Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Brixton chitter chatter part 1 (Nov 2006-June 2008)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just seen on London Tonight some live footage of outside the town hall, a 13 year old girl is stuck under a prison van and the whole area is in a right mess, loads of people milling around and the traffic is a nightmare as well.
My housemate was walking past just as the windows were being smashed on the lorry... looked very nasty.
I hope the girl's alright.

I was there about an hour ago. Lots of police, ambulances and fire engines. No-one in the (sizeable) crowd knew what was going on but Chinese whispers of stabbings/two people dead were flitting around . I left the scene when I saw there was someone under the prison van. The air ambulance landed at that time nearby. A (very small) minority in the crowd were accusing the police of racism (?) and a couple of the local characters were "helping" the police direct the traffic (and generally getting in the way). Hope it's not as serious as it looked.

:D
33583416_483706a339.jpg

that guy's really creepy. he starts with budgie tricks and moves on (with considerable bitterness) to rants about his failed music biz career, attempts to sell you CDs (the songs on which generally seem to be about great Britain used to be) and eulogies to the fucking Queen Mum :D

I arrived just after the accident at the same time the first police were getting there. An ambulance was already there. A few people were getting very angry at the driver and someone had broken his passenger window. The person was trapped under the van the whole time, it looked as if the front wheels of the van had gone right over them. A lot of police arrived just afterwards and moved everyone away from the van, although a few people threw things at the van and someone bent back the windscreen wipers. The driver of the van was still sitting in the drivers seat. It took quite a long time to get medical attention to the person under the van as they had to bring firemen. A helicopter which I think was a flying ambulance rather than the police flew over but didn't land. At 6 o'clock when I left the driver wasn't in the van any more but I hadn't seen any prisoners being taken away. At this point the emergency services were holding a tarpaulin in front of the van where the person was trapped.
Quite a few people were getting irate with both the driver of the van and the police, but most of the onlookers were calm. The police were quite relaxed, but moving people very firmly away from the area.
I have no idea if this is true, but someone said that the victim was one of the people who hangs out in the park in front of the Ritzy, and wasn't right in the head. Apparently she was standing or dancing in front of the van, which stopped, and then started moving towards her. She tried to hang on to the windscreen wipers, then went underneath the van. As usual there must have been a lot of people in that area when it happened so presumably it will be clear how the accident happened

I live just by where this happened + have been watching the aftermath from my window. I seriously hope the van driver didn't deliberately keep driving with the woman trying to cling onto his windscreen, but whatever happened it's been treated more seriously than any other serious event I can remember seeing out here in the last 16 years.

One slightly odd thing: the poor woman's body was taken away in a blacked out vehicle (hearse) with "private ambulance" painted on the side, not a regular ambulance car. Can't work out why.

The roads are all still cordoned off and pedestrians still aren't being allowed through, although the Serco van is currently being removed on a flatbed truck.

Are the drivers in those vans behind any protection? I can't say I've ever noticed.

If so, their vision will be obscured, and also there is a kind of detachment that happens when you're behind security.

It wasn't a state mortuary van. It was definitely a commercial vehicle.

My first thought was that the victim might be from an orthodox Jewish family (I'm Jewish) and that her family had despatched a private firm to ensure all her body parts were removed for burial, but if everything else on this forum is true that seems unlikely (not that she was Jewish, but that her family would both have known about the incident and have been able to respond as quickly etc.)

Maybe the NHS/police pay commercial companies to cover this kind of incident :confused:

Are the drivers in those vans behind any protection? I can't say I've ever noticed.

If so, their vision will be obscured, and also there is a kind of detachment that happens when you're behind security.

Drivers of those prison vans are trained to avoid potential hijackings... if she had grabbed the wipers (as one report suggested) - he would have had to take some kind of action.

It probably looked deliberate to onlookers, hence the police enquiries now underway.

^

Thanks for the info.

I've just found out that the woman who died was Naomi aka Gully, a great character known for wearing multicoloured clothes including a Marlboro leather jacket. She'll be missed.

it's still manic out there now. bits of brixton are eerily calm, others are chock full of diverted traffic. for some reason there are angry people and shouting crackheads all over the place. coldharbour lane seems really tense. a friend of mine says that it happened seconds before she got on the scene and that an angry mob were shouting "murderers" and trying to break into the van or something. here in brixton a lot of people don't like the prison system i guess and it doesn't take much more than a tragic accident to turn it into a reason for a riot.

^

Thanks for the info.

I've just found out that the woman who died was Naomi aka Gully, a great character known for wearing multicoloured clothes including a Marlboro leather jacket. She'll be missed.

can't say I can picture her but the Marlboro jacket definitely sounds familiar :(

^

Thanks for the info.

Blimey, that's awful. So sorry for her friends and family.

BTW - BBC say that the driver's been arrested...

^

Thanks for the info.

Fuck. She was a nutter yes. But a good soul from what I knew of her. RIP dear.

[QUOTE It wasn't a state mortuary van. It was definitely a commercial vehicle. QUOTE]

Quite normal. No such thing as a "state mortuary van" - local undertakers on a call out from the coroners office, Dignity being the biggest - black toyota van

[QUOTE It wasn't a state mortuary van. It was definitely a commercial vehicle. QUOTE]

Quite normal. No such thing as a "state mortuary van" - local undertakers on a call out from the coroners office, Dignity being the biggest - black toyota van

Nice one. Thanks for clearing that up, fat Andy. It was bothering me.

:)

I've seen some reckless driving of those serco vans up brixton road before, but this seems like something else entirely. hopefully a clear picture of events will present itself soon. tragic day though no matter what.

Has anyone come across "The organisation for homeless and unemployed people"? I bought some cloths and other cack from some door-to-door guy the other. Not great stuff, but not really over priced either. Can't find any mention of them online though. Are they a scam? I'm off Landor Road btw.

Has anyone come across "The organisation for homeless and unemployed people"? I bought some cloths and other cack from some door-to-door guy the other. Not great stuff, but not really over priced either. Can't find any mention of them online though. Are they a scam? I'm off Landor Road btw.
I know that there's some dodgy scams that involve peoples collecting clothes for non existent charities and then flogging them on.

This would explain the homeless looking woman who was running into M&S and superdrug wailing and screaming. probably a distraught friend of hers.:(

I know that there's some dodgy scams that involve peoples collecting clothes for non existent charities and then flogging them on.

Yeah, have seen those leaflets, get at least two a week. Have told the distributors to fuck off, but they're probably just getting paid to deliver them. This was different, was a convincing sales guy at the door going on about how deprived kids would get a weekend away if I bought a certain amount and other such guff. Not a huge scam as I needed the stuff I bought, but no mention of them being a proper charity, so just wondering.

Yeah, have seen those leaflets, get at least two a week. Have told the distributors to fuck off, but they're probably just getting paid to deliver them. This was different, was a convincing sales guy at the door going on about how deprived kids would get a weekend away if I bought a certain amount and other such guff. Not a huge scam as I needed the stuff I bought, but no mention of them being a proper charity, so just wondering.

Yes, these guys show up at our door now and again. Usually a youngish bloke with a kind of big tray full of cleaning stuff. I've never bought anything from them. I've also wondered whether or not they are genuine. They are usually polite enough when I say no thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom