Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Brixton chitter chatter part 1 (Nov 2006-June 2008)

Status
Not open for further replies.
gaijingirl said:
It's a shame to lose a pub but The Two Woodcocks wasn't exactly renowned for its popularity
Damn shame. After five years I'd almost worked up the courage to go in there. Did they actually have, you know, beer and stuff? From the outside it always looked a bit doubtful.

The Two Woodcocks has an alcohol license application in the window (been there a couple of weeks now).

Lambeth is holding an "information and fun day" with "family entertainment, free gifts and information" for the Brixton central square project - tomorrow, Tate Gardens 10am-4pm.

A pumpkin shaped glass carriage, pulled by 2 white plumed horses just went down brixton hill! What's that about?

wait and see what comes running back up the hill at, ooh, 5 past midnight?

The bookies opposite me seems to be a hotspot for trouble these days -I've seen cops going in quite a few times in recent weeks.

This morning outside the tube station there was a ruckus as a woman dragged a schoolgirl (of about 14yrs) away from a group of schoolboys. The daughter is screaming 'Mum don't embarrass me' and such like while the Mum is yelling 'stay away from them boys, they don't respect you' and the older sister is trying to calm things by loudly telling the boys to leave her sister alone. Reminded me of my mother trying to deal with my wayward sister. How shamed must the girl be????

Cycling through Brixton this morning I saw two Dutch tour coaches disgorging large numbers of kids who looked to be in their late teens....

surely they're not sending them here from Amsterdam....:confused: It's drugs tourism gone MAD!!! :eek: :eek: :D

I think someone tried to mug me or do me some kind of harm early on Saturday morning outside my house. I was coming home and spotted this fella about 100 yards in front of me, just outside my door. He looked a bit mental and was staring at me intently. I carried on walking confidently (never show fear), whilst wondering how I was gonna get past him, into my house. When I got 50 yards away, he turned around and sauntered to about 200 yards past my door and stopped. Relieved, I continued moving towards my door. He then started sprinting towards me as fast as he could, staring at me. I quickly got through the door and shut it. He then stopped and started walking casually away, with a sour grapes expression on his face. Weirdo!

gaijingirl said:
Cycling through Brixton this morning I saw two Dutch tour coaches disgorging large numbers of kids who looked to be in their late teens....

surely they're not sending them here from Amsterdam....:confused: It's drugs tourism gone MAD!!! :eek: :eek: :D

There often seem to be large groups of foreign schoolkids getting on the tube at about 9.30ish when I'm on my way to work. Usually German. Brixton must be a favourite unloading point for the tour coaches.

Orang Utan said:
I think someone tried to mug me or do me some kind of harm early on Saturday morning outside my house. I was coming home and spotted this fella about 100 yards in front of me, just outside my door. He looked a bit mental and was staring at me intently. I carried on walking confidently (never show fear), whilst wondering how I was gonna get past him, into my house. When I got 50 yards away, he turned around and sauntered to about 200 yards past my door and stopped. Relieved, I continued moving towards my door. He then started sprinting towards me as fast as he could, staring at me. I quickly got through the door and shut it. He then stopped and started walking casually away, with a sour grapes expression on his face. Weirdo!

Orang Utan you should definitely report that to the police- this nutter knows where you live! He might have done it before or try it again...

The Tulse Hill gate into Brockwell Park has been broken and unusable for coming up to two weeks now.... it's really beginning to piss me off - and everyone else on the Tulse Hill Estate I imagine. :mad:

Still, it's only a matter of time before the genteel residents of Brockwell Row get fed up with us all traipsing though their gated community and something gets done about it.

I hope.

editor said:
Anyone been to that poncey looking bar on Acre Lane (the one with the big windows and the grand piano on the first floor)?

We used to walk past regularly when Magneze was living that way, it was always sooo empty!

I'm not sure how they kept it going for so long, we've never ever seen it busy, not once...

Aah Acres. Often I catch the bus on the way home and find Urban's not-so-young Milesy McGinty on the front window seats of the no.37. And from our prominent position there we often peer down at the not-so-packed rooms of Acres, performing a customer spot check on the way through as a routine in-joke- passing at 7-8 in the evening many, many times and there's very rarely a soul in there.

It's still open though, with the front revamped recently. Perhaps it's busier at weekends, but it's fair to say that their Piano bar and celebrity named food (Luther Vandross Chicken anyone?) hasn't been pulling in punters from all around.

gaijingirl said:
The Tulse Hill gate into Brockwell Park has been broken and unusable for coming up to two weeks now.... it's really beginning to piss me off - and everyone else on the Tulse Hill Estate I imagine. :mad:

Still, it's only a matter of time before the genteel residents of Brockwell Row get fed up with us all traipsing though their gated community and something gets done about it.

I hope.

I just came through there and was thinking just the same thing.

I got to where the gate is and was prepared to have to jump over the wall at the side as per usual but was impressed to discover that someone has helpfully dismantled some nearby railings and used them to form a kind of ladder on each side of the wall. Cheers!

Attachments

• 020720071536-small.jpg
    020720071536-small.jpg
    19.3 KB · Views: 150
There was a note stuck to the shutters explaining The Lounge's refurb this morning when I went past. Apparently the old frontage was rotting badly and needed replacement, particularly the big old window frames.

There was a little bit of history on the note too - the Lounge is apparently on the site of the first Greig's supermarket, an early rival to Sainsburys. And, judging from Maynard's note, they've done everything possible to preserve the shopfront as close to its original state as possible, with wooden frames instead of aluminium and so on.

Does it look good now then?

teuchter said:
I just came through there and was thinking just the same thing.

I got to where the gate is and was prepared to have to jump over the wall at the side as per usual but was impressed to discover that someone has helpfully dismantled some nearby railings and used them to form a kind of ladder on each side of the wall. Cheers!

That is effin' brilliant!! Thanks for showing me that!! :D

A friend takes her baby son to a baby singing group on the Clapham borders. Today's excitement is that a dad turned up to the group too, with his child, and joined in the singing. So that's one group of women singing, and one bloke.

The bloke being Mark Owen.

:D

Apparently the singing was a bit "subdued". Apart from Mark who was belting 'em out like a trooper.

ianw said:
A friend takes her baby son to a baby singing group on the Clapham borders. Today's excitement is that a dad turned up to the group too, with his child, and joined in the singing. So that's one group of women singing, and one bloke.

The bloke being Mark Owen.

:D

Apparently the singing was a bit "subdued". Apart from Mark who was belting 'em out like a trooper.
That is *SO BLESS!* Mark Owen singing Hop Little Bunny Hop Hop Hop!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom