Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Brixton chitter chatter, part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Walking home along New Park Road this evening, a lady approached me and said one word intoned as to a question.

"Business?"

Naturally, I politely declined and carried on walking, and didn't really think about it till later.

Was she asking what I was thinking she was asking me for?

I'm just surprised that someone would be "working the streets" in an otherwise relatively pleasant area, that's all.

Walking home along New Park Road this evening, a lady approached me and said one word intoned as to a question.

"Business?"

Naturally, I politely declined and carried on walking, and didn't really think about it till later.

I suspect that in the freezing fucking cold, she merely wanted to discuss the finer points of developing your businesses strategy in this tough economic climate :)

I'm just surprised that someone would be "working the streets" in an otherwise relatively pleasant area, that's all.

Do you consider New Park Road to be more relatively pleasant than, say, Josephine Avenue? They have a very determined resident's group you know - you should watch what you're saying or they'll be marching up the hill with their pitchforks to get you.

"Business?"

Yes indeed. She was one of the government's new small business initiative consultants. Provided as a service to help small businessmen expand and to create a more virile and energetic high street.

£200 all in?

Bit more than that AJ, although I'm still chuckling at your concept of transportation around the city on a snowy day.

How do u know this?

Sat very close to them and was at the bar when they paid with a Lambeth credit card...

I fully expect they had the best interests of the Lambeth taxpayer at heart, and chose only the cheapest things from the menu and stuck to half a bottle of blue nun... :hmm:

I'm sure they were! Particularly at £66 per bottle.

Yes indeed. She was one of the government's new small business initiative consultants. Provided as a service to help small businessmen expand and to create a more virile and energetic high street.

As long as she kept the noise down after 9pm, and didn't run any all night evening classes, I'm sure AJ would be happy.

"Business?"

I have encountered this strolling down Brixton road and was daydreaming as usual when she popped the question "Business?" so I mumbled "Thanks love but I am married"..

To which she replied "I prefer doing married blokes coz they have better manners" which made me smile :)

Why should public sector workers be denied the pleasure of fine wines? In these instances it's always good to consider 'what would Bob Crow say?'

You're right of course teuchter. It's just that the prospect of my local councillor snaffling a wine which is well out my price range makes me, well, unaccountably tetchy.

ETA I don't mean snaffle do I? Or perhaps I do...

I always had set spending limits in my fat cat quango days. At the same time that my union boss was putting in expense claims for 'sticky buns'. Hmm, maybe he also lived on NPR.

Mrs Bob says that central Brixton from the brdge to the Academy was cordoned off last night by police.... any idea what happened?

Air ambulance just landed in Max Roach Park. I know not why yet.

Edit: crew ran over to Stockwell Park Estate, police are in attendance.

Edit: police came out of the estate, opened car boot, donned stab jackets and took off with sirens. park ranger arrived. armoured van arrived. Didn't see anyone put in it but the chopper just took off again. It all remains a mystery.

Good grief, whatever now... after an hour or so of peace, police have just cordoned off the small bit of Max Roach Park on the corner of Villa and Brixton Rds.

Julie has been touting for business on the corner by The Hand in Hand for about 5 years! You must walk around with your eyes closed...

The old Woolworths lettering has gone. How could they?!!

(I imagine this has already been commented upon, but I've only just noticed. Been away)

Julie has been touting for business on the corner by The Hand in Hand for about 5 years! You must walk around with your eyes closed...

Maybe times are really hard and out of desperation she decided to finally approach me?

Air ambulance just landed in Max Roach Park. I know not why yet.

Edit: crew ran over to Stockwell Park Estate, police are in attendance.

Edit: police came out of the estate, opened car boot, donned stab jackets and took off with sirens. park ranger arrived. armoured van arrived. Didn't see anyone put in it but the chopper just took off again. It all remains a mystery.

Good grief, whatever now... after an hour or so of peace, police have just cordoned off the small bit of Max Roach Park on the corner of Villa and Brixton Rds.

A forensic type peep in white coveralls arrived and spent an hour fishing things out of bushes and photographing them. Main object looked like it might be a knife. Not seen any news stories relating to this incident.

The old Woolworths lettering has gone. How could they?!!

(I imagine this has already been commented upon, but I've only just noticed. Been away)

Noticed this today. Not sure where lettering stands in terms of the rules about conservation areas... Whether it could be considered 'demolition'.

I've noticed a few Christmas trees appearing on the streets. Are people hoping they'll just disappear, or do Lambeth go round and collect them?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom