Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Brixton chitter chatter, part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well tonight when I was on my way home there was bedlam at the big junction as someone had had an accident on the road to the left of Mass so everything was going up brixton hill while the amblinces did their bit.

I wonder how many accidents there were today.

You have to be able to do that though, because otherwise how would you get up Brixton Hill if you're going in the other direction (ie coming from Herne Hill)?

You could have a no right-turn just after the church, without affecting people coming down Effra road northwards.

Anyway, I thought the idea was that only buses would use the bit going to the left of St Matthews, with all cars having to go past the Fridge whether they're going up Brixton Hill or Effra Rd. Maybe I misunderstood though.

Anyway: I can confirm that High Spirits is now trading from its new location, as I bought some biscuits in there a couple of hours ago. Very exciting stuff.

Anyway: I can confirm that High Spirits is now trading from its new location, as I bought some biscuits in there a couple of hours ago. Very exciting stuff.

What sort of biscuits?

Bet they don't sell Sainsbury cornflake crunches.

So they would have to turn left where we have all had to turn right until now?

Who would?

And where have we all had to turn right until now?

The cars. Just after the church.

You could have a no right-turn just after the church, without affecting people coming down Effra road northwards.

Anyway, I thought the idea was that only buses would use the bit going to the left of St Matthews, with all cars having to go past the Fridge whether they're going up Brixton Hill or Effra Rd. Maybe I misunderstood though.

I've just noticed you've said past the fridge, which means you think they'd have to go along BWL then turn left down effra road for access? :confused:

Don't use the facepalm on me sonny jim. :mad:

And you have broken your own code by posting it on the same line as your post.

tsk.

But then how would you get onto Acre Lane if you're coming from Kellett or Saltoun Rd?

But then how would you get onto Acre Lane if you're coming from Kellett or Saltoun Rd?

up to BWL and then back down again, or Railton rd and coldharbour lane or whatever. Does it really matter? Making things work for pedestrians and buses is loads more important than the convenience for a few car drivers on a couple of streets.

Unfortunately you'll have to wait for hoverboards to be released. :(

But on the plus side, according to "Back to the Future II" they should be commonplace by 2015 :cool:

up to BWL and then back down again, or Railton rd and coldharbour lane or whatever. Does it really matter? Making things work for pedestrians and buses is loads more important than the convenience for a few car drivers on a couple of streets.

You'd just be moving the problem somewhere else then. Speaking as both a pedestrian (most of the time) and a driver, it's finding a balance, innit? The vast majority of the cars on Effra Rd currently are going up the hill, so the new arrangements should make a big difference.

St. Matthews Road is still one way for traffic coming from Effra Road to Brixton Hill. You still have to use all of Effra Road if you're going to Tulse Hill / Dulwich.

Good news about High Spirits... will check out their beer stocks later.

St. Matthews Road is still one way for traffic coming from Effra Road to Brixton Hill. You still have to use all of Effra Road if you're going to Tulse Hill / Dulwich.

Yeah, it seems like that's the plan. I must have imagined the bit about the first part of Effra Road being buses only. Or maybe that was an earlier proposal.

Page 10 here has a plan showing how it will work:

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/assets/downloads/corporate/Transforming-Brixton-Town-Centre-Phase-Three.pdf

I've just got bck from my first trip on the new road layout.

There is an added advantage of going straight up the Hill.

There's less people falling over. :D

I got ready to brace myself and then remembered we weren't going round the church and therefore didn't need to.

You could always tell the non-locals. They were the ones that went flying when you went round the corner

I've just got bck from my first trip on the new road layout.

There is an added advantage of going straight up the Hill.

There's less people falling over. :D

I got ready to brace myself and then remembered we weren't going round the church and therefore didn't need to.

You could always tell the non-locals. They were the ones that went flying when you went round the corner

I will quite miss this I think.

I had got quite good at leaning over exactly the right amount going round both the corners to counter the centrifugal force and like you say, the non-locals were generally caught out. A daily moment of superiority, now lost to history.

Did you make an estimate as to the time saving achieved by going straight up the hill?

Once I combine that saving, with the saving achieved by going to High Spirits instead of having to cross the road twice to get to Nisa, I think I will be looking at getting home a quite substantial number of seconds earlier than previously.

I will quite miss this I think.

like you say, the non-locals were generally caught out. A daily moment of superiority, now lost to history.

I'll miss it as well :D, unless it's an elderly/disabled/pregnant person, it's quite funny :oops:

The second time I did it today though, got caught by the lights, but at least there's only one set of lights now

The first time was brilliant. Straight from bus stop outside Woolworths, straight past the church and then the bus stop.

I'll miss it as well :D, unless it's an elderly/disabled/pregnant person, it's quite funny :oops:

The second time I did it today though, got caught by the lights, but at least there's only one set of lights now

The first time was brilliant. Straight from bus stop outside Woolworths, straight past the church and then the bus stop.

I was looking forward to my first time too, but then it was ruined by the accident blocking the road.

pff.

I was looking forward to my first time too, but then it was ruined by the accident blocking the road.

pff.

Ruined it for you :mad::mad:

I got stuck in West Norwood today. Don't know what had happened but it took forever to get to B&Q and I made the mistake of getting on that P196 bus.

Ruined by lamb stew that's in my slow cooker as it was on high for much longer than expected. :D

There was some sort of sign about the drinking zone outside the tube on a lamp post or something. But I was too sleepy and late for work to stop and inspect it this morning.

Yeah, it seems like that's the plan. I must have imagined the bit about the first part of Effra Road being buses only. Or maybe that was an earlier proposal.

IIRC, that was the original idea, but after public consultation they allowed through traffic. Might not be the objectively 'best' solution but it's what the people (who shouted loudest) wanted.

IIRC, that was the original idea, but after public consultation they allowed through traffic. Might not be the objectively 'best' solution but it's what the people (who shouted loudest) wanted.

With, what 7, buses now going straight up Brixton hill instead of up effra road. I don't see why there is a need to stop cars going up there. Seems simpler than any other arrangement.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom