Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Brixton chitter chatter, part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've noticed a few Christmas trees appearing on the streets. Are people hoping they'll just disappear, or do Lambeth go round and collect them?

They have a free collection service. They hung a little flyer on wheelie bins before Xmas giving details of holiday collections and dome details about tree collection. Threw mine away but someone on here might still have one.

That the old church that used to be full of worshippers in sheets and doileys performing what sounded to be exorcisms on a regular basis? It's not as far down as Water Lane iirc, because that doesn't link to Dalberg, but more on that corner of the one way system on the road before

How I miss their fire and brimstone outbursts and weirdo noises.

That the old church that used to be full of worshippers in sheets and doileys performing what sounded to be exorcisms on a regular basis? It's not as far down as Water Lane iirc, because that doesn't link to Dalberg, but more on that corner of the one way system on the road before

How I miss their fire and brimstone outbursts and weirdo noises.

Morval Road - although it's never clear whether the bit with the bus stop and the garage is Morval or BWL, 'cos BWL changes at the bollards/Effra Parade jct to Dulwich Road.

Interesting though - wonder what kind of yoga they're doing and at what kind of prices?

I've just seen that they're busy lobbing off bits of the big London Plane outside the Ritzy. It probably needs it but I'm hoping that they're exercising some restraint.. In the proposals it says there's to be 21 new trees. I haven't counted the new planes and oaks but I'm sure it's not that many, though I might be wrong. If not, I wonder where they're putting the others.

so is there anywhere I can buy sand/grit on the way home then?

Probably the blokes hanging around the high street.
It will probably be sand/grit but will be a small amount wrapped in clingfilm.
Probably not the cheapest on the market.

The funny old church building on the corner of Brixton Water Lane / Dalberg Road has opened up as a yoga studio.

I've just been down there - but I can't find the church - is it the small white building (which does have a churchy roof to it). It's all shut up at the moment with newspaper on the windows and a notice from some kid who's had his bike nicked?

And it is in fact Dalberg Road (you were quite right) - so Dalberg Road does in fact connect with BWL at the same junction as Effra Parade and Dulwich Road (for anyone who gives a shit... :D)

Fair dues on one front Lambeth - Tulse Hill, Brixton Water Lane, Effa Raod and surrounding pavements have all already been gritted.

The flat on the high street that got burnt out a year or two ago

Good to see it's been fixed up, but -

4248984842_5da8a935cf_b.jpg

The new dormer window thingy at the top doesn't match the other ones though :mad::mad::mad:

Morval Road - although it's never clear whether the bit with the bus stop and the garage is Morval or BWL, 'cos BWL changes at the bollards/Effra Parade jct to Dulwich Road.

Interesting though - wonder what kind of yoga they're doing and at what kind of prices?

Dunno yet, they seemed to open for a day last week (it is that place with the sloppy roof, next to the car repair place, that as you say is on Dalberg Road, opposite the deck access flats). We got a flyer through the letterbox the other day, but that seems to be in the bin now...

Dunno yet, they seemed to open for a day last week (it is that place with the sloppy roof, next to the car repair place, that as you say is on Dalberg Road, opposite the deck access flats). We got a flyer through the letterbox the other day, but that seems to be in the bin now...

Right yes - same place I was at today. Oh well - will keep my eyes open for more info. Thanks. :)

They have a free collection service. They hung a little flyer on wheelie bins before Xmas giving details of holiday collections and dome details about tree collection. Threw mine away but someone on here might still have one.

The Christmas trees are going t0 be on the streets for another week or so: the collection services starts on 11 Jan:

From http://www.lambeth.gov.uk/Services/Environment/RubbishWasteRecycling/GardenWaste.htm

Christmas tree recycling

Each year we run a Christmas tree recycling scheme at the beginning of January. Depending on the type of property you live in, we will either collect your real Christmas tree from your home or from a local drop site.

If you live in a kerbside property, leave your real Christmas tree next to your refuse bin on your normal collection day. If you live in a Lambeth Living property, leave your tree next to your estate recycling bin. We will pick up the trees in the week commencing 11 January 2010.

If you do not live in a kerbside or Lambeth Living property, you can still recycle your Christmas tree by taking them to any of the following drop sites:

* Clapham Common, Windmill Drive, SW4
* Kennington Park, Kennington Park Road, SE11
* Streatham Common, Streatham High Road, SW16
* Lambeth Reuse and Recycling Centre, Vale Street, West Norwood, SE27

Real Christmas trees are being accepted at these sites from 11 – 15 January 2010.

I have a week of work due to an eye infection. If it snows might pop out tomorrow morning with the camera to see if I can snap any interesting pics.

Black frames on woolies were better. And more in keeping with the period, surely?

Dark frames are nearly always better. Many buildings start off with nice dark frames and then some philistine comes along and paints them white. Or replaces them with uPVC. Or both.

Just seen a kid sledging down my road on a Kinsley Folking and Hayward estate agents sign, his brother on a proper red sledge.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom