Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Britain to ban sale of all diesel and petrol cars and vans from 2040

The relatively quick bit isn't 0-60, it's 0-20 or less, where a combustion engine makes no power and delivers no torque because it takes time to do so. Within that, I don't know for sure, but I reckon the electric motors are probably configured to deliver significantly less than their full capability, as it wouldn't be in most people's interests to do so.

They limit current draw from the batteries to extend the lifespan of power train components. That's why ludicrous mode Teslas have a special super expensive inconel fuse that can take a 1,500A draw without vapourising.

Spotted this in the registers comments section.

The future is diesel
The future is diesel, not electric. Here's why:

1. There is already a network of pumps that serve diesel in the UK. There are no pumps that dispense liquid electricity.

2. Manufacturers are already making diesel cars and people can buy them right now (or at least when the forecourts open). Apart from a handful of manufacturers, no-one makes electric cars.

3. Diesel exhaust pipes are near the ground. If you are older than around 4 (5 for girls) and have survived, you're now safe because you're too tall to breathe the fumes. If there were any. Electric shocks can kill.

4. The so-called 'particles' emitted by diesel engines are so tiny they can't possibly be doing anyone any harm. Contrast that with lightning. See?

5. Many trains are electric, and look at how many are late or are cancelled, or are standing room only.

6. Electric cars need either batteries (the size of caravans), or overhead power lines (like trains) or long mains leads (like hoovers). The manufacturers are keeping very quiet about that.

7. Electric cars are useless in parts of the country that don't have electricity like Wales and Slough.

8. Where as diesel cars make a manly roar when driven, all electric cars sound like Katie Price explaining lipstick to hyenas.

9. Look at this: Hummer Owner Assistance | GM.com - If it was electric, it'd be pink.

Not your work is it mauvais?

I was surprised to notice recently in ad for a typical 3-year lease of an electric car that as well as the normal instalments there was an extra ''battery rental' fee of about £15 if memory serves. Can someone explain how that works?

I was surprised to notice recently in ad for a typical 3-year lease of an electric car that as well as the normal instalments there was an extra ''battery rental' fee of about £15 if memory serves. Can someone explain how that works?

Possibly the batteries have a pretty crummy life span so instead of buying one as part of the car you pay your flat rate and they replace your battery when it craps out.

Personally if I was making a product with a shit lifespan I'd feel obliged to take the resulting financial hit myself, and not unload it onto my customers.

0-60 in an electric car is kind of irrelevant. They're all inherently good at it, because electric motors are good at it.

But if you're the sort of cretin who buys a car based on how fast it does 0 - 60 then it is relevant.

But if you're the sort of cretin who buys a car based on how fast it does 0 - 60 then it is relevant.

It's not unreasonable, when taken into account along with other factors like fuel consumption. If I want to over take a tractor on a country road its safer to do so in my current car then my old one, but I wouldn't have bought it if that was at the expense of having to pay more to run it.

Possibly the batteries have a pretty crummy life span so instead of buying one as part of the car you pay your flat rate and they replace your battery when it craps out.

Personally if I was making a product with a shit lifespan I'd feel obliged to take the resulting financial hit myself, and not unload it onto my customers.

Given that current batteries do have a finite lifespan does this mean car manufacturers should sell all their EVs at a loss? :confused:

Given that current batteries do have a finite lifespan does this mean car manufacturers should sell all their EVs at a loss? :confused:

Or just sell them for an honest all-in price and not go chucking in extra charges for batteries. It's not like the battery is an optional extra is it?

Or just sell them for an honest all-in price and not go chucking in extra charges for batteries. It's not like the battery is an optional extra is it?

So they build into the cost of the car a lifetimes worth of free batteries. I can see the upfront cost of that car being rather high. Do second hand buyers also get free battery replacements?

Because long term battery longevity is at this point not entirely proven, you buy the car but rent the battery and therefore avoid/simplify the maintenance liability, which rests with the manufacturer. It helps them sell cars to doubters, and may or may not generate extra money I guess.

So they build into the cost of the car a lifetimes worth of free batteries. I can see the upfront cost of that car being rather high. Do second hand buyers also get free battery replacements?

Or guarantee the batteries for x number of years, sort of like what car manufacturers do with car parts.

It also helps reduce the headline cost of the car, and divvy up monthly payments into multiple categories to obfuscate what you're really paying.

Most vendors these days let you choose between buying outright (with some warranty as to how long it will perform) and renting one. But from a marketing PoV they'll probably go with the rental illustration as again the up front price is lower.

The date is to be brought forward to 2035, and will be extended to include hybrid & plug-in hybrid vehicles now, so only electric & hydrogen cars will be sold.

Government bring forwards sales ban of new petrol and diesel cars by five years and expands it to hybrid and plug-in hybrids
The sale of all new petrol, diesel and hybrid cars - including plug-in hybrids - will be banned from 2035 rather than 2040, the Prime Minister and Transport Secretary have announced.

The 2040 ban had already been considered ambitious by some, but moving it forwards by five years is arguably the less significant of the two announcements. The fate of conventional hybrids had been in the balance since the 2040 ban was originally announced as part of the Government’s Road to Zero strategy in of 2018, but it had always been assumed that plug-in hybrids (PHEVs) - which can run on battery power alone for between roughly 20 to 70 miles - would be spared the axe.

Good re hybrids, they’re bullshit to make smug liberals feel smug whilst not using any less juice than a non-hybrid in real world driving.

You can get about 60mpg out an RR Sport PHEV. The only way you'd get that form a normal RR Sport is with a couple of dray horses pulling it. You do have to actively manage and maximise the electric propulsion though which most punters won't bother with.

The date is to be brought forward to 2035, and will be extended to include hybrid & plug-in hybrid vehicles now, so only electric & hydrogen cars will be sold.

what hydrogen cars? There aren’t any in existence are there, production prototype’s??

what hydrogen cars? There aren’t any in existence are there, production prototype’s??

The article mentions two, but not currently on sale to the public.

New hydrogen cars would also be allowed to be sold from 2035, but the Toyota Mirai and Hyundai Nexo are the only hydrogen cars from mainstream manufacturers, and these are not available on the general market at present.

Fairly good reviews on both.

You can get about 60mpg out an RR Sport PHEV. The only way you'd get that form a normal RR Sport is with a couple of dray horses pulling it. You do have to actively manage and maximise the electric propulsion though which most punters won't bother with.

Exactly, You have to totally change your driving style to get anywhere near the advertised MPGs, which owners of a RR Sport or a Panamera won't be doing...

There was and probably still is a healthy tax benefit in driving a hybrid over a standard diesel and petrol regarding company cars. My brief experience of one was that fuel consumption was excellent when pottering around town but pretty crap on motorways / dual carriageways, so really it depends on what sort of driving you do.

Lack of filling stations is a major problem.

Now we come to the big stumbling block for fuel-cell vehicles: Today, it’s nearly impossible to get fuel outside California. The California Fuel Cell Partnership lists 35 currently operating hydrogen fueling stations, almost all within Los Angeles or the Bay Area. If the owner of a fuel-cell vehicle wants to travel elsewhere in the country, they’re out of luck.

“Consumers love the vehicles,” says Wipke. “The challenge has really been building fueling stations fast enough to keep up with the demand.”

While the fuel-cell industry isn’t meeting that demand, it’s not for a lack of trying. The industry is opening approximately one new fueling station a month, and is on track to meet its goal of 200 stations in California by 2025. Even so, hydrogen would remain far behind the approximately 8,500 gas stations currently in the state, as well as the 17,000 electric charging stations for battery vehicles.

Back
Top Bottom