Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Britain to ban sale of all diesel and petrol cars and vans from 2040

Out of interest how many new power stations will we need for this. And is nuclear a go?
As we're adopting newer and more energy efficient technologies the demand on the grid has fallen so there is capacity already to cope with an increase in EVs. Watch this Youtube video from 2:59 onward for a more thorough explanation.

Out of interest how many new power stations will we need for this. And is nuclear a go?

There isnt much of an alternative currently, is there. Even if renewables is over half we are going to need nuclear to move away from coal/gas and to ensure power security in the event of future disasters disrupting French system etc.

I think pushing for full electric is great news but requires huge changes in the economy and industrial policy from the government... not sure if we will see that happen though in the next 5 years.

There isnt much of an alternative currently, is there. Even if renewables is over half we are going to need nuclear to move away from coal/gas and to ensure power security in the event of future disasters disrupting French system etc.

I think pushing for full electric is great news but requires huge changes in the economy and industrial policy from the government... not sure if we will see that happen though in the next 5 years.

I guess that's what I'm curious about. It's one thing to announce we won't have a new petrol or diesel cars in 15 years, another on how it will be delivered.

As we're adopting newer and more energy efficient technologies the demand on the grid has fallen so there is capacity already to cope with an increase in EVs. Watch this Youtube video from 2:59 onward for a more thorough explanation.

I'm at work at the moment, so can't watch it at the moment, but surely we are talking orders of magnitude if all new cars need to be powered that way.

I'm at work at the moment, so can't watch it at the moment, but surely we are talking orders of magnitude if all new cars need to be powered that way.
I have to admit I didn’t rewatch the whole portion of the video where the panelist from the National Grid was explaining things but the gist of it was that our electricity requirements have dropped by 15 or 16% in recent years and the added need from EVs would only be about 10%. I guess this assumes we continue to have the same capacity. I think another factor is that (for those who could charge at home) the draw from the grid would be overnight when the demand is at its lowest and therefore the capacity would be available.

Back
Top Bottom