Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Brixton chitter chatter part 1 (Nov 2006-June 2008)

Status
Not open for further replies.
gaijingirl said:
Oh well I'm excited about it - so go and piss on someone else's bonfire

We can add it to Khans and Peppers and Spice for local places to get nice food. It's a shame to lose a pub but The Two Woodcocks wasn't exactly renowned for its popularity so the fact it's becoming a Portuguese restaurant - not an estate agents, nail bar or fried chicken shop is good enough for me. Plus Portuguese restaurants are generally really lively so hopefully it will add to the atmosphere of the parade :)

Portuguese yuppies :mad: Next you'll be telling me they serve coffee :p :D

editor said:
And the steam train just went past again, on the track that runs parallel with Coldharbour lane.

*unzips anorak

I can you that it was a Merchant Navy class loco pulling coaches in Southern green

*zips up anorak and leaves promptly

Pictures would be nice. I've NEVER seen this tree close up :(

story said:
Apparently, there are more Portugese people here in South London than anywhere else apart from Portugal.

Also, apparently, on every plane that leaves Portogual, about half the passengers are emigrating.

Apparently. According to a friend who is plugged into the Portugese community in Stockwell.

I used to live on the South Lambeth estate, which is heavily Portuguese. In fact, more specifically it was people from Madeira, which i think is the prevalent portuguese group over here..

Minnie_the_Minx said:
Pictures would be nice. I've NEVER seen this tree close up :(

having established it's a train not a tree you're after, here it is...

not from yesterday (and not my photo) but it's the same engine ...

34067_Brixton.jpg

Um this is also a wee bit out of bRIXTON... but, does anyone know anything of heard of rumours in West Norwood. One story tells of a GYM!!!! tHE CO OP has closed I am wondering if something is going in there.

teuchter said:
having established it's a train not a tree you're after, here it is...

not from yesterday (and not my photo) but it's the same engine ...

34067_Brixton.jpg

That's lovely :)

Looks a lot smaller than I'd expect it to look though

An awfully nice chap just knocked on my door and asked if he could steal my bicycle. As it's such a lovely day, I told him to be my guest.

:)

ianw said:
An awfully nice chap just knocked on my door and asked if he could steal my bicycle. As it's such a lovely day, I told him to be my guest.

:)

If only all criminals had such good manners, they wouldn't be such a nuisance.

Bleinham Gardens post office (sigh) put a card through my door yesterday - they now have an online facility to rearrange redelivery - which seems to work really well - or has done up until today when they redelivered all the parcels to us except for the perishable one... (plants) :mad:

So gaijinboy was duly packed off to pick them up - whereupon when he complained he was treated very well and asked about his general opinion on the postal service to our estate... :eek:

eh?

Crispy said:
That looks like Auckland...
its a bit freaky - he looks like a young version of my dad... bbrrr:( I didn't know he got around - does someone pay him to travel? and I always thought he was canadian...

gaijingirl said:
Bleinham Gardens post office (sigh) put a card through my door yesterday - they now have an online facility to rearrange redelivery - which seems to work really well - or has done up until today when they redelivered all the parcels to us except for the perishable one... (plants) :mad:

So gaijinboy was duly packed off to pick them up - whereupon when he complained he was treated very well and asked about his general opinion on the postal service to our estate... :eek:

eh?

I'll have to go down there myself and have a word with them soon about chucking cards in saying they tried to deliver and there's no reply. Don't even give you a chance to get to the front door :mad:

we got delivered our parcel by an actual postman two weeks running now! :eek: - Which got us out of bed on a saturday morning, I thnk maybe I prefer the red cards ;)

Minnie_the_Minx said:
I'll have to go down there myself and have a word with them soon about chucking cards in saying they tried to deliver and there's no reply. Don't even give you a chance to get to the front door :mad:

I actually got out of the bath and ran down the street in a towel with soap in my hair one day after getting one of those through the door - he didn't actually have the parcel with him anyway... :mad:

But I was surprised to see them asking us what we thought of the service - usually they more or less tell me to fuck off if I complain!

gaijingirl said:
I actually got out of the bath and ran down the street in a towel with soap in my hair one day after getting one of those through the door - he didn't actually have the parcel with him anyway... :mad:

But I was surprised to see them asking us what we thought of the service - usually they more or less tell me to fuck off if I complain!

I have their direct line somewhere but I think I lost it. Gave to me before Christmas when they put a "mail monitor" on my post

Looks like another take-away opening soon on Coldharbour Lane opposite Super Save in Loughborough J. Not sure what it's going to be but it's next door to the Jamaican place, Blessed something.

Not quite Brixton but...

There are always so many threads on this forum looking for hotels in Brixton. The Dex members' lounge, club and hotel (above KFC) seems to be definitely happening (according to the lastest edition of Lambeth Life) - slated to open in June 2007.

But also this new hotel in Camberwell got a stonkingly good review in The Guardian on Saturday.

The Church Street Hotel. It's not the most budget option in London - but not massively unreasonable either - probably good for visiting parents etc.

gaijingirl said:
There are always so many threads on this forum looking for hotels in Brixton. The Dex members' lounge, club and hotel (above KFC) seems to be definitely happening (according to the lastest edition of Lambeth Life) - slated to open in June 2007.

found this as well http://www.dexclub.co.uk/

£240 a year to drink above the kfc anyone?:D

somehow I don't think their roof terrace is quite ready yet...

The old cinema/shop/restaurant/camping centre on Briston Hill opposite the White Horse is getting a lick of paint in preparation for some sort of opening. Any ideas what might be appaearing soon?

alexG said:
The old cinema/shop/restaurant/camping centre on Briston Hill opposite the White Horse is getting a lick of paint in preparation for some sort of opening. Any ideas what might be appaearing soon?

No, but I noticed a great big leasehold sign on it the other day

Mango Landin' have started doing food again which is good, but it used to be completely veggie and vegan which I liked. Anyway here's the menu if anyone's interested.

SANDWICHESserved on organic Granary or White Buns with Lettuce Bacon Cheese Burger & Chilli Relish - £4.25 Spiced Bean and Tofu Burger & Chilli Relish (v) - £3.95 Home-made Fish Fingers and real Tartar Sauce - £4.15 Scrumpy Cider Sausages with Apple Chutney & Salad - £4.15 Marinaded Goat’s Cheese & Char-grilled Veg (v) - £4.25 SIDES Handcut Chips with Cheese and Jalepenos - £2.75/£3.75 Mixed Salad £2.75 Chunky Bread and Butter £2.15 Chilli Nuts / Marinaded Olives / Dried Tomatoes £2.00 SNACKS Grilled Butterflied Sardines with Herby Garlic Mayo - £3.75 Mushrooms on Toast Shallots & Balsamic (v) - £3.50 Thai Mussels with Coconut Milk, Lemongrass and Chilli - £3.75 Breaded Red Wine Risotto Balls Stuffed with Stilton (v) - £3.50 Hummous and Baba Ganoush with Bread (v) - £2.95 Snack Platters to Share (3-4 people) - £10.95 The mayo is home-made with organic egg yolks.All the relishes and chutneys are home-made,… …..basically everything is!! ORGANIC JUICES Fresh Organic JuicesCarrot, Beetroot, Ginger, Apple or Orange - £2.00Any Combo - £2.50 Open: Tues, Wed, Thurs: 6.00 – 10.00pmFri, Sat, Sun: 12 noon – 11.00pm Barbeques in the Garden every weekend during the Summer from 12 noon.Commencing Saturday, 5 May.

I ate there on my birthday - t'aint bad! And they've got these two Roman barmen who do European measures in the cocktails - drunktastic!

Anyone been to that poncey looking bar on Acre Lane (the one with the big windows and the grand piano on the first floor)?

editor said:
Anyone been to that poncey looking bar on Acre Lane (the one with the big windows and the grand piano on the first floor)?
Acres - no, even though it's the closest to my gaff bar the Trintiy. I gave it three months when it first opened but it's still hanging on, and pretty busy at the weekends. Not sure about the private members' club though.

Another steam loco just puffed by, pulling a lovely train of chocolate and cream coloured Pullman carriages.

Nobhead outside KFC

That crazy street preacher ("brothers and sisters - REPENT!!") is outside KFC ranting on and on about homosexuals and hellfire.

I feel like punching him.
:mad:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom