Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Brixton chitter chatter, part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Twice now I've been out shopping and forgot to pick up a tin of black treacle.

Can someone remind me if they see me at the farmers market tomorrow?

Did the first day of two-way working around Brixton Hill/St Matthew's Road actually happen today or was it abandoned because of the storms?

Did the first day of two-way working around Brixton Hill/St Matthew's Road actually happen today or was it abandoned because of the storms?

You mean the new traffic flow?

There was two-way traffic on the Brixton Hill side of St Matthew's. It all looked pretty smooth and unsnarled to me.

I suppose Monday morning will be the real test.

... as my Beloved and I commented to each other while crossing the road there this very morn...

And another thing: the sequence of lights while crossing from Effra Road all the way over to Brixton Hill has always been very pedestrian friendly: if you got a green man at the start, you could catch all the other green men at a comfortable pace. This has always been a small but pleasing part of my day. I doubt that will continue to be the case now.

Crossing Coldharbour Lane today from the corner at KFC to the corner by the Ritzy we noticed pedestrian lights have been installed. The traffic moving south from Brixton Road is now straight ahead only (no left-hand turn into CHL). However, on several occasions we saw people very nearly being run down whilst crossing on a green pedestrian crossing by drivers turning left who hadn't realised/didn't care about it being no left-hand turn. There are "straight ahead only" road signs but maybe that junction could benefit from some "new traffic layout" signs or something, 'cos it was a bit scary seeing that today (in a really short amount of time).

Walking past the junction today, it seemed that most cars were ignoring the newly opened 2 way bit and going straight up Effra. How are they intending it to be 'local access' only I wonder..?

So are cars now meant to go up brixton hill and turn left round St Matthews to get onto the Effra?

How does that help anything?

Walking past the junction today, it seemed that most cars were ignoring the newly opened 2 way bit and going straight up Effra. How are they intending it to be 'local access' only I wonder..?

Once people get used to it it will be fine, I reckon. Doesn't make sense to go round the one way system if you can go straight on up Brixton Hill. Is Effra Rd two-way now as well?

I was responding to this, minnie.

I may have misunderstood.

That's the thing - I'm not convinced that the road changes in themselves have alleviated the traffic problem - rather that the removal of the restrictions has opened up the flow of traffic to return back to pre-roadworks levels.

As tends to be the case in most of these 'traffic improvement' schemes.

That's the thing - I'm not convinced that the road changes in themselves have alleviated the traffic problem - rather that the removal of the restrictions has opened up the flow of traffic to return back to pre-roadworks levels.

As tends to be the case in most of these 'traffic improvement' schemes.

The only benefit I can see is that it lightens the flow up Effra Road, therefore enabling the traffic not to get backed up on Brixton Road and Stockwell Road. When the traffic can't get off Stockwell Road onto Brixton Road then it affects the traffic going both directions.

Therefore, if there is an accident on Tulse Hill, I can't see it making any difference to the flow of traffic

So are cars now meant to go up brixton hill and turn left round St Matthews to get onto the Effra?

How does that help anything?

It means you no longer have to go via Effra Road to get up Brixton Hill. You can just go straight on a the lights by KFC, ifyswim. If you want to get to Tulse Hill, Herne Hill or indeed my house you go via Effra Road as usual. It means that there should, in theory, be a lot less traffic on Effra Road.

It means you no longer have to go via Effra Road to get up Brixton Hill. You can just go straight on a the lights by KFC, ifyswim. If you want to get to Tulse Hill, Herne Hill or indeed my house you go via Effra Road as usual. It means that there should, in theory, be a lot less traffic on Effra Road.

I know that you now go straight up brixton hill and I thought that people would still access Effra road in the same way. I was responding to someone's post which seemed to contradict that. I still don't know what he means.

It was his first post ever. I'm giving it 2/10.

I read his post to mean that cars didn't realise they could go straight on and were heading up Effra Rd as usual. But I could be wrong.

I know that you now go straight up brixton hill and I thought that people would still access Effra road in the same way. I was responding to someone's post which seemed to contradict that. I still don't know what he means.

It was his first post ever. I'm giving it 2/10.

Poor guy. First post and he's confused everyone. :D

Well not everyone, just Quimmy

perhaps you can explain it to me then, minnie.

:)

I took it to mean they were going round the church to go up the Hill, although I'm not sure that's possible except for cyclists, so everyone who was going up Effra were actually intending to go up Effra

I took it to mean they were going round the church to go up the Hill, although I'm not sure that's possible except for cyclists, so everyone who was going up Effra were actually intending to go up Effra

Nope. Can you quote him and break it down a bit more for me. What is your analysis of the 'access only' bit?

Can you draw a map with directional arrows to show what you mean?

The motivation behind the change is to reduce the traffic running alongside the new Central Square Plaza Of Opportunity and Equality or whatever it is. If you can still go up Effra and turn right to go up the Hill, then that was a bit silly of them wasn't it?

Perhaps it's a transitional phase. And surely for most going straight up makes more sense.

and bugger off to the beach to hang out in your thong.

The motivation behind the change is to reduce the traffic running alongside the new Central Square Plaza Of Opportunity and Equality or whatever it is. If you can still go up Effra and turn right to go up the Hill, then that was a bit silly of them wasn't it?

You have to be able to do that though, because otherwise how would you get up Brixton Hill if you're going in the other direction (ie coming from Herne Hill)? But most people won't bother, presumably, because it doesn't make much sense.

Hopefully it will make it much easier for those of us who have to get onto Acre Lane coming from Saltoun/Kellett Road.

I'm hoping the new layout means that buses going straight from Brixton to Streatham will sail southwards with no problems rather than getting snarled up in gridlock round the church when northwards on the road is busy, but I'm reserving judgement till I see it on a busy day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom