the pretext that they slipped on some wet cherry blossom :hmm:

Vince Cable won the debate tonight hands down. The Lib Dems should demand he is made chancellor if there is a hung parliament.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom