Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Brixton chitter chatter part 1 (Nov 2006-June 2008)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes they did some on Dalyell Road a few weeks ago - saw it on the way to work and thought it was a real police raid for a minute till I spotted the numerous cameras/vans/hangers on.

I'm not very bright in the morning.

This happened on a 159 when it was raining last week.

Guy gets on with a big golfing umbrella. Stands in the aisle and doesn't put the umbrella down.
The people getting on behind him can't get past and tell him to put it down. He airily tells them he can't put it down, it's broken, but does have the decency to move down the aisle a bit. Now he's blocking the stairs, and the people coming down them can't get off. He explains again that he can't put his umbrella down, as it's broken.
People coming down the stairs fight their way over the umbrella, and get all tangled up and cross. The bus driver stops the bus and tells him to put his umbrella down. He (slightly exasperated at this point) explains again that he can't put his umbrella down, as it's broken.
Facing the wrath of the bus (except me, I was pmsling), he gets off... but leaves his umbrella in the aisle.
The driver leaves his cab and he and a passenger try to fold in down (with limited success) and manage to manhandle ito out of the back doors. It springs onto the pavement like a big stripey bird and there it remained, until the other day.

Bad road accident near Brixton Water Lane this morning. I mean bad enough that the police actually had Effra Rd blocked off, and buses had to use Josephine Ave.

According to the South London Press a young woman was in a collision with a motorbike on Effra Rd near the junction on Mervan Rd at 8.40am. She's in Kings with head injuries - hope she's ok. The motorbike rider was arrested at the scene and taken to Kings as a precaution.

I was there at about 8:41am... she was being put in the recovery position by passers by (a cyclist and pedestrian). The bike must have hit her quite hard - it travelled a good way down the road ending up on the opposite side on the pavement with quite a bit of damage it seemed - I couldn't see the motorcyclist but I imagine he must have been hurt too.

By the time I reached the church a police van, ambulance car and full sized ambulance were en-route - quite an impressive response and very quick I thought - must have been within 10 -15 minutes.

Ouch, poor woman.

I had a lunch time meeting of councillors and MPs and got to see Keith Hill (Streatham Lab MP) release a bag of helium balloons with Bob the Builder with an audience of excited children!

It seems that some of the streets between Barnwell Road and Brixton are going to become a home zone with a 20mph speed limit, and there's lots of Effra parents interest in improving the zebra crossing on Dulwich Road / Effra Parade. There's also a new cash point opposite the dogstar. When did that appear? And that new chicken place is massive!

Not a Vet, I went to the Hoot 'opening' club night (don't ask why), which was almost completely empty. I felt sorry for the band.

According to the South London Press a young woman was in a collision with a motorbike on Effra Rd near the junction on Mervan Rd at 8.40am. She's in Kings with head injuries - hope she's ok. The motorbike rider was arrested at the scene and taken to Kings as a precaution.

I hope you're right in that the woman was only injured. I was trying to walk up Effra Road at the time and was told by police that there'd been a fatal accident.

Ouch, poor woman.

I had a lunch time meeting of councillors and MPs and got to see Keith Hill (Streatham Lab MP) release a bag of helium balloons with Bob the Builder with an audience of excited children!

I saw something that looked like it was shaped like a chair floating about this afternoon. I guess it must have been one of these.

It seems that some of the streets between Barnwell Road and Brixton are going to become a home zone with a 20mph speed limit, and there's lots of Effra parents interest in improving the zebra crossing on Dulwich Road / Effra Parade. There's also a new cash point opposite the dogstar. When did that appear? And that new chicken place is massive!

Do you have any contact details for them by any chance? Seems to me that their zebra crossing and my speeds campaign are on a very similar issue / area.

Cheers, Bob.

It seems that some of the streets between Barnwell Road and Brixton are going to become a home zone with a 20mph speed limit, and there's lots of Effra parents interest in improving the zebra crossing on Dulwich Road / Effra Parade.

Holmewood Road / Gardens became a homezone a few years ago (after about 6 years of messing about). If you haven't done so already, it could be worth comparing notes with them.

Yeah, I stumbled across the Holmewood website when I was trying to work out what a home zone was... I don't live in that bit of SW2 (or whatever it is, I live in SE24 - and that might just ressurect the SW2 / SW9 / SE24 argument again!), but have a vague connection to the Effra Early Years Centre.

Oh and the bloke who runs the new bakery outside the station used to work at Kindred (he's called Dave i think). Seems strange to open one up 200 yards from you old employer, but there you go. He's intentionally not copying the Blackbird type breads, and his shop was busy this morning (as was sesami).

The Black Cultural Archives Centre... what was it actually called? It was on the corner opposite the Dogstar..... Well it is now a Rooster Shack.

Is a rooster snack shack a macho version of a chicken snack shack?

We clearly need another fried chicken emporium, to go with the 576 betting shops and the four-thousand-eight-hundred-and-twenty-three nail parlours.

There's some fucking annoying Portuguese/Hispanic music that's been blaring out all day long around the Moorlands estate and has now got very irritating.

My neighbours appear to be having a party with some tinny stereo system blasting out assorted crap. I'm sure I've just heard a techno remix of Kung Fu Fighting...

I never thought I'd ever complain about noise but I have done recently on grounds of taste. If I want to listen to cheese reggae I will, but not have some fucker force it into my ears.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom