Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Brixton chitter chatter, part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was puzzled by this. I'm wondering whether a certain degree of colour contrast is required by the new Rail Vehicle Accessibility regulations [RVAR], but I haven't found anything so far.

This document shows the exemptions from RVAR that LT have got for the new trains:http://www.uk-legislation.hmso.gov.uk/si/si2008/em/uksiem_20082969_en.pdf

However, the colour schemes on the Victoria Line are nowhere near as annoying at the [RVAR mandated ?] announcements at refurbished Northern Line stations that tell you the next station - ON BITS OF THE LINE WHERE THE NEXT STATION IS NEVER DIFFERENT!!!

Maybe for the benefit of partially sighted people ?

But have you never noticed whilst waiting for a District or Circle Line that the poles are green and yellow, or the Piccadilly Line is dark blue or the Jubilee Line is silver (grey) etc?

Or do you only go on the Victoria Line?

I suppose you only keep an eye out when you're on a platform that might have more than one line running through it

no, can't say i have. i don't use it very often as it's hellish, but i look at the electronic display or the front of the tube to find out what line the train is on. only a mad person would look at the rails.

no, can't say i have. i don't use it very often as it's hellish, but i look at the electronic display or the front of the tube to find out what line the train is on. only a mad person would look at the rails.

No, only mad people and tourists look at what's on the front of the train as that's often wrong. Normal people look at the pole colours, and then get confused when they're on the Hammersmith & City Line when they think they're on the Circle Line :mad::oops:

i had to get from white city to brixton without the central line on saturday and managed fine without pole staring.

i had to get from white city to brixton without the central line on saturday and managed fine without pole staring.

Yes, but it's helpful to know what line you're on in case a tourist asks.

I've quite often got on the train at Victoria and a tourist has asked what line it is. As I had no idea as either the Circle or District Line was fine by me, I'd just jump on the first one that came along. I just looked at the poles to tell them what line I was on.

(Sometimes, when you're short and on a packed train, you can't see the map that tells you what line you're on)

I was puzzled by this. I'm wondering whether a certain degree of colour contrast is required by the new Rail Vehicle Accessibility regulations [RVAR], but I haven't found anything so far.

This document shows the exemptions from RVAR that LT have got for the new trains:http://www.uk-legislation.hmso.gov.uk/si/si2008/em/uksiem_20082969_en.pdf

It's because of this presumably that the Northern line handrails are yellow instead of black.

I don't really see that the dark blue on the new Vic line trains is any more visible than the proper Victoria line blue.

Regarding the pattern on the upholstery: I think this is different to the old trains. I haven't yet come to an opinion on this.

I noticed that the flooring was the same as many other tube trains.

I'm not too keen on the way the panels immediately below the seats are designed. I think we may be getting into a bit too much detail now though. But certainly the absence of the air pressure gauges (and other mysterious notation) in these panels is not a positive change.

if you have a beard and look pissed off, tourists don't ask you questions :)

Curious.... I get more with a beard than I did clean shaven. I suppose that was down to the grade zero on the head.

I have got the 'pissed off' look sorted and can do the 'wild eyed' look that seems to deter the clipboard holders. Some situations require a 'bespoke' look but these are normally a thread or book to themselves

It's because of this presumably that the Northern line handrails are yellow instead of black.

They figured black would be too depressing as it is known as the Misery Line after all. That's why they have that dazzling lighting.:D It doesn't do you any favours if you've had a heavy night.

I've just got bck from my first trip on the new road layout.

There is an added advantage of going straight up the Hill.

There's less people falling over. :D

I got ready to brace myself and then remembered we weren't going round the church and therefore didn't need to.

You could always tell the non-locals. They were the ones that went flying when you went round the corner

Falling over opportunities are still afforded by the No. 35. I was disappointed to ride it on Sunday and go round the church rather than up the new bit but then it was pointed out to me that it has to go that way to get down Acre Lane.

first time back in Brix in 6 weeks...I reckon the St Matthes road works are actually an improvement.

cue shock and awe

are the new trains quieter?

I was trying to work that out. They certainly make a different sound. I think they are a bit quieter, which is good. Less of the screeching noise I reckon. They probably make as much noise on the outside, but have better sound insulation to the inside.

on the old trains, the noise overwhelms my ipod, even if it's at full volume. i hope this isn't the case with the new ones.

there's one segment of track between stockwell and vauxhall where the noise drowns out my music. it's only that bit of the victoria line though - it seems to get quieter the further north you go.
i dunno how people can travel on that line every day - i occasionally use it to get to work and it's a nightmare, esp between victioria and oxford circus.

on the old trains, the noise overwhelms my ipod, even if it's at full volume. i hope this isn't the case with the new ones.

I seem to remember something somewhere saying that the noise levels on the Victoria Line (maybe other lines too) were higher than those allowed in clubs etc.

May just be one of those nonsense urban myths though.

If anyone is in need of a medical bloodbank refrigerator, there is one for the taking on the street, at the bottom end of Arodene Rd.

Outside the "Christian Centre".

:hmm:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom