Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Brixton chitter chatter part 1 (Nov 2006-June 2008)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Chas and Dave down the Hootahob wasn't badly attended, especially given the £12/£18 tickets. Strange folks clearly came from the east, dressed for the occasion with added gold ringage and flat caps. Other bar was open as normal for the non ticket holders

Still, despite the new gig-going clientele things reverted to type. The gig apparently went well enough, with Chas and Dave having a drink by the bar afterwards. Some female cockernee fan said something to Chas by all accounts, her numpty boyfriend got the hump and Chas ended up being headbutted! Couldn't make it up...

(Edited to correct price)

Stlll, they provided some good gas in the pub the next day! Fair bit of rabbit, rabbit going on. Made the bystanders day.

Sounds like it was a good night apart from that mind. Bloody cockneys importing their own violent yobs to gentle Brixton for the evening eh, nutting people over misinterpreted 'gay' jokey comments. Tsk, Tsk etc...
;)

All too trivial to talk about really. Woman apparently asks Chas for kiss, Chas quips that he's gay. Her boyfriend seems to think Chas is calling him gay and nutting in the hooter occurs. No wild west chairfight breaks out, the bloke walks out leaving Chas clutching his nose, still trying to explain that he's the gay one by all accounts.

Bear in mind that this incident has been reported through the hootahob witness programme. No reason to doubt the man, who was apparently standing right nearby, but the finer points may be lost in excitable translation. The witness now seems convinced that Chas is a raving campster for example, rather than a bod trying to avoid a smouldering peck from a female fan...

(vibrant) Shakespeare in Brockwell Park!

Just got this from FoBP..

Love's Labour's Lost - (the lover's tale)

Welcome the summer with vibrant theatre in your local park.

Venue: Open-Air at Brockwell Hall, Brockwell Park,SE24 9BJ

Dates & Time: 10th-14th June 7.30pm, 11th & 14th June 1.30pm & 15th June 6pm

Ticket Prices : £10/£8concession (£5 U18 at matinee performances) group discount available by prior arrangement

Venue Box Office: www.thecuriousroom.com / http://www.ticketweb.co.uk/user/region=xxx&query=schedule&promoter=curiousroom

The Curious Room - a South-London based theatre company which has been commissioned to put on the first ever Shakespeare in Brockwell Park this June. Love's Labour's Lost (the lovers' tale) is opening the summer season of M.A.D. for Brockwell Park – a brilliant new initiative taking Music, Art and Drama outdoors in South London which has been devised by The Brockwell Park Arts & Events Group and is kindly sponsored by BPMAC and FoBP.

The Curious Room brings you this neatly abridged version of Shakespeare's comedy in a fresh vibrant setting, directed by acclaimed theatre director, Knight Mantell. Love's Labour's Lost is one of the lesser known of Shakespeare's comedies but was brought into the public eye two years ago when Kenneth Brannagh made a musical film of the play. The play is heralded as having some of the more beautiful speeches for young characters. The themes explored by the play are not that dissimilar than those tackled on our television screens in shows such as Sex in the City or in the newsagents in OK and Hello magazines. Four sets of royal lover's embark on a battle of the sexes. Can four clever women distract four studious men from their vow to devote their lives to learning?

Both The Curious Room and the team behind M.A.D. for Brockwell Park are excited to be providing accessible and affordable opportunity to see Shakespeare taken off the page and brought to life by an innovative team of actors, musicians and artists.

The Curious Room was established in January 2007. The company works as a co-operative, giving the people involved in the creative process as much credit and input as those who eventually present the piece of theatre to an audience. This provides a forum in which a network of artists of different disciplines can experiment, create and expand, culminating in mixed-media performance.

In October 2007, we performed our first production: a staged version of Angela Carter's radio play Vampirella, including an illustration and two film shorts. All the proceeds went to the south London charity Kids Company. We pledge 10% of profits from any future production to Kids Company, a local organisation; this will give creative opportunity to children that have none. This August sees The Curious Room's Edinburgh fringe festival debut with The Highwayman a new play by Bahar Brunton after the classic poem by Alfred Noyes.

In the future The Curious Room hopes to commission more new writing which is inspired by classic literature, poems and works of art.

^ That's on my birthday. :)

If anyone remembers the guy who was killed by a motorbike on Coldharbour Lane, the twat who killed him got 5 years. Not nearly enough if you ask me.

Also got this for the annual midsummer feast - which I think we'll finally make for once!. The play above is on the same day - so you could eat and watch theatre in the park on the same Sunday if you wish!

Greetings, You are invited to the: 4th Brockwell Park Mid Summer Feast and AuctionIn front of Brockwell Hall, Brockwell Park. Sunday 15th June 2008.Drinks at 1.30 for the Feast at 2pm. This will be a celebration of Brixton grown food, eaten in white tablecloth sit down sunny style, outdoors in the park with up to 200 localpeople. Most of the food is growing on local allotments or in theCommunity Greenhouses in Brockwell Park. If you would like to book a table or tickets please fill in the form,send a cheque (payable to 'Urban Green Fair CIC') and return to theaddress below and we will send your ticket to you. The tickets will beon a first come first served basis so do reply quick if you plan tocome. In the last three years we have raised just over £2900 for the HeritageLottery Fund Bid and Park activities, this year we plan to raise moneyfor the Urban Green Fair on 31st August and for the Brockwell Park MACfor other activities in the park. Tickets are priced accordingly to income and can be bought by post orfrom the Brockwell Hall Cafe, Brixton Wholefoods and the CommunityGreenhouses on Thursdays. There will be a raffle and auction afterlunch. Best regards Shane CollinsThe Brockwell Park Mid Summer Feast. Print page, cut and return

Name: ...............................................................................................
Street: ..............................................................................................
Postcode: .................................................
Email: ............................................................................................. Phone: ..............................................................................

The three course Feast is priced according to your annual income.
Up to £8k p.a. = £6.
£8 - £12k p.a. = £8.
£12k - £25k p.a.= £14.
£25k p.a.and up = £20 plus donation.
Kids under 10 eat free. 10 – 18yrs half parents price.

Number of tickets: ................. Total amount enclosed: £...........

There will be kids activities during the meal. Cheques payable to: 'Urban Green Fair CIC' Send to: Feast, c/o 73 Brailsford Road, SW2 2TB.

Have the guys who whistle while they work scampered off from kfc? I only ask because yesterday there was a police car on permanent watch (I felt so safe...) and today there is a guy with a bumbelt leaning up against the bike railings outside the Ritzy, eyes glued on that area. And unsuprisingly, little or no 'Skuuunk, skuuuuunnnnkk' (said in an extremely intense manner). It was ten in the morning, so there is a chance said bumbelt adorning man wasn't an unfortunately bait undercover cop, but just a guy in a bumbelt. I wonder though... Is this Boris hard line on crime in action?

Have the guys who whistle while they work scampered off from kfc? I only ask because yesterday there was a police car on permanent watch (I felt so safe...) and today there is a guy with a bumbelt leaning up against the bike railings outside the Ritzy, eyes glued on that area. And unsuprisingly, little or no 'Skuuunk, skuuuuunnnnkk' (said in an extremely intense manner). It was ten in the morning, so there is a chance said bumbelt adorning man wasn't an unfortunately bait undercover cop, but just a guy in a bumbelt. I wonder though... Is this Boris hard line on crime in action?

You're living in a cartoon. It isn't said in an 'extremely intense manner', quite the reverse given the nature of what they're doing, and claiming you need the presence of a copper to make you feel safe at 10am outside the KFC is patently absurd. Maybe you should try living in Wimbledon or something.

There were some very obvious plain clothes policemen under the bridge at around six last night getting lip off the euro smackers.

Oh and Linton Qwesi Johnson driving a red Nissan Micra!

There were some very obvious plain clothes policemen under the bridge at around six last night getting lip off the euro smackers.

Oh and Linton Qwesi Johnson driving a red Nissan Micra!

Given that I'm a long time LKJ fan, who has lived in Brixton for a few years, I've never quite worked out why I've never seen him in Brixton. He's pretty distinctive so it's not like I'd miss him... :confused:

You're living in a cartoon. It isn't said in an 'extremely intense manner', quite the reverse given the nature of what they're doing, and claiming you need the presence of a copper to make you feel safe at 10am outside the KFC is patently absurd. Maybe you should try living in Wimbledon or something.

the 'I felt so safe...' bit was what we call ironically expressed; p'raps should have been more obviously denoted for less subtle readers. Your scornful response miss-interpreter would be more usefully expressed against some of the Boris-wanking tossers who sprout obnoxious bilge more regularly. The thrust of what I wrote was to draw attention to the over-coppering, and if there was a point it was that this is 'perception management' of an insidiously cynical bent. Moreover, there is an intensity to the dealers offers of skunk which is more over the top than most other merchants; say, the guy shouting 'half price' in the market. Low, intense and directed speech (complete with extra-eye contact) from the dealers vs loud, 'at nobody' from the marketeers. Whats the problem with intensity? Its not insulting is it?

the 'I felt so safe...' bit was what we call ironically expressed; p'raps should have been more obviously denoted for less subtle readers. Your scornful response miss-interpreter would be more usefully expressed against some of the Boris-wanking tossers who sprout obnoxious bilge more regularly. The thrust of what I wrote was to draw attention to the over-coppering, and if there was a point it was that this is 'perception management' of an insidiously cynical bent. Moreover, there is an intensity to the dealers offers of skunk which is more over the top than most other merchants; say, the guy shouting 'half price' in the market. Low, intense and directed speech (complete with extra-eye contact) from the dealers vs loud, 'at nobody' from the marketeers. Whats the problem with intensity? Its not insulting is it?

Ellipses are hardly the stock-standard way to imply irony though, are they? Single quote marks maybe. But I'm with you on the anti-Boris thing and also with you on the poorly thought-out, in-your-face policing thing that the yoot are going through just now. Still think you're talking crap re the Skunk guys, though. Let's just agree to differ maybe. :)

Given that I'm a long time LKJ fan, who has lived in Brixton for a few years, I've never quite worked out why I've never seen him in Brixton. He's pretty distinctive so it's not like I'd miss him... :confused:

I see him all the time.....never in a car though, usually on Coldharbour Lane, but not always.

They hang round the 35 bus stop on Acre Lane now

Ive seen him putting the rubbish out on Railton Road, used to be always in the Hammy... always see in Herne Hill not Brix.

Brixton News beside McDonalds was open the other day, I noticed. Wasn't it closed for ages?
Yeah. Odd rumours about that, that can't be repeated here. I find it strange that there's only one newsagent/offie on the whole of the highstreet, and it's a crap one.

Yeah. Odd rumours about that, that can't be repeated here. I find it strange that there's only one newsagent/offie on the whole of the highstreet, and it's a crap one.

I remember the 'deleted post' that I missed. Still, I suppose it's open, even if it is rubbish and never open when I want it to be.

Paramedics just carted away some very drunk, very angry bloke on Coldharbour Lane, while another random drunk rocked up to shout nonsense at the medics.

Minutes earlier an MTV crew filming some edgy urban idents rolled down the street giving it large.

Some passers by told them to fuck off.

Which I rather liked.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom