Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Brixton chitter chatter, part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well it's not designed for walking on, but the fact you can see the bottom edge of the kerbstones suggests to me that the whole road is going to be resurfaced, so raising it up 75mm or so.

Windrush Sq and Brixton Oval are going to be completely remodelled in the next Phase of works (along with the road junction with Acre Lane, Brixton Hill, Effra Road and Coldharbour)

I mean the bricks themselves in the central reservation are sloping. Maybe it's so it doesn't get flooded :D

Take a walk up it from the MacDonalds end to the tube and you'll see how it slopes down on the right-hand side

I mean the bricks themselves in the central reservation are sloping. Maybe it's so it doesn't get flooded :D

Take a walk up it from the MacDonalds end to the tube and you'll see how it slopes down on the right-hand side

It's true. You can sort of see it here:

2944279940_f127591a2f.jpg

The paving slabs that have already been fitted (outside the tube station) already look worn and tatty. None of it's level either, they are large piecs if tarmac that I'm assuming are temporary covers that can be dug up easily but it's seems they start one bit and then move on before its finished. Can't wait till the bus stops move back either, its a flipping nightmare to walk towards Effra road

I guess the road has an existing slope and they don't want the carriageways to deal with it (drainage reasons? better for drivers?)

I guess the road has an existing slope and they don't want the carriageways to deal with it (drainage reasons? better for drivers?)

I did suggest drainage (sort of) in previous post, however, they dug that whole area up so surely they could have levelled it? :confused:

I would term it as more of an "inconvenience" myself.

Nope, it's a pain in the arse, having to dodge so many people in such a tight space, cross the roads without getting run over and try to avoid the dodgy paving stones that aren't obviously dodgy until you step on the corner of one of them :mad:

But the two carriageways meet at the traffic lights bit, and they obviously have to be level with each other at the point, so it's a bit weird.

It's only an issue because I have to walk through the bus queues, I'm not actually catching a bus and its all the bus queues squeezed into one small area.

Nope, it's a pain in the arse, having to dodge so many people in such a tight space, cross the roads without getting run over and try to avoid the dodgy paving stones that aren't obviously dodgy until you step on the corner of one of them :mad:

You can always catch a 2 or a 3 or something from outside the tube, travel one stop and get off right next to the temporary stop.

Although the other day I cleverly got on a 35 in an attempt to do this and then enjoyed a nice trip right round St Matthews and back down to Acre Lane and then had to walk further than I would have if I'd just walked in the first place. I nearly advised a confused tourist to do the same. That would have been awkward.

You can always catch a 2 or a 3 or something from outside the tube, travel one stop and get off right next to the temporary stop.

Although the other day I cleverly got on a 35 in an attempt to do this and then enjoyed a nice trip right round St Matthews and back down to Acre Lane and then had to walk further than I would have if I'd just walked in the first place. I nearly advised a confused tourist to do the same. That would have been awkward.

If I've got shopping I go to the stop by the police station as it's too much hassle getting through crowds with armfuls of bags.

I've seen plenty of young, apparently fit people getting off one stop later though :eek::eek:

Having removed the covered bus stops in Brixton Town Centre in an attempt to stop the drug dealers using them, I noticed that they are now installing new ones as part of the works taking place

I thought the same thing last night as I walked past. The only possible difference will be a slightly louder whistle to reach the other side of the extended pavement.

And me!

:D

Serves you right for being lazy - fit, unfit, or otherwise. I've been walking up Brixton Hill most nights. *polishes halo*

Brixton Bus Stop Update:
Noticed that they are putting a huge new stop in the middle of the pavement outside Woolies. What's interesting is that it faces the opposite way than previously, so the back faces the shop not the road. Its like a barrier between waiting for a bus and walking through. Sorry if that doesn't make sense but didn't have time to take a picture.

The ex Vincent Atkins premises are turning into something else today, new windows and all being put in. Has anyone been to St Francis yet?

AHA! I went tonight with my mum - the toughest customer in the world. She left happy - mainly because a pizza, starter and bottle of wine turned out to be cheaper than Pizza Express. So we had a bottle each!

Personally I rather thought the front of house, Italian guy was good at his job. Especially good at charming women!

Apparently they lost their chef 3 days ago. Nevertheless our food was yum and surprisingly good value. We left at just the right time though - the cocktail crowd arrived at around 9pm, the music volume went up and the personal attention from our Italian Stalion disappeared. I accompanied my mum to her way home and went to the pub. :D

They're doing a special promotion, no purchase necessary, giving away a 'razor sharp vegetable slicer' in the big Tesco at Brixton at the moment.

They are doing it about every 30 minutes, got the call to the booth as I was in the checkout so I didn't get one, but there was a scrum there, some trolley rage, and two women almost coming to blows because someone apparently pushed in - even though it was an unlimited supply of giveaways and everyone got one.

In Brixton yesterday morning, I saw a little girl ask a man, who was sat down on a bench clutching a can of Spesh, 'are you an alcoholic?' He said 'Yes dear'.

Brixton Bus Stop Update:
Noticed that they are putting a huge new stop in the middle of the pavement outside Woolies. What's interesting is that it faces the opposite way than previously, so the back faces the shop not the road. Its like a barrier between waiting for a bus and walking through. Sorry if that doesn't make sense but didn't have time to take a picture.

oh, I saw that on Friday. All glass. Obviously toughened, but I do still wonder how long it'll last before it's smashed/defaced

Are the other stops getting shelters as well?

Oh, and The Telegraph seems to have transformed into a poncy multi-level bar whose name I forget - anyone been?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom