Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Britain to ban sale of all diesel and petrol cars and vans from 2040

I know I've asked this before but has anyone got a convincing explanation/excuse for why you're allowed to buy a car with a five litre engine that goes 180mph when no cunt should be doing even half that anywhere?

Well you can do whatever speed you like on private land and there are lots of tracks around the country where people fizz around. I do agree though some of the top speeds are pretty crazy.

Well you can do whatever speed you like on private land and there are lots of tracks around the country where people fizz around. I do agree though some of the top speeds are pretty crazy.

I'm off the opinion that the right of others to enjoy peace and quiet and breathable air should outweigh the right of a few tosspots to hoon about burning untold gallons of actual children's futures.

And let's be honest, most people in overpowered cars aren't going to racetracks. They're pootling around the suburbs and occasionally tailgating me down the M42.

I know I've asked this before but has anyone got a convincing explanation/excuse for why you're allowed to buy a car with a five litre engine that goes 180mph when no cunt should be doing even half that anywhere?
the law dictates how you drive on the public road, it does not refer to the potential of your vehicle. If you travel to Germany you can go as fast as you like on the Autobahn, also here in the UK you can drive on a track if you wish.

You mention fast cars, but there are also fast motorbikes, it is much cheaper to get Ferrari type performance by buying a motorbike than it is to save up for a performance car.

the law dictates how you drive on the public road, it does not refer to the potential of your vehicle. If you travel to Germany you can go as fast as you like on the Autobahn, also here in the UK you can drive on a track if you wish.

You mention fast cars, but there are also fast motorbikes, it is much cheaper to get Ferrari type performance by buying a motorbike than it is to save up for a performance car.

People with fast motorbikes can fuck off as well. The noise those things make is a crime against humanity.

I'm off the opinion that the right of others to enjoy peace and quiet and breathable air should outweigh the right of a few tosspots to hoon about burning untold gallons of actual children's futures.

And let's be honest, most people in overpowered cars aren't going to racetracks. They're pootling around the suburbs and occasionally tailgating me down the M42.
time to issue track only licenses only for anything 20 mph faster than the speed limit

What is it about the legal actions of others which differ from yourself that makes you want to prevent them doing things they enjoy?

What is it about the legal actions of others which differ from yourself that makes you want to prevent them doing things they enjoy?

Many forms of enjoyment are considered too socially or environmentally damaging to be acceptable. If I wanted to walk down the high street screaming in people's faces for my own entertainment, a policeman would soon be along to tell me that the right of other people not to be screamed at trumps my right to scream at them. And yet if you're behind the wheel of some idiotic Lamborghini, you are for some reason permitted to make an unlmited amount of horrible noise in public places and spit out a load of toxic waste while you're at it.

In any case, driving overpowered cars is more about status and the soothing of inadequacies than actual enjoyment. You can enjoy driving perfectly well without a 3 litre engine.

I don't get irritated in the slightest when a Lambo, Ferrari, insert whatever supercar here, drives past, they aren't very loud compared to motorbikes which also don't bother me.
In any case, driving overpowered cars is more about status and the soothing of inadequacies than actual enjoyment. You can enjoy driving perfectly well without a 3 litre engine.
You seem to have a rather unwarranted confidence in your abilities to discern the motivations of those who own or drive such things. Yet you are keen to somehow regulate them.

Personally I think supercars and superbikes represent a pinnacle of engineering, they can be beautiful things and that people aspire to own or drive them is not a surprise to me.

Many forms of enjoyment are considered too socially or environmentally damaging to be acceptable. If I wanted to walk down the high street screaming in people's faces for my own entertainment, a policeman would soon be along to tell me that the right of other people not to be screamed at trumps my right to scream at them. And yet if you're behind the wheel of some idiotic Lamborghini, you are for some reason permitted to make an unlmited amount of horrible noise in public places and spit out a load of toxic waste while you're at it.

As far as noise sources go - do you live in Dubai or something? :)

You seem to have a rather unwarranted confidence in your abilities to discern the motivations of those who own or drive such things. Yet you are keen to somehow regulate them.

To be honest I don't give a fuck why someone would buy a fast car. I'm sure there are as many reasons as there are things to feel inadequate about, but none of those reasons have any bearing on the acceptability of driving such noisy, dirty, dangerous contraptions.

To be honest I don't give a fuck why someone would buy a fast car. I'm sure there are as many reasons as there are things to feel inadequate about, but none of those reasons have any bearing on the acceptability of driving such noisy, dirty, dangerous contraptions.
Live and let live is my feeling, they don't do me any harm.

Last edited:
Banning super cars where I live wouldn't make any difference to life at all. I think I see one a week on the main road.

Probably different in Monaco or Knightsbridge of course.

The new Tesla can do 320 miles on a single charge and can do 0 to 60 in sub 6 seconds. That's the kinda shit that would make me make the switch. Except I can't afford one.

I'll be curious to see how carsike this fair in 10 years. In theory they should last well, but early days. Of course they will need new batteries and that won't be cheap.

My vision for electric, intelligent cars is an integrated, publicly owned system of modular components... Residential areas served by car-like 20mph 1-4 person modules. Want to do a big shop or move something large? Order an extra luggage module. Going further you might link into a nearby tram network, which your module will hook to automatically. Travelling long distances you (or the tram minus its traction section) will connect to a high-speed train (obviously one of those super-fast vacuum ones which I though of long before Musk). The system maps and predicts demand to minimise unoccupied travel time, it uses a smart grid to optimise charging hours. All based on a series of traction motors.

The new Tesla can do 320 miles on a single charge and can do 0 to 60 in sub 6 seconds. That's the kinda shit that would make me make the switch. Except I can't afford one.

I'll be curious to see how carsike this fair in 10 years. In theory they should last well, but early days. Of course they will need new batteries and that won't be cheap.

Someone in a Tesla model S has managed 670 miles on a single charge!

A Tesla Model S 100D just drove 670 miles (1,078km) on a single charge

And, according to following link, one version can do 0 to 60 in only 2.5 seconds.

Order a Model S

Just a shame about the £60k price tag. :(

Tesla are definitely stealing all the EV headlines at the moment.

And I saw a Model S outside the local shop here in the sticks about 4 months ago.

A sleek white estate car it was, I chatted with the owner who professed himself satisfied with it in every way.

0-60 in an electric car is kind of irrelevant. They're all inherently good at it, because electric motors are good at it.

My mate's next door neighbour works at Nissan and got a workers deal on an all electric leaf and has had it for about 18 months now.

He's happy with the concept but finds the range and battery longevity disappointing, when new he was getting between 90-100 miles per charge ( about average for these cars), after 18 months that is down to 40-60 miles for the same amount of charge time. There are a LOT of write ups on the leaf and it's disappointing battery life, with replacement batteries running at 15k, this is not a very green car.

2.8 seconds is nuts.

Surely its one of the most relevant things, especially if you don't have to drive a car drinks silly amount of fuel to achieve it.
Relevant to electric cars as a family, but not a good indicator of anything much in comparisons of models, especially electric vs ICE. A Nissan Leaf is pretty quick off the line, and would be even quicker were its limits removed.

Relevant to electric cars as a family, but not a good indicator of anything much in comparisons of models, especially electric vs ICE. A Nissan Leaf is pretty quick off the line, and would be even quicker were its limits removed.

Didn't know that they put limiters on them. Is it a range thing? 11 seconds is a very conservative speed to set it at.

Didn't know that they put limiters on them. Is it a range thing? 11 seconds is a very conservative speed to set it at.
The relatively quick bit isn't 0-60, it's 0-20 or less, where a combustion engine makes no power and delivers no torque because it takes time to do so. Within that, I don't know for sure, but I reckon the electric motors are probably configured to deliver significantly less than their full capability, as it wouldn't be in most people's interests to do so.

Back
Top Bottom