Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Brixton chitter chatter part 1 (Nov 2006-June 2008)

Status
Not open for further replies.
gaijingirl said:
gaijinboy was approached by a woman outside the Ritzy with a clipboard collecting signatures for a petition for the homeless. At 11:40pm at night. :D Of course this evolved into asking for a donation which she happily received and as she walked off she pulled a can of cider from her pocket and swigged it. :D

Quite ingenious I thought..

:D :D

The relatively new grocers on the corner of Coldharbour Lane / Atlantic road has a little black & white kitten gambolling round it. :)

The Brixton Bar and Grill has reopened after an exceptionally long summer holiday :D

Anyone know what the goss is?

different people I think - there was a for sale sign that then turned into an under offer sign before it reopened.

editor said:
There's a 'For Sale' sign on Brady's.

It's been on there for quite a while - at least 2 months. I think there were a few bids on the table with the council for it's future apart from the ABC one. I've got a nightmare vision that one of them is bound to be Tesco Metro on the ground floor and "luxury apartments" above :rolleyes:

nipsla said:
I've got a nightmare vision that one of them is bound to be Tesco Metro on the ground floor and "luxury apartments" above :rolleyes:
Who'd want to live in a building that is *part* of a well used railway bridge? Have you felt how the thing sways when heavy trains rumble overhead?!

editor said:
Who'd want to live in a building that is *part* of a well used railway bridge? Have you felt how the thing sways when heavy trains rumble overhead?!

Tell me about it - our front room vibrates v slightly when they go over - I can't imagine what it'd be like to live directly by it :eek:

Bound to be someone who does though!

nipsla said:
Tell me about it - our front room vibrates v slightly when they go over - I can't imagine what it'd be like to live directly by it :eek:

Bound to be someone who does though!

I'll be astonished if the council doesn't sell it. I like the alternative plans but simply can't seen any chance that the council will retreat from selling a site worth a few million when there's a £20m hole in their school building plans.

twisted said:
thanks for the hygiene warning
You think a kitten will do more damage than the 100's of miles, hands and hours of london air that the stuff's been exposed to?

editor said:

The new 'luxury apartments' in Loughborough Junction (the old junction pub) are pretty much right on the railway line

Well things could have changed since the licensing laws changed but I reckon it's a safe bet that it opens at 11

nipsla said:
I've got a nightmare vision that one of them is bound to be Tesco Metro on the ground floor and "luxury apartments" above :rolleyes:

not keen on luxury flats but good sized Tesco might be the best thing that could happen to the market.

newbie said:
not keen on luxury flats but good sized Tesco might be the best thing that could happen to the market.

In what way would a Tesco be good for the market?

story said:
In what way would a Tesco be good for the market?
I assume it's being suggested that the 'magnet' effect would bring people to the market. I'd say that it's more likely that a Tesco would compete directly with the market and do it great damage. What the market needs is some money spent on infrastructure and promotion.

Crispy said:
I assume it's being suggested that the 'magnet' effect would bring people to the market. I'd say that it's more likely that a Tesco would compete directly with the market and do it great damage. What the market needs is some money spent on infrastructure and promotion.

Agree with you there Crispy.

The market is a fantastic asset that is being ignored and left to crumble away. All those empty units, all that unfulfilled potential for sections of it to be open in the evening for semi-alfresco dining, for instance.

I know the infrastructure is really dodgy. I worked inside the market for a while. Everytime it rained hard, sewage would bubble up. Nothing was ever done about this.

The rents are screamingly high, I understand - driving long-established businesses like Alltone Records and the pet shop into non-existance.

I can't see that another big hitter like Tesco would help at all.

Poor Brixton Market.

Anything to draw people into the market area is likely to improve sales, and at the moment there's nothing except the market to pull people off the high street.

A lot of people walk up to Tesco from the central area. Their footfall doesn't go past the stalls or smaller shops in the market, so even if what they're purchasing is available, they don't see it.

That's partially because the central supermarkets are pretty poor- ever met anyone with a good word to say for that Sainsburys?, and both Iceland and M&S are shunned by more people than actually use them. None of them serve the 'social hub' role of Tesco on Acre Lane, which is where people meet by chance and stop for a natter.

Maybe Tesco moving back into the market wouldn't change any of that, and the fortunes of the market wouldn't improve, but what other use for the old pub would have a more positive effect?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom