Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Brixton chitter chatter, part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

High Spirits has been going a few years now - they were on the corner of Brixton Hill and Josephine Avenue and are now in the process of moving up to Sheila's old place...
I mentioned the old shop a few months ago in answer to a question about where to buy good wine in Brixton. Now they're expanding to a newsagency and convenience stuff.
Good luck to them - they've always been very friendly and have a good range of beer and wine.

High Spirits has been going a few years now - they were on the corner of Brixton Hill and Josephine Avenue and are now in the process of moving up to Sheila's old place...
I mentioned the old shop a few months ago in answer to a question about where to buy good wine in Brixton. Now they're expanding to a newsagency and convenience stuff.
Good luck to them - they've always been very friendly and have a good range of beer and wine.

ah right, I remember them on the corner, just didn't realise it was them that had moved

Now they're expanding to a newsagency and convenience stuff.

That's good. Means I can get off the bus and go to the shop on the way home without having to try and cross the road to Nisa. Literally the most annoying place to try and cross a road, in the world, ever.

That's good. Means I can get off the bus and go to the shop on the way home without having to try and cross the road to Nisa. Literally the most annoying place to try and cross a road, in the world, ever.

And dangerous...I got knocked down just up the hill from there at the lights by a speeding beamer that shot a red. Of course the cctv wasn't working or I might have had a bit of compo off the bastard.

I've never been either. Wrong side of the road innit. I used to go to Sheila's though as it was so bizarre in there.

And dangerous...I got knocked down just up the hill from there at the lights by a speeding beamer that shot a red. Of course the cctv wasn't working or I might have had a bit of compo off the bastard.

I tried to get a petition up about 20 years ago after a friend almost got killed crossing from the White Horse to the Dawn of the Raj, but a copper told me it had been tried before and hadn't worked because Fortress and the other shops had protested people wouldn't be able to park if they put a crossing there. :rolleyes:

I tried to get a petition up about 20 years ago

Would you like to make another attempt?

I can see the argument that there's a crossing 100m up from there, and another one 100m the other way - but the presence of bus stops on either side of the road at that point, as well as it being the centre of the parades of shops on either side, and the presence of the White Horse, seems to suggest that it's the most sensible point. There are always people trying to cross there.

I'd like to see a zebra crossing there, and capital punishment for anyone speeding on Brixton Hill. :mad:

Alternatively, ban cars altogether and reinstate the trams.

I can see the argument that there's a crossing 100m up from there, and another one 100m the other way - but the presence of bus stops on either side of the road at that point, as well as it being the centre of the parades of shops on either side, and the presence of the White Horse, seems to suggest that it's the most sensible point. There are always people trying to cross there.

I'd like to see a zebra crossing there, and capital punishment for anyone speeding on Brixton Hill. :mad:

Good points and i agree with them all except for the last one as I think London should be the first city in the world to have a year-round all-weather ski slope. Brixton Hill would be ideal. Hell. we could have lifts, a gondola and all that jazz too.
Pipe dream, I know.

Can't see the point. The cop I spoke to said someone had already suggested it years before but the shops kicked up a stink. That's never going to change. Far too busy anyway.

You can do it and we'll nominate you for a knighthood when we get it :D

Can't see the point. The cop I spoke to said someone had already suggested it years before but the shops kicked up a stink. That's never going to change. Far too busy anyway.

You can do it and we'll nominate you for a knighthood when we get it :D

They should put an island on the Hill near the end of Josephine Avenue now it's closed. It's on the cycle network, and there are dozens of school kids crossing there every morning and afternoon.

trams

speaking of trams, which I often do, it seems that Boris has trampled on Ken's plans for a cross river tram, running from Streatham to Holborn, or thereabouts. Not a day goes by when I don't wish that Boris never got anywhere near London.

speaking of trams, which I often do, it seems that Boris has trampled on Ken's plans for a cross river tram, running from Streatham to Holborn, or thereabouts. Not a day goes by when I don't wish that Boris never got anywhere near London.

Yes, he trampled on that some time ago I'm afraid.

I've just remembered, something incomprehensibly exciting happened this morning. I went on a bus - a 133 if I recall correctly - along Brixton Water Lane. From Brixton Hill to Effra Road. Not many people can say that.

It was diverted due to an "incident".

Pedestrians looked on, astounded.

I've just remembered, something incomprehensibly exciting happened this morning. I went on a bus - a 133 if I recall correctly - along Brixton Water Lane. From Brixton Hill to Effra Road. Not many people can say that.

Oh, I heard about that but can't remember what it was. Spillage/leakage springs to mind?

PS: Not that unusual at all. BWL and King's Avenue are normal diversion routes when something's happened on Brixton Hill

I hope you were on the top deck and able to ogle a new set of upstairs windows and concealed gardens... :D

Seems like an incident not too dissimilar to our recent "KFC bomb that wasn't" just happened, just come round the email at work.

CITY OF LONDON POLICE - COMMUNITY UPDATE
A small explosion has occurred in Victoria Street, believed to be an underground main. Police are on scene and EDF are currently investigating the incident. Victoria Station is currently closed. Further updates will follow if necessary.

Did anyone hear the thunderstorm at about 6.30 this morning?

There was an enormous crack of thunder which sounded like an explosion, and the lightning flash came through at almost the same time; it must have been very close to my house...

There was an enormous crack of thunder which sounded like an explosion, and the lightning flash came through at almost the same time; it must have been very close to my house...

I didn't but was aware of it once the cat came pelting in to the bedroom cos it was scared :mad:

No. But now that you've said that I do have a vague memory of something.... :hmm:

I often don't remember wakings up in the wee hours.

I then went on to have a dream about Peter Blake who is a Royal Academician, I see from Wiki.

Yes, I did - really, really loud, again felt really close (I'm on the hill)

Yep,i was up at 4am.
An aggressive storm with several impressive flashes and bangs.
(And lots and lots of rain.)

I'm on the hill too.

One of the dangers of living at altitude.

I'm thinking of liberating my goldfish, in the hope that they can at least save themselves because it doesn't look like this weather is going to improve any time soon.

The storm woke me up in the middle of the night. It all seemed to have gone quiet as I went to go the loo, and then an almighty lightning flash scared the bejesus out of me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom