Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Brixton chitter chatter part 1 (Nov 2006-June 2008)

Status
Not open for further replies.
They're worded very carefully those leaflets - they don't claim to be charities and in fact they take your clothes and sell them on to organisations abroad. I haven't had a door to door salesman though.

Yeah, have seen those leaflets, get at least two a week. Have told the distributors to fuck off, but they're probably just getting paid to deliver them. This was different, was a convincing sales guy at the door going on about how deprived kids would get a weekend away if I bought a certain amount and other such guff. Not a huge scam as I needed the stuff I bought, but no mention of them being a proper charity, so just wondering.

I report these to the Trading Standards peeps but doubt much comes from it.

Got one the other day which was so vague but had a picture of a kitten on it :rolleyes:

I think that what I will start doing is putting my rubbish bags outside with the leaflet attached to them. Should cheer someone up :)

yeah, vile innit.

how much chicken can the people of britain eat? i mean, you can walk for miles in this city without getting more than 20 paces away from a chicken shop.

yeah, vile innit.

how much chicken can the people of britain eat? i mean, you can walk for miles in this city without getting more than 20 paces away from a chicken shop.

it is a particularly London phenomenon though (esp in south London).

In the rest of Britain it's at least 100 paces

Roosters chicken cottage opening on the corner of Atlantic and Coldharbour. Looks massive.
It looks really horrible too, with yet another variant on the same lurid chicken logo. I can't believe Brixton really needs yet another fucking chicken shop and it's a shame to see such a landmark building turning into another cheapo fast food store.

*awaits more chicken bones and packaging to be liberally distributed around the hood.

*awaits inevitable street punch ups

Well they've just closed down a chicken shop at the Herne Hill end of Railton Road, soon to be replaced by a new baker's. So it's not all bad news!

Well they've just closed down a chicken shop at the Herne Hill end of Railton Road, soon to be replaced by a new baker's. So it's not all bad news!

There were two next door to each other though weren't there?
Which one went? MFC (Mother Fucking Chicken as it used to be referred to til they got a sign that said Maxi Fried Chicken on it instead of just MFC)?

Praise the lord! Praise the lord! Another deli in the Herne Hill area. Praise the lord!

Have you been to "Spoon" in New Park Road (top of Brixton Hill, near the Telegraph), couple of doors up from the veg shop? Lots of great stuff there.

Just noticed a new delicatessen opening in Herne Hill on Railton Road opposite the vets... Sesami it's called.. http://www.sesami.co.uk/index.html
not much on the website yet though. Also looks like another bakery is opening up in between the butcher and the furniture shop.

Went there today, it's only been open a few days, proper cakeyness, doughnuts, jam tarts, danishes etc. There's another counter selling pies and sarnies. Bought a load of stuff and eaten most of it already - haven't had a jam tart in years :) Definitely going back.

Just noticed a new delicatessen opening in Herne Hill on Railton Road opposite the vets... Sesami it's called.. http://www.sesami.co.uk/index.html
not much on the website yet though. Also looks like another bakery is opening up in between the butcher and the furniture shop.
yeah the bakery is open now and it looks alright. it really surprised me cos there was a bakery there before and i was really sad when it closed....i thought there wouldnt be enough business to keep it open. now there's two bakeries within 20 meters of each other :)

as for delicatessans, has anyone seen "Malinka" near the oval end of brixton road? its not that new, open about 3 months i reckon, but decent stuff in there, cheap coffee, good bread, friendly staff....

The Cultural Archives has got its £4m Heritage Lottery Fund award (but needs to raise another £1.5m match funding). Twas in the Sub Standard last night.

Recently, many times when I've been in the park there's been a bloke on a scrambler type motorbike zooming around - up and down the paths, really showing off and quite dangerously tbh - and also over the grass etc. He's an adult and it's not one of those little bikes either. Is this allowed? I watched him almost mow down an entire troupe of mothers and kids by the tennis courts the other day and it's beginning to piss me off. :mad:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom